Working with Images questions and Lightpod

Ryan Kent

I seem to need a basic lesson in working with Images and Lightpod. First I need to confirm my understanding of an "embedded image" vs an "attached image".

If I can see the actual image or thumbnail, then it is considered an embedded image? Is that correct?

If I use the Insert/Edit image BBC button that I see as I type this message, then I would be embedding the image? Is that correct? Example:
xftestimage.jpg

If I use the "Upload a File" button to display the image then I have three options:
1. I can select "Thumbnail"
2. I can select "Full Image"
3. I can select nothing, which then displays an attachment

Thumbnail example:
XFtestimage.webp

Full Image example:
XFtestimage.webp

Attachment example:

My questions are:

1. Is my understanding correct so far?

2. If so, is using the Upload a File --> Full Image option identical to the Insert/Edit image option?

3. Lightpod only works with attached images, correct? Whatever benefits it offers don't apply if the image is embedded?

4. If Lightpod only works with attached images, should I try to encourage posters to always attach images rather then embed them so the site offers a richer gallery?

5. The Media Recent add-on for XenPorta will only work with attachments? Or will it consider embedded images as well?

Again I apologize for the many questions. I am a student here...and will remain a student of XF for a long time!

Attachments

• XFtestimage.webp
    XFtestimage.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 12
Uploading an image will store the file on your server. This enables you to control who can see the full size version if you disable that permission for guests.

Embedding an image from a remote server is also known as hotlinking and is sometimes prohibited. If the remote server ever removes or changes that image then it will no longer display in the post, or will display a different image.

The ligthbox is only triggered by attached images, not embedded images. Embedded images will show in it once it is loaded though.

I appreciate your response but I still don't understand.

When I use the Insert/Edit Image button am I embedding an image? Or Attaching one?
When I use the Upload a File button, and then press Thumbnail or Full Image, is that image embedded or attached?
It would seem that if I use the Upload a File button and select nothing, the image is attached.

The first image which was posted via Insert/Edit Image button appears identical to the 3rd image which was posted with the Upload a Image --> Full Image button. However when I edit the post, the latter image is posted with the BB code.

So my confusion is....these images appear identically but if the first one is hotlinked, and that is a problem, wouldn't it be best to modify my template and remove the Insert/Edit Image button?

Also, if someone can assist with questions 4 & 5 below, I'd appreciate it.

4. If Lightpod only works with attached images, should I try to encourage posters to always attach images rather then embed them so the site offers a richer gallery?

5. The Media Recent add-on for XenPorta will only work with attachments? Or will it consider embedded images as well?

Again, sorry to ask all these questions but it seems clear my understanding here is necessary to optimize by forums.

When I use the Insert/Edit Image button am I embedding an image? Or Attaching one?
Embedding.

When I use the Upload a File button, and then press Thumbnail or Full Image, is that image embedded or attached?
It would seem that if I use the Upload a File button and select nothing, the image is attached.
If you embed it then you are embedding an attached image.

Don't forget the Upload a File button is for more than just images, it covers any file type you specify in the ACP. These are all generically referred to as attachments. Of course only images can be embedded.

Also, if someone can assist with questions 4 & 5 below, I'd appreciate it.
Question 4 is somewhat personal preference as it will depend on storage space, server speed, etc. but it also has to do with copyright.
Do the posters have permission to download those images and then upload them as attachments to your server?

For question 5 you will have to ask in the add-on thread, I don't use XenPorta.

Brogan, I am a big fan of yours. You consistently reply to questions VERY fast and thoroughly. So please don't take me the wrong way when I say

If you embed it then you are embedding an attached image.

answers like that drive me up the wall! It's like going to the dictionary to look up the meaning for the word "antogonist" and then find the definition as "someone who antogonizes".
mad.png
I still am not clear.

If I see the BB code as [ATTACHED][/ATTACHED] might the image still be embedded?

Is there any way from looking at an image in a post (normal view, not editing) to know whether the image is attached or embedded?

I feel there is some very basic concept I am missing here. It's probably obvious to others who have worked with forums and websites for a long time, but it's something I am missing.

I'm not really sure what else I can say to make it any clearer.

Embedding simply means to display the image inline in the post, as opposed to a URL link to the image or an attached file which is displayed at the bottom of the post.

Is there any way from looking at an image in a post (normal view, not editing) to know whether the image is attached or embedded?
Only if an attached/uploaded image has been set as a thumbnail, as it's not possible to do this with a linked image.
Otherwise the appearance is identical.

Ok thank you. I *think* I understand now. One final test of that understanding would be:

100% of images added to a post via Insert/Edit Image are embedded, correct?
and 100% of images added to a post via Upload a File are attached, correct?

If those answers are both Yes, I understand. If not, I'll stop by my community college next week and chase down some answers.

100% of images added to a post via Insert/Edit Image are embedded, correct?
Not quite.
They are attached but only embedded if you set them as a thumbnail or full size image.
The image below is an attachment but it has not been embedded.

and 100% of images added to a post via Upload a File are attached, correct?
Yes.

It's possible the lightbox is confusing the issue somewhat as without it, attached images which aren't embedded would be opened in another window.

Attachments

• attachment.webp
    attachment.webp
    25 KB · Views: 11
The "yes" was wonderful.

It's possible the lightbox is confusing the issue somewhat as without it, attached images which aren't embedded would be opened in another window.

I think the confusion is actually here. I thought an image was either attached OR embedded. Based on your last statement it seems an attached image can be embedded also. That's was a big source of misunderstanding on my part.

If an attached image is embedded, then Lightbox can work with it, correct? And there is no hotlinking issue, right?

If the answers are both yes, I'll die a happy man :)

I would like to modify my BB Code template to avoid any images being embedded. I am guessing the best way to do this would be to remove the Insert/Edit Image icon or better still, modify it so that it triggers the Upload a File action. I realize that a user could still type the BB Code to Insert an image, but I think that will be uncommon.

Can anyone advise me how to make this change?

If this change is successful, my forums will never experience issues whereby images are removed by image host companies, etc...correct?

I would like to modify my BB Code template to avoid any images being embedded. I am guessing the best way to do this would be to remove the Insert/Edit Image icon or better still, modify it so that it triggers the Upload a File action. I realize that a user could still type the BB Code to Insert an image, but I think that will be uncommon.

Can anyone advise me how to make this change?

I looked all over but I couldn't find where to remove the IMG editor shortcut. :(

If this change is successful, my forums will never experience issues whereby images are removed by image host companies, etc...correct?

Correct.

I would like to follow up on Ryans question, as it looks like some of my users are getting confused by the "Insert/edit image" button in the editor toolbar.

Is there any way to :

a) hide it from the editor toolbar

or

b) make it so that it actually triggers the standard "Upload a file" function ?

Would be great if Brogan or anybody could help out here.

Thanks in advance.

I would like to follow up on Ryans question, as it looks like some of my users are getting confused by the "Insert/edit image" button in the editor toolbar.

Is there any way to :

a) hide it from the editor toolbar

or

b) make it so that it actually triggers the standard "Upload a file" function ?

Would be great if Brogan or anybody could help out here.

Thanks in advance.
I agree. even my users are all confused and complaining. They ask why insert image does not give option to upload like it does in any other platform they visit. All I can tell them now is 'this is the modern way' :confused:
Damn confusing for most non-webmaster users I must say, I dont understand how XenForo guys missed this common-sense feature. Atleast the embed image thing should be allowed to be hidden if they cannot provide both the upload and hotlink feature for embeds under 1 place.

I don't see why it would be confusing to them and I work in IT so I'm very familiar with having to dumb things down, but damn, that's something else...

Top Bottom