Working with Images questions and Lightpod

Ryan Kent

I seem to need a basic lesson in working with Images and Lightpod. First I need to confirm my understanding of an "embedded image" vs an "attached image".

If I can see the actual image or thumbnail, then it is considered an embedded image? Is that correct?

If I use the Insert/Edit image BBC button that I see as I type this message, then I would be embedding the image? Is that correct? Example:
xftestimage.jpg

If I use the "Upload a File" button to display the image then I have three options:
1. I can select "Thumbnail"
2. I can select "Full Image"
3. I can select nothing, which then displays an attachment

Thumbnail example:
XFtestimage.webp

Full Image example:
XFtestimage.webp

Attachment example:

My questions are:

1. Is my understanding correct so far?

2. If so, is using the Upload a File --> Full Image option identical to the Insert/Edit image option?

3. Lightpod only works with attached images, correct? Whatever benefits it offers don't apply if the image is embedded?

4. If Lightpod only works with attached images, should I try to encourage posters to always attach images rather then embed them so the site offers a richer gallery?

5. The Media Recent add-on for XenPorta will only work with attachments? Or will it consider embedded images as well?

Again I apologize for the many questions. I am a student here...and will remain a student of XF for a long time!

Attachments

• XFtestimage.webp
    XFtestimage.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 12
Well, today I had asked my wife to post and she started complaining that the "insert image" option does not have local file feature and she is not that dumb, she is an active member on a couple of forums. Ofcourse I told her that there is that 'upload file' button that she could use and also to remember to use 'full image' option :)

I don't see why it would be confusing to them

When the "average user" wants to upload and insert an image they are going to press that cute button right there in the editor which says "Insert / Edit Image". But nope, no upload. At this point, it isn't exactly obvious that they need to click "Thumbnail" or "Full Image" on something they can't even see (and hence in a lot of cases won't know exists) till after they've clicked a different "Upload a File" button, outside the editor, and actually uploaded the file.

I realize providing an attachment upload option on the editor button wouldn't be trivial, I've worked with the TinyMCE plugins, and with both the native XF BBCode manager and KK's manager and editor toolbar addons. But it would be possible, I think. Maybe something I'll have a hack at once I've gotten my head wrapped around XF development a little better - I'm still in the learning curve, having recently migrated my vB forums.

The specific reason I want this feature is to make maintaining a XenCarta wiki easier, so it's more obvious to contributors how to insert an uploaded image. The more frictionless the mechanics of a wiki are, the more people will contribute, which makes my job as tech support easier. And all of my users on the site in question are new to XF, as we've been running vB for the last 7 years.

-- hugh

When the "average user" wants to upload and insert an image they are going to press that cute button right there in the editor which says "Insert / Edit Image". But nope, no upload. At this point, it isn't exactly obvious that they need to click "Thumbnail" or "Full Image" on something they can't even see (and hence in a lot of cases won't know exists) till after they've clicked a different "Upload a File" button, outside the editor, and actually uploaded the file.

I realize providing an attachment upload option on the editor button wouldn't be trivial, I've worked with the TinyMCE plugins, and with both the native XF BBCode manager and KK's manager and editor toolbar addons. But it would be possible, I think. Maybe something I'll have a hack at once I've gotten my head wrapped around XF development a little better - I'm still in the learning curve, having recently migrated my vB forums.

The specific reason I want this feature is to make maintaining a XenCarta wiki easier, so it's more obvious to contributors how to insert an uploaded image. The more frictionless the mechanics of a wiki are, the more people will contribute, which makes my job as tech support easier. And all of my users on the site in question are new to XF, as we've been running vB for the last 7 years.

-- hugh
Haven't test this, but couldn't you just edit the phrases file for Upload to Upload Image/File?

Top Bottom