• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

WordPress 3 Bridge

So can I add this addon without pulling all the wordpress pages in just so I can get the avatars in?
Ah, no. It's not like that. The avatars will only appear inside XenForo. Which means even after installing that addon and you access your normal WordPress, the default avatar (gravatar, etc) will still be used. Sorry

Ah, no. It's not like that. The avatars will only appear inside XenForo. Which means even after installing that addon and you access your normal WordPress, the default avatar (gravatar, etc) will still be used. Sorry
ahh ok - no problem though. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

This thread is a great example of why the world needs wiki like forums, not just regular posts.

Agreed, I am only up to post 77 and I am totally lost. :confused:

I hate to think how pickled my brain will be once I get to the end of thread. :(

Of course it doesn't help that whenever I see 'xfrocks' I am reading his name as 'x-Frocks'.
hmm.gif

Digital Doctor said:
This thread is a great example of why the world needs wiki like forums, not just regular posts.​

Agreed, I am only up to post 77 and I am totally lost. :confused:
I hate to think how pickled my brain will be once I get to the end of thread. :(

A temporary fix would be to allow "popular" plugins to have their own forum here.
It only partially solves things.
This is an example of a thread where people are trying to accomplish something.
It should be clear forums with threads and posts don't facilitate that.

Sorry to hear that. Anyway, I hope I'm a beautiful one. Haha

I've got to the end of the thread, I am totally lost, but you're clearly a clever bugger. :)

But, sorry I wouldn't describe that x-Frocks image in my head as beautiful. :( ;) :D

*off to try and get my head around the WordPress Proxy thing*

OK, got the plugin installed, I go to WP click 'log in', it takes me to the xF login page, I login and I am logged into xF, but WP doesn't want to play ball - it still displays the 'log in' link, but if I click it again nothing happens. :confused:

Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

The test installs are here:

http://doctorwatson.info/wp_test/

http://doctorwatson.info/xF_test/

And I've set-up a test user if anyone would care to take a look:

User: WPxF
P/Word: 1234

Thanks in advance. :)

OK, got the plugin installed, I go to WP click 'log in', it takes me to the xF login page, I login and I am logged into xF, but WP doesn't want to play ball - it still displays the 'log in' link, but if I click it again nothing happens. :confused:

Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

The test installs are here:

http://doctorwatson.info/wp_test/

http://doctorwatson.info/xF_test/

And I've set-up a test user if anyone would care to take a look:

User: WPxF
P/Word: 1234

Thanks in advance. :)

How did you configure the globalSalt?

How did you configure the globalSalt?

Hi xfrocks, I used the first option as I am fairly new to all this I don't understand the second option. :(

I can find the XenForo's library/config.php file, but I am not sure whereabouts in that that I am supposed to insert > $config['globalSalt'] = 'random-string-goes-here'; < I also don't understand if you insert exactly that or if you have to actually replace 'random-string-goes-here' with something else that represents a 'random-string', and if so, what the hell that is. :confused:

See I don’t normally touch stuff server end, I even had someone else install vB3 for me and do the upgrade to vB4 (grrr), although I have managed to do 2 or 3 upgrades to vB4 in the last few months, so I am learning – lol. :D

Hi xfrocks, I used the first option as I am fairly new to all this I don't understand the second option. :(

I can find the XenForo's library/config.php file, but I am not sure whereabouts in that that I am supposed to insert > $config['globalSalt'] = 'random-string-goes-here'; < I also don't understand if you insert exactly that or if you have to actually replace 'random-string-goes-here' with something else that represents a 'random-string', and if so, what the hell that is. :confused:

See I don’t normally touch stuff server end, I even had someone else install vB3 for me and do the upgrade to vB4 (grrr), although I have managed to do 2 or 3 upgrades to vB4 in the last few months, so I am learning – lol. :D
That's good when you can find the XenForo's config.php, simple find the word globalSalt in that file and copy/paste the value right next to it into the field in WordPress Dashboard. It's done :)

That's good when you can find the XenForo's config.php, simple find the word globalSalt in that file and copy/paste the value right next to it into the field in WordPress Dashboard. It's done :)

There's no globalSalt in the config.php file. :confused:

I did find it in the application.php file and that is what I copy & pasted into the WP dashboard this morning, but it doesn't work. :(

I'm having kind of the same problem as others, I've gotten this running on localhost xampp on windows with just \forum\ but having no luck online with my linux paths it seems, I just get that redirect or it disables itself and does nothing. My user names and emails are exactly the same in wp & xf and it's all the same (except the paths) as the localhosted version that works.

my paths, I run wordpress in the main domain www folder and xen from a subdomain folder there, forum.website.com

it's
/home/forum/public_html/wordpress install
/home/forum/public_html/forum/

I've tried all including

/home/forum/public_html/forum/ (yes, two forum in my path, user is forum ;)
/forum/public_html/forum/
/forum/
/public_html/forum/ < -- shown in ftp
../forum <-- recommended here someplace
/forum/www/forum/ ... etc

I've tried deleting & re-installing the plugin, but I am still having the problem re-logging in, as described in post 208 above. :(

This is using the method of putting the globalSalt from the xF application.php file into the WP dashboard, so I would like to try the second method of editing the xF config.php file and adding: $config['globalSalt'] = 'random-string-goes-here'; < but I am lost as to what I should put where it says 'random-string-goes-here'. :confused:

So, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. :)

On the plus side I got xfrocks' WordPress Proxy to work using this bridge!

Attachments

• WP_XF_SnapShot.webp
    WP_XF_SnapShot.webp
    77.7 KB · Views: 34
OK, I asked what a random-string is on this thread, and found a random hash generator.

It gave me - R9xP0ze8w0

So, I added this at the end of the xF config.php file - $config['globalSalt'] = ‘R9xP0ze8w0’

And I totally lost my WP - nothing but blank white pages. :(

So, I've put the globalSalt back into the WP dashboard and still xF users can't login to WP.

This is so frustrating, as it seems such a good idea, especially as I’ve got the WordPress Proxy working, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

OK, I asked what a random-string is on this thread, and found a random hash generator.

It gave me - R9xP0ze8w0

So, I added this at the end of the xF config.php file - $config['globalSalt'] = ‘R9xP0ze8w0’

And I totally lost my WP - nothing but blank white pages. :(

So, I've put the globalSalt back into the WP dashboard and still xF users can't login to WP.

This is so frustrating, as it seems such a good idea, especially as I’ve got the WordPress Proxy working, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Code:
$config['db']['password'] = 'something';
$config['db']['dbname'] = 'something';

$config['globalSalt'] = '0101011010101010010';

$config['superAdmins'] = '1';

if you gave the correct path in wp-admin you should be good. I'm stuck with the path/s on one server in particular, the other works fine.

Ah. Are you running on subdomain or anything like that? Did you change cookie settings in XenForo?

I run from a subdomain and that fails, and localhost with no subdomain works, am I missing something for this to work with subdomains?

Code:
$config['db']['password'] = 'something';
$config['db']['dbname'] = 'something';

$config['globalSalt'] = '0101011010101010010';

$config['superAdmins'] = '1';

if you gave the correct path in wp-admin you should be good. I'm stuck with the path/s on one server in particular, the other works fine.

Thanks for that - putting $config['globalSalt'] above $config['superAdmins'] did solve the problem of blank pages, but sadly this method produces the same result as putting the globalSalt into the WP dashboard, i.e. when you click login in WP it takes you to the xF login page, which logs you into xF but not WP.

The path in WP-admin is correct, I've tried both the absolute and relative paths, and both are 'FOUND', but still WP doesn't want to play ball.

Hi there,

I'm running into the same problem as above. As soon as I activate the plugin, I get redirected to my homepage with no way back to login to /wp-admin.

I then logged into phpmyadmin and everything checks out, changed the path couple of times and added globalsalt to config. Checked the my admin username with XFs and everything is the same as mentioned before. Nothing seems to work.

Running latest version of XF and WP.

thank you.

K guys I figured out the problem with not being able to login and thought I would post here and let you know.

When you enter your absolute path, do not include the "/" in the beginning of your path. For example, my path is,

/home/username/public_html/forums/

use this instead

home/username/public_html/forums/ (notice the missing / at the beginning)

crazy how sometimes something as little as this can eat up your time :)
hope that helps.

Thanks for that - putting $config['globalSalt'] above $config['superAdmins'] did solve the problem of blank pages, but sadly this method produces the same result as putting the globalSalt into the WP dashboard, i.e. when you click login in WP it takes you to the xF login page, which logs you into xF but not WP.

The path in WP-admin is correct, I've tried both the absolute and relative paths, and both are 'FOUND', but still WP doesn't want to play ball.
I run from a subdomain and that fails, and localhost with no subdomain works, am I missing something for this to work with subdomains?

Top Bottom