[WMTech] Sticky Multiple Account Info

[WMTech] Sticky Multiple Account Info [Paid] 1.1.5

No permission to buy ($48.00)
wmtech said:
Thank you for your review. If you have suggestions how the "missing 90% automated actions" can be achieved, please leave a note at the support forum for this add-on at our web site. This add-on already makes it possible to whitelist accounts to not match with certain other accounts. We unfortunately cannot match "persons" but only "computers". If the same hardware is used by 2 persons, it will be detected as multiple and would have to be manually whitelisted by a mod or admin. There will be at least 1 more update for the XF 1.x branch removing the Flash detection method (which unfortunately will also remove cross browser detection). We know that many privacy features of browsers are in fact a problem when detecting multiple accounts. We will try to find new detection methods for the XF 2.x branch of this add-on and are open for suggestions.
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...e-account-info-paid.72646/page-9#post-1147918
You can match persons completely.
For example:
  1. If date of birth is the same then its definitely the same person.
  2. If occupation is the same then its definitely the same person.
  3. If there is a match between email name then is the same then its definitely the same person.
  4. If there is a match on multiple IP's then then its definitely the same person.
  5. if there is a match between email domain then this raises the likelihood of being the same person.
  6. If specific user fields have the same words the same then this greatly raises likelihood of it being the same person.
  7. If an account has warnings or bans then this greatly raises likelihood of being the same person.
  8. If gender is the same then this raises likelihood of being the same person.
  9. If the account status is 'awaiting email confirmation' then this greatly increases the likelihood of this being the same person.
Compare the above and give weight to each match. Based on the total weight an action needs to be taken.

The purpose of this add-on is to check if the same computer (phone, tablet, etc) is used by more than 1 account. We always asume that those detected multiple accounts are used by the same person because this is highly likely.

In those rare cases where 2 different real persons use the same computer (e.g in the same household) we provide tools to allow the administrator of a site to manually whitelist those 2 accounts to not be detected as a multiple account any more. I don't think we will expand this add-on to try to detect those rare cases automatically, because even spying giant Google can't tell that for sure and we claim a 100% no-false detection rate.

If this add-on detects a multiple account you can be sure that all detected accounts have used the same physical computer to access your site. But there can also be a legitimate reason for that beside trying to circumvent any rules at your site. It is the site admins duty to grant an exeption for such legitimate multiple accounts.

The purpose of this add-on is to check if the same computer (phone, tablet, etc) is used by more than 1 account.
The purpose is partially useful for us. It is great that this addon highlight possible duplicates, but its still needed to check many user fields and this costs a lot of time. Day in day out. The main problem is that this addon does not highlight the information that matters. The admin will need to manually look up all that information. The report does display some information about posts, likes, warning count. If this would be expanded to also display other stats like I mentioned above then this would already be a step forward. because then in many cases profiles do not need to be opened.

For example:
  • if the report would display the date of birth, then half the reports could quickly be resolved. Because that is the main give away.
  • if the report would display the user state then 20% of the reports can be easily resolved.
  • etc.
This should be easy to add.

We always asume that those detected multiple accounts are used by the same person because this is highly likely.
IMHO this is a false assumption. There are many reasons for the same computer being used by multiple people for legitimate reasons:
  1. a couple (this happens a lot)
  2. student dorm
  3. university with multiple students using the site. (this happens a lot)
  4. members visiting each other (this happens once in a while)
  5. etc.
And then there is the issue of legitimate users who create a duplicate account because their original account is inaccessible to them.

We get tens of thousands of logins per month and 4k registrations per month. The above is based upon our experience over the last 15 years. Personally I am alergic to recurring unneccasary work and I try to automitize such when possible. I will look for a solution. If you do not intent to add functionality to this addon then this will probably mean custom work for xf1.

In any case: thank you for providing this addon. Its definitely useful. And it runs fine on my big board.

For example:
  • if the report would display the date of birth, then half the reports could quickly be resolved. Because that is the main give away.
  • if the report would display the user state then 20% of the reports can be easily resolved.
  • etc.
This should be easy to add.

It should not be too complicated to add that information to the reports. We try to get this into the next (last XF1) version.

Dear support,
I have purchased, activated and installed addon. But it seems... to be not working. I have created two accounts and logged into them, but there is no any detection. What can I do?

@wmtech this add-on (at-least of 1.1.2) is replacing XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User::_getUserModel() that fetches WMTech_StickyMultipleAccountInfo_Model_User, which causes errors with add-ons which extend the AdminCP User pages.

Your add-on is nearly always referencing WMTech_StickyMultipleAccountInfo_Model_User rather than XenForo_Model_User when calling getModelFromCache()

WMTech_StickyMultipleAccountInfo_Model_User directly extends XenForo_Model_User and bypasses the XFCP system.

I think this also applies to Rolling Message Counter, but doesn't appear to break anything by luck.

Last edited:
@wmtech this add-on (at-least of 1.1.2) is replacing XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User::_getUserModel() that fetches WMTech_StickyMultipleAccountInfo_Model_User, which causes errors with add-ons which extend the AdminCP User pages.

Your add-on is nearly always referencing WMTech_StickyMultipleAccountInfo_Model_User rather than XenForo_Model_User when calling getModelFromCache()

WMTech_StickyMultipleAccountInfo_Model_User directly extends XenForo_Model_User and bypasses the XFCP system.

I think this also applies to Rolling Message Counter, but doesn't appear to break anything by luck.

This was a known bug which is handled in the most recent version. We recommend an upgrade to 1.1.4.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom