Windows 8 will bring apps, social media, services, innovation to desktop

They've jumped the gun tbh.

The OS is now very touch-centric, which doesn't make much sense when touch screen monitors aren't exactly common in your average household. They've also changed things that are common to Windows that many people are use to, and will cause a lot of user aggravation (especially for older users who will probably be less familiar with smartphones, which is where they got this concept).

Theres a lot I like, but it seems like a major gamble.

Interesting. We'll have to see if Granny can figure it out. Regardless of what OS you like, Apple certainly keeps MS moving forward. As I'll probably never transition to Mac, I'm happy to see this. Although I really don't know what I need different from my Win7.

Interesting. We'll have to see if Granny can figure it out. Regardless of what OS you like, Apple certainly keeps MS moving forward. As I'll probably never transition to Mac, I'm happy to see this. Although I really don't know what I need different from my Win7.
A friend of mine who works at Microsoft said they have had this in mind since they tossed the Kin. Their move to Windows Phone 7 and now with the major changes in Windows 8 show its been in the works for a while.

My biggest concern is more for my stepdad, who is blind and already has issues with the changes between Windows XP and Windows 7. He relies nearly entirely on the keyboard, and this looks to focus much more on touch and mouse interactions.

Where I see this doing well is the bridging of the gap between desktop and mobile, as more and more people are on the go and having a similar experience between the two will probably work for them.

It seems to me that Microsoft has realized what technologies are entering the market and how those can change our internet behavior. Anyone who went to the CEBIT trade show knows what I am talking about.

It will not be long before cameras in monitors will enable us to swipe in the air.
It will also not be long before tablets and TVs will interconnect, making TV internet browsing popular. (tablets become the computer and the keyboard, while the TV has the screen and the camera)
3D TV provides TVs with 2 cameras, which is also optimal for air swiping.
Fiberglass (1TB/sec) and fast hardware will enable computers to process many online and heavy applications simultaneously.

Win8 seems to fit those radical changes well.

I tried it and it was terrible. It wasn't intuitive or user friendly. I'll withhold final judgement until I see the finished product. I'm sure they're taking developer feedback into consideration.

apps, for the most part, are crippled versions of software that work better on a desktop. Or they are designed for phones. Pretty sure Microsofts idea of a desktop app will be yet another clock.

apps, for the most part, are crippled versions of software that work better on a desktop. Or they are designed for phones. Pretty sure Microsofts idea of a desktop app will be yet another clock.
They're called apps, but they're basically the widgets that were available for Windows Vista and Windows 7. They're just more advanced and offer more supported programming languages and a better API.

I think win8 could be a big help to forums. The live tile that would update threads (perhaps watched threads?) would allow you to get even more visibility with your users.

I think win8 could be a big help to forums. The live tile that would update threads (perhaps watched threads?) would allow you to get even more visibility with your users.
I also think this will provide an unique opportunity to pull forum members in who would normally not come back to your site. Forget email notifications. Just a notification right on the desktop. Would be much more effective and engaging.

I'm sure "some other" forum software will bring out a paid app to do just that.
...............But it will have bugs:

64 confirmed
73 unconfirmed
29 resoled
56 scrubbed
83 pretending they don't exist
34 "working as designed"
Lawl . . . But I do agree that it might help forums. It would be nice to see what xenforo does with metro apps.

I for one look forward to windows 8

A very nice presentation on how Microsoft is taking Apple's approach a step further.
Problem is... like history has dictated thus far, by the time Microsoft get it right, Apple and Google will have again surpassed this modality to something far catchier and innovative again.

Apple set the benchmark with app based mobile phones, Google copied, Microsoft are still behind the times. That same app approach has been incorporated into Mac as standard, and Google's proposed OS will be something similar. Microsoft once again, trying to be different, tiles, not apps... lots of scrolling information, confusing for older persons... they just effectively drove a large portion of their market, IMHO, to Apple and Google OS (when it hits the scene)... who have a pretty picture as an app icon, you get to know that picture, you click it, then you access the program.

Nothing worse than having a screen constantly changing on you with information when you haven't even gotten past the home screen.

Then Microsofts audacity, believing every home is going to change their home computing to touch screens.

Problem is... like history has dictated thus far, by the time Microsoft get it right, Apple and Google will have again surpassed this modality to something far catchier and innovative again.

Apple set the benchmark with app based mobile phones, Google copied, Microsoft are still behind the times. That same app approach has been incorporated into Mac as standard, and Google's proposed OS will be something similar. Microsoft once again, trying to be different, tiles, not apps... lots of scrolling information, confusing for older persons... they just effectively drove a large portion of their market, IMHO, to Apple and Google OS (when it hits the scene)... who have a pretty picture as an app icon, you get to know that picture, you click it, then you access the program.

Nothing worse than having a screen constantly changing on you with information when you haven't even gotten past the home screen.

Then Microsofts audacity, believing every home is going to change their home computing to touch screens.

I'm thinking the same. How silly is it to make everything touch on a desktop. If people stopped to think about it and exposing yourself for hours to touch screen posturing and bending your body it just simply doesn't work. Bad back? too bad, do you know how uncomfortable it will be hours on end touching, dragging your arms and bending your back with touchsreen on a desktop. Big fail imo.

I'm not sure about apple setting the benchmark, nor google copying. You could say (btw are we allowed to slate apple?) whom did Apple copy? if i'm honest I think apple are guilty of copying themselves using existing technology, all they did was fabricate that existing technology to form the v1 versions of the ipad,iphone etc. Since the v1 they haven't really innovated, imo. ever.

That touchscreen in win 8 on the dektop could be a major problem though. Sure, it works nicely with tablets, mobile devices. Desktops? I think not.

Top Bottom