Windows 8 will bring apps, social media, services, innovation to desktop

Problem is... like history has dictated thus far, by the time Microsoft get it right, Apple and Google will have again surpassed this modality to something far catchier and innovative again.

Apple set the benchmark with app based mobile phones, Google copied, Microsoft are still behind the times. That same app approach has been incorporated into Mac as standard, and Google's proposed OS will be something similar. Microsoft once again, trying to be different, tiles, not apps... lots of scrolling information, confusing for older persons... they just effectively drove a large portion of their market, IMHO, to Apple and Google OS (when it hits the scene)... who have a pretty picture as an app icon, you get to know that picture, you click it, then you access the program.

Nothing worse than having a screen constantly changing on you with information when you haven't even gotten past the home screen.

Then Microsofts audacity, believing every home is going to change their home computing to touch screens.

Apple didn't set the benchmark for app based phones, they were existing long before Apple even entered the phone market. Nokia and phones that are popular in asia have had apps for a long ass time.

The metro UI isn't all that confusing, the issue is that its not that usable without touch screens (Needs more keyboard functionality, but older people still have issues with keyboards as well). The way Metro is set up is so that people can do a fully custom dashboard for available information... Compared to OSX Lions App launcher, the Metro UI is amazingly more intuitive.

The desktop is still there in Windows 8, however it isn't the first thing you see. Metro is the primary information center, so you can still access things from it.

How is the screen constantly changing? Its a static screen unless you choose to move it. The information might change, but the apps that are available are the same unless you re-organize it. That goes for any app group (Which are customizable).

Touch screens are getting more common, the issue is that they're not common enough at this point to make Windows 8 a huge success. Chances are though with the launch of Windows 8, Microsoft will partner with a lot of screen makers and OEM to include touch screen monitors, making this a more viable method.

Touch is really only required for Metro UI (You can use a mouse, but it just isn't as intuitive, though it does get a bit easier to use as you use it). The desktop is unchanged really (Though the start button is gone and takes you back to the Metro UI), and most things really are just the same as they would be with Windows 7.

As for all your Apple comments... At least Microsoft is doing something different. Most Apple 'innovations' come off the back of previous implementations (Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, HTC and many other companies were doing all this touch and app based phones long before Apple)

I don't have any problem with the idea that Apple is able to recognize which features are worthwhile and which are not. And then bundling it all together and selling it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's called "putting it all together", plus great marketing.

A touch screen desktop? I'm not sure I like that idea. Touch screens are useful when there isn't enough space for proper input devices, like on smart phones. But adding it to a desktop just seems silly. I don't see what advantage a touch screen offers over standard keyboard / mouse input when given the choice. And I imagine your shoulder would get tired having to reach for the screen, unless the screen was flat against the table or something.

I think that Microsoft is hiding something. Touch screens for desktops indeed does not make a lot of sense. My monitors are positioned well outside my reach. Im sure I am not the only one who likes their monitor not in his face.

The new technology developments that where presented at CEBIT this year show that something new is coming:
I think they will bring Kinect like motion-sensing control to windows 8. Its basically the same as touch, but you control the system by hand motions, while the cam sees it. Here is ASUS its version:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Say goodbye to your mouse.

Apple didn't set the benchmark for app based phones, they were existing long before Apple even entered the phone market. Nokia and phones that are popular in asia have had apps for a long ass time.

The metro UI isn't all that confusing, the issue is that its not that usable without touch screens (Needs more keyboard functionality, but older people still have issues with keyboards as well). The way Metro is set up is so that people can do a fully custom dashboard for available information... Compared to OSX Lions App launcher, the Metro UI is amazingly more intuitive.

The desktop is still there in Windows 8, however it isn't the first thing you see. Metro is the primary information center, so you can still access things from it.

How is the screen constantly changing? Its a static screen unless you choose to move it. The information might change, but the apps that are available are the same unless you re-organize it. That goes for any app group (Which are customizable).

Touch screens are getting more common, the issue is that they're not common enough at this point to make Windows 8 a huge success. Chances are though with the launch of Windows 8, Microsoft will partner with a lot of screen makers and OEM to include touch screen monitors, making this a more viable method.

Touch is really only required for Metro UI (You can use a mouse, but it just isn't as intuitive, though it does get a bit easier to use as you use it). The desktop is unchanged really (Though the start button is gone and takes you back to the Metro UI), and most things really are just the same as they would be with Windows 7.

As for all your Apple comments... At least Microsoft is doing something different. Most Apple 'innovations' come off the back of previous implementations (Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, HTC and many other companies were doing all this touch and app based phones long before Apple)
Drink deeply from the Redmond flavored Koolaid.

Metro UI more intuitive? Boggles the mind.

Apple makes their phones work like their computer. Windows is making the computer work like a phone. Crazy.

Drink deeply from the Redmond flavored Koolaid.

Metro UI more intuitive? Boggles the mind.

Apple makes their phones work like their computer. Windows is making the computer work like a phone. Crazy.
Metro UI more intuitive than the clusterfail of apps included with OSX Lion? Yeah, it is in comparison.

Looking past Metro, which is touch centric, the rest of the OS is pretty similar to Windows 7 and isn't focused on touch so much. Metro is about the only thing that is awkward with a mouse, but it is still usable (Unsure if there are keyboard shortcuts as I only played with the OS for a short period of time).

Metro UI more intuitive than the clusterfail of apps included with OSX Lion? Yeah, it is in comparison.

Looking past Metro, which is touch centric, the rest of the OS is pretty similar to Windows 7 and isn't focused on touch so much. Metro is about the only thing that is awkward with a mouse, but it is still usable (Unsure if there are keyboard shortcuts as I only played with the OS for a short period of time).
So, awkward with a mouse, but better than OSx?

Pardon me, sir. Your bias is showing.

Mr Pot.. have you previously made the acquaintance of Mr Kettle? Tee heee hee :giggle:

I see masses of touch screen desktop computers in the stores now, but like others I would not want to use one for desktop, whilst I think the smaller portable devices are awesome, it just doesn't translate to sitting at a desk and working.

So, awkward with a mouse, but better than OSx?

Is it logical to include installers, having no form of organization, and no way to intuitively remove applications?

It is awkward with a mouse because it is an action most people aren't use to doing (Most people do not swipe and drag across the screen to change between screens). Its not to say it won't be more intuitive with use (I've gotten use to it with touch and without touch), it just isn't intuitive at the start because its an unfamiliar action.

And it is quite hypocritical for you to call anyone biased, just sayin'. I can admit flaws and strengths between all the platforms, and have stated there are flaws with Windows 8 (And Android), but it also has strengths and to deny such is just completely blind bias. Unless you have put in the actual effort of using Windows 8, you really can't say much for it.

Problem is... like history has dictated thus far, by the time Microsoft get it right, Apple and Google will have again surpassed this modality to something far catchier and innovative again.

Apple set the benchmark with app based mobile phones, Google copied, Microsoft are still behind the times. That same app approach has been incorporated into Mac as standard, and Google's proposed OS will be something similar. Microsoft once again, trying to be different, tiles, not apps... lots of scrolling information, confusing for older persons... they just effectively drove a large portion of their market, IMHO, to Apple and Google OS (when it hits the scene)... who have a pretty picture as an app icon, you get to know that picture, you click it, then you access the program.

Nothing worse than having a screen constantly changing on you with information when you haven't even gotten past the home screen.

Then Microsofts audacity, believing every home is going to change their home computing to touch screens.

Have you ever used Windows Phone 7 or developed for it? I'm genuinely curious. When it hit the market, it certainly seemed "fresh" compared to iOS and Android. Behind the times is not how I'd describe it. But the Windows brand is certainly tarnished (not completely undeserved either), which hasn't helped them.

Anyway, I think Metro UI will be a hit. For the most part, it already has been to those it's been previewed to on actual devices suited for it.

You have a strange definition of "intuitive". LOL!
So you're saying touch based gestures didn't require any foreknowledge of them when it first came to phone? Or that new gestures are instantly known by people, and aren't awkward to them?

The awkwardness is due to it being an uncommon action till now, but its not to say that it won't change as PC's continue to evolve, and as touch becomes more common. The awkwardness with mouse is that most people don't drag the mouse pointer across the screen, and doesn't mean that it won't become a habit at some point.

Intuitive design isn't always knowing how the design work, but learning how the design works through interaction. Metro UI does a good job of teaching through interaction, however there will be a learning curve.

So you're saying touch based gestures didn't require any foreknowledge of them when it first came to phone? Or that new gestures are instantly known by people, and aren't awkward to them?

That is actually a good point, I had no idea how to use those odd expand/contract gestures when I first had a look at the iPad etc.. it is not instantly obvious, but once you do learn it, it is OK to use, even if one would never ever make that gesture naturally for anything.

And it is quite hypocritical for you to call anyone biased, just sayin'. I can admit flaws and strengths between all the platforms, and have stated there are flaws with Windows 8 (And Android), but it also has strengths and to deny such is just completely blind bias. Unless you have put in the actual effort of using Windows 8, you really can't say much for it.

I don't see anything in that user interface that I would call an improvement over Windows 7. You might get the desktop geek to use it at home, but it won't gain traction in the business world. Do you realize how many companies are still sitting on XP because of the changes to Windows 7?

If Microsoft tries to push that interface into server editions, they might was well kill off Hyper-V and hand the low end server market to Red Hat and Suse.

I don't see anything in that user interface that I would call an improvement over Windows 7. You might get the desktop geek to use it at home, but it won't gain traction in the business world. Do you realize how many companies are still sitting on XP because of the changes to Windows 7?

If Microsoft tries to push that interface into server editions, they might was well kill off Hyper-V and hand the low end server market to Red Hat and Suse.
Most companies sit on XP due to legacy apps, otherwise many would have updated to Windows 7. Corporations also aren't exactly quick to spend their money when it isn't absolutely necessary. Also their target with Windows 8 seems to be the home market more than anything else.

I will agree about server editions as Metro would be completely unnecessary fluff.

The first iPhone was an absolute revolution. Just because you could download Bejeweled 2 on a Nokia didn't make it useful. Apple 100% set the benchmark for smartphones.
As for all your Apple comments... At least Microsoft is doing something different.
Microsoft is desperate and has no choice but to do something different.
Microsoft's lack of innovation for a decade cost them the mobile market.
Microsoft is the pioneer of don't change anything.
When IOS + iphone came out Microsoft was using Windows Mobile 6.5.
Ouch.

Most Apple 'innovations' come off the back of previous implementations (Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, HTC and many other companies were doing all this touch and app based phones long before Apple)
As do all innovations.
The brilliance of the iphone was the use of a capactive touch screen with an operating system to support it. No other phone had that. It really was an instant success. They took what others had been doing poorly and showed every other company what people wanted.

Metro isn't great for a mouse but there are apps to disable it (I'm using one on my Win 8 test machine and it works great). Truthfully, I don't think that much of Win 8 is supposed to be a huge revolution over 7 but rather a release of small but necessary improvements.

As do all innovations.
The brilliance of the iphone was the use of a capactive touch screen with an operating system to support it. No other phone had that. It really was an instant success. They took what others had been doing poorly and showed every other company what people wanted.
And yet Apple's trying to stop other companies from doing exactly that with all their patents, but that's off subject.

The first iPhone was an absolute revolution. Just because you could download Bejeweled 2 on a Nokia didn't make it useful. Apple 100% set the benchmark for smartphones.

Microsoft is desperate and has no choice but to do something different.
Microsoft's lack of innovation for a decade cost them the mobile market.
Microsoft is the pioneer of don't change anything.
When IOS + iphone came out Microsoft was using Windows Mobile 6.5.
Ouch.

As do all innovations.

I don't think that can ever be disputed, however, mainting innovation is open to conjecture and debate in my mind android smartphones surpass the current generations of iphones. Like i said, imo, they may have set that benchmark, i'm quite sure they aren't maintaining it. Unless your one of those that "love" your iphone and can't see past apple products.

You can rely on past success or you can continue innovating. Have apple done that? in my mind i don't think they have. Unless your the type to be easily pleased and what i mean by that being satisified having an apple emblem on the back of your product.

I mean, what's honestly wrong with the nokia 2210? doesn't this satisfy the "people's" needs anymore? Wasn't that classed as innovation when first released?

Edit: Back on topic - windows 8 in my mind will be a failure. as said previously, touchscreen on a desktop? I don't think so. there's no innovation there at all in my mind. Gimmicky? absolutely

Apple has certainly stopped taking risks.
No real innovation going on.
But why would they take risks ?
They are on a gravy train that keeps going and going.

Android phones could be light years ahead in 18 months.
Maybe then Apple will take some risks.
But by the time Joe Consumer wants an Android vs. iPhone .... Apple will be crazy rich in profits.
Kudos to Apple.

I think they will bring Kinect like motion-sensing control to windows 8. Its basically the same as touch, but you control the system by hand motions, while the cam sees it.
Agreed.

Kinect-Like interfacing with PCs could be a huge win.

Kinect-Like devices are going to everywhere. They could certainly make cars safer by detecting sleepy drivers. Not sure if someone has invented something like that ... but I think it would be easy.

Top Bottom