Windows 8 will bring apps, social media, services, innovation to desktop

Okay, this entire thread has me completely confused. I feel like I didn't even watch the same video.

It seems like no one noticed that the touch thing was just there for touch devices. They even said you're free to still use the mouse if you want. They were running the OS on tablets and desktops that weren't even designed for it. You really can't comment on how hard the touch functionality will be to use before we even see what kind of devices are going to be developed specifically for it. (And that's not even acknowledging the tablet use in the video.) And if no developer is thinking the first thing I thought, "hey, how about a desktop screen that lays flat, like a Wacom Cintiq", similar to the developer's computer they gave everybody at that Keynote, then there's something seriously wrong with the them to begin with.
I agree with the whole touchscreen for those that have it and that it is awesome if you have one/ are using one at the moment...though the Cintiq I was looking at and had tried out (and is WELL worth it) was about 2 grand and at the time I wasn't doing enough to warrant it so I built my own ir pen (no pressure levels like a wacom which sucks) that get's tracked by a calibrated wiimote which get's picked up by a dongle with modded firmware. The thing is though...most people at their pc use a mouse and keyboard and an occasional joypad/flightstick/whell ect and relying on a touch interface to make usability easy is not cool with me. Literally the start menu is hard to use...from playing around with the 8dev release I felt like they are trying to hide everything I need and force me to see a bunch of useless things.

And I think the idea that old people will have hard time with that new layout, well, let's just say I think maybe you're being a little old fashioned. That layout is about the most simplified one they've ever done, which was a criticism in another thread about this same subject. Big blocks that you hit. I also think that older people are smarter than we give them credit for. It's just some of them are stubborn, and those are the one's we always end up having give help to. We can't develop technology for stubborn people. That also means that just because you hate, or at the very least don't use, social networking, doesn't mean you can ignore that the lions share of the internet using population who uses it daily. It would be downright ignorant and backward thinking on a developer's part to not include that functionality in a system that's supposed make everything streamlined. I mean, you will probably still use the social elements to send an email. So, really, you would use it, even if you never ventured near a Facecbook or a FriendFeed.

Did anyone even notice the really big deal with regard to those metro apps? Even I would be able to make metro apps. That means most of you will, too. That's a big deal for all of us, when we think about it. Sorry, but I think you guys are jumping on a non-neutral bandwagon. Neutral appraisal might be difficult, but at the very least, you have to acknowledge that some of the criticisms in this thread are at best inflated, and at worst, straw men.

I have no problem with the metro apps thing...I just do not want social services connecting to my pc when I turn it on because I do not use them.

I don't want my start menu to feel like an app...It is a directory with useful tools and links to applications which I do not keep as a shortcut on the taskbar...I have no need to change that and become less productive...nor do I want to feel like I am using a tablet
fsdgdfgfdhg.webp

the menu in the demo kills it for me....I don't like this at all it is a waste for me and my whole argument for it is this interface HAS to be an option or I simply can not upgrade. If I want to open an app often I will put it in my shortcut folder which is pinned to the bottom right of the image above...or pin it to the empty space in the start menu

In the image below...I can't even figure out how to take a shortcut I created on the desktop and pin it to the start menu again which is a whole page which slides into place. I don't need to waste my resources on that for my start menu which happens to only slows me down.
122.webp

I don't see the point in having my start menu do all sort's of awesome looking stuff...it's a menu.
121.webp

(And to preempt any suppositions on where I stand with Microsoft and Apple as a company, my stance is "I don't care". I don't give a flip about companies. I like new stuff that works. I buy what I can afford.)

I agree and regardless to what I can or can't afford I do not like to waste...and I am a windows person (not because of windows but because 50% of the software titles I use are only available on windows) saying I really can not use this...I really can't.

I need an easy option to disable all of that wreck above and to not install the social network things and dependencies as I do not want them as part of my machine at all... or the previously mentioned will be a deal breaker.

If they don't switch up how it feels right now...I will be finishing up that line for you.
Actually, what I think is that 8 could become the next Vista.

Why? Because of multiple reasons:

Windows 7 is just too good to die. Right now, I see absolutely no reason why I should bother with installing a new OS on my desktop working machine. Windows 7 just works - it's perfectly stable and does everything I need.

The Metro UI is basically just a toy. Not even remotely useful when you have to do serious work like software development, CG or similar things in which case it just wastes space doing nothing but looking "cool". The average Joe User might look at it from a different perspective, but professionals generally don't care so much about how the desktop looks as long as it works and lets you get your work done efficiently.

In a business environment, there are even less reasons to upgrade existing workstations and deal with the resulting support nightmare, especially when the new system looks and feels radically different.

I'm sure i said this already (can't remember) so I'll say again. I used and remain using windows xp for years and wouldn't consider upgrading to vista. I found it to be slow, bloated and just blank out refused to upgrade. It took, what's the word? iStick? nope.... that's not it. Courage to make the move to windows 7 and I see no reason to move to a "gimmicky" Desktop OS platform that's trying to be "hip" and won't benefit the average user (me) in any shape or form.

If I wanted all this touch screen crap on a desktop and want to feel like I'm in an episode of NCIS Los Angeles I'll definitely make the move so I can brag to my friends and show them me throwing pages around like a nutjob.

I agree, and my own personal opinion is also that, that I feel windows 8 will be the next vista. I won't be upgrading, that's for sure.

Windows/MS rant

So I was uploading a 100meg file to the printer and when I came back it had gone into "sleep" and cut the internet connection. Yes, I know that I can re-set that somewhere, but why should I have to? Also, many websites seem to have no problem detecting what version of Windows I'm running and whether 32 or 64. But when I go to a MS website it ASKS me to enter the information! I know what I have, but many people don't and shouldn't have to know. Also, downloading from MS is always so slow. I can download Firefox in 30 second, yet the same size file from MS might take half an hour!

Windows/MS rant

So I was uploading a 100meg file to the printer and when I came back it had gone into "sleep" and cut the internet connection. Yes, I know that I can re-set that somewhere, but why should I have to?
It is a power thing and it is an option that comes from the fact that people use the same os on a laptop as well as a desktop. On a laptop this increases battery life.
power.webp

Also, many websites seem to have no problem detecting what version of Windows I'm running and whether 32 or 64. But when I go to a MS website it ASKS me to enter the information! I know what I have, but many people don't and shouldn't have to know. Also, downloading from MS is always so slow. I can download Firefox in 30 second, yet the same size file from MS might take half an hour!
Firefox has hundreds of groups/servers that deliver it's free and open source program where as microsoft is a private company with proprietary files that they deliver themselves and pay for..it is as simple as that.

Not knowing if you have a 64 bit or 32 bit OS is a bad thing...how do you select the proper apps or drivers to download and install if you don't know what you have. That is the same as saying 'I don't need to know that my benz uses diesel ....gas is gas...I should pull up and the pump should know'. I am not saying you have to go and learn the differences between 64 bit and 32 bit oper systems or the difference between unleaded gas and diesel but you should know what you have. If you bought a prebuilt computer that is listed in the specs. If you build your own computer it is a question you don't even have to ask.

<snip>
Not knowing if you have a 64 bit or 32 bit OS is a bad thing...

I am pretty sure Grant knows which he has, he was saying Microsoft should be able to detect what he has when he enters their site, not have to manually input the info.

Only problem with that is, you might be there to download apps for another computer which is different.

I am pretty sure Grant knows which he has, he was saying Microsoft should be able to detect what he has when he enters their site, not have to manually input the info.

Only problem with that is, you might be there to download apps for another computer which is different.
This is why you have to select manually.

Many people will use a separate comp to troubleshoot and download drivers when setting up one.

I wasn't directing it at Grant at all...really was making a generalization. Literally speaking, the last paragraph I typed above could have all instaces of 'you' replaced with 'a person'

Okay, this entire thread has me completely confused. I feel like I didn't even watch the same video.

It seems like no one noticed that the touch thing was just there for touch devices. They even said you're free to still use the mouse if you want. They were running the OS on tablets and desktops that weren't even designed for it. You really can't comment on how hard the touch functionality will be to use before we even see what kind of devices are going to be developed specifically for it. (And that's not even acknowledging the tablet use in the video.) And if no developer is thinking the first thing I thought, "hey, how about a desktop screen that lays flat, like a Wacom Cintiq", similar to the developer's computer they gave everybody at that Keynote, then there's something seriously wrong with the them to begin with.

And I think the idea that old people will have hard time with that new layout, well, let's just say I think maybe you're being a little old fashioned. That layout is about the most simplified one they've ever done, which was a criticism in another thread about this same subject. Big blocks that you hit. I also think that older people are smarter than we give them credit for. It's just some of them are stubborn, and those are the one's we always end up having give help to. We can't develop technology for stubborn people. That also means that just because you hate, or at the very least don't use, social networking, doesn't mean you can ignore that the lions share of the internet using population who uses it daily. It would be downright ignorant and backward thinking on a developer's part to not include that functionality in a system that's supposed make everything streamlined. I mean, you will probably still use the social elements to send an email. So, really, you would use it, even if you never ventured near a Facecbook or a FriendFeed.

Did anyone even notice the really big deal with regard to those metro apps? Even I would be able to make metro apps. That means most of you will, too. That's a big deal for all of us, when we think about it. Sorry, but I think you guys are jumping on a non-neutral bandwagon. Neutral appraisal might be difficult, but at the very least, you have to acknowledge that some of the criticisms in this thread are at best inflated, and at worst, straw men.

(And to preempt any suppositions on where I stand with Microsoft and Apple as a company, my stance is "I don't care". I don't give a flip about companies. I like new stuff that works. I buy what I can afford.)

How dare you use logic. :p

Keep in mind the Cintiq is that expensive because of the pressure sensitivity and the optimization for doing everything an artist would ever want to do on his screen. I merely site it as an example of a screen that can detach from its easel and set on your lap. Clearly, pads don't cost that much, and I would doubt anything developed for Windows 8, unless really high end, would cost that much.

Though it seems to me the biggest complaints are about the start menu. Which, from everything I'm seeing, is as customizable as your desktop, and which you apparently don't have to use. Also, the social media services can't connect you to them if you don't have an account with the respective services, or barring that, haven't given them permission to access your account(s).

Keep in mind the Cintiq is that expensive because of the pressure sensitivity and the optimization for doing everything an artist would ever want to do on his screen. I merely site it as an example of a screen that can detach from its easel and set on your lap. Clearly, pads don't cost that much, and I would doubt anything developed for Windows 8, unless really high end, would cost that much.

Though it seems to me the biggest complaints are about the start menu. Which, from everything I'm seeing, is as customizable as your desktop, and which you apparently don't have to use. Also, the social media services can't connect you to them if you don't have an account with the respective services, or barring that, haven't given them permission to access your account(s).
Like I said a Cintiq is awesome for sure...just not a lot of people have touch interfaces for their pc at this time. In the near future (1-3 years) I would guess this is going to be more widely used outside of the animation, image finishing , and 3d work. I have tried cheap drawing tablets myself and they are luck of the draw. Some work but most of the cheapies are not awesome at this point for anything serious. You really need a screen to draw on...and yeah having Cintiq's amount of pressure levels is totally a big plus but not needed by most people outside of image editing and animation.

It is not that it is not customizable. I just don't want that menu at all...no amount of customizing is going to make that useful for me...The things I can change about it's functionality are limited. I don't want the whole page like that...I am serious when I say doing the same tasks side by side on win7 and 8 default installs on a virtual machine , I just can not see myself becoming effective using this as my everyday workhorse. This is more of a OS for people who do the basic things that I would say most people do now-a-days. Social updates, games, email, web browsing, and shopping. From using it for a lil bit now, it is not bad...as long as you have a good amount of ram the system runs with no flaws that I have seen

(Though I allocated 4gb for it. I also to see how unstable it would be if a ram stick failed I lowered the ram allocation substantially and the system kept running...I tried running one of those touch screen games from the start menu and the game ran very sluggish but the system while still with a configuration lower than the requirements ran without crashing.fgdhkgkjfnbfnjnd.webp )

I am not saying the os is bad because it is not...it just really sucks for me, that I know from using it already for a while. Unless they integrate an option or I get great at shell replacement there is going to be problems for me if I try to use it with that interface.
ffdsgmdfh..webp

I only mention Cintiq because of the detachable monitor. All art ability aside, I'm more suggesting that future computers will be, essentially, tablets with wireless keyboards and a stand. Like the demo machine they handed out at the keynote, which, I might add, would be verily awesome.

I only mention Cintiq because of the detachable monitor. All art ability aside, I'm more suggesting that future computers will be, essentially, tablets with wireless keyboards and a stand. Like the demo machine they handed out at the keynote, which, I might add, would be verily awesome.
I liked your post because I agree with you... not because I like that they are trying to replace my desktop with a tablet.:-) I wouldn't mind having a very powerful tablet don't get me wrong...I just can't foresee it being a viable option for me as a replacement with the way I process a workload. Now for entertainment, socializing (using this forum let's say or simple online games) and mobile accessibility, a tablet layout is quite nice as long as it can keep up with a moderately spec'd desktop.

/\

that all being said....

I would love to get my hands on this...
http://www.samsunglfd.com/product/feature.do?modelCd=SUR40
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if the price were to come down a few K I would grab one sooner than later to start figuring out what I can do with this...I see pure awesomeness with this in the future.

Well, at some point in the very near future, I think that's where were going simply because I think the need for the giant noisy tower beside our desk is getting less and less relevant or necessary. Keyboards and mouses are already wireless. So are printers, device syncing and assorted peripherals. Storage space and USB sticks pretty much make DVD drives irrelevant for anything other than watching movies (PC gamers accepted). And even that's moving into people's console platforms and (if when studios finally pull the last vestiges of their thinking out of the dark ages) streaming. Keep in mind, what we're looking at here is your monitor being a wireless device that you can take with you if needed. You'd still have a standard, but wireless keyboard. If anything, the lack of cords and mobility alone will improve your workflow exponentially.

/\

that all being said....

I would love to get my hands on this...
http://www.samsunglfd.com/product/feature.do?modelCd=SUR40
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if the price were to come down a few K I would grab one sooner than later to start figuring out what I can do with this...I see pure awesomeness with this in the future.
I remember seeing this some years ago. For weeks afterwards I kept sketching potential ideas and uses commercially, that I hope someone with actual capital thinks of and bothers to move ahead with.

Well, at some point in the very near future, I think that's where were going simply because I think the need for the giant noisy tower beside our desk is getting less and less relevant or necessary. Keyboards and mouses are already wireless. So are printers, device syncing and assorted peripherals. Storage space and USB sticks pretty much make DVD drives irrelevant for anything other than watching movies (PC gamers accepted). And even that's moving into people's console platforms and (if when studios finally pull the last vestiges of their thinking out of the dark ages) streaming. Keep in mind, what we're looking at here is your monitor being a wireless device that you can take with you if needed. You'd still have a standard, but wireless keyboard. If anything, the lack of cords and mobility alone will improve your workflow exponentially.

The only problem is some people like myself like to build their own computer with what components I choose. Like I said before a tablet would be great on the road for me but it will never replace my desktop...

for instance how would I install this pci card? http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
It is also not the only hardware I cannot add to a tablet that I will not stop using because of the sake of having a touch tablet.

Closed prefabricated units mean no/limited hardware customization.

Top Bottom