Windows 8 will bring apps, social media, services, innovation to desktop

I think we can agree that what all companies have in common that once flourished in the sense they were top companies and as time passes they all lost that innovation which once made them great. As will all companies that stop innovating they will soon go on the decline if they aren't hungry enough to innovate and provide and another company will take their place. Apple are not immune to this, they carry on slacking and pumping out iphone 4s and you can bet your bottom dollar that an apple emblem will not be enough to retain your customers.

I very much doubt Apple can just innovate at will. The public will judge whether that product or that gadget meets up to their expectations not apple. That is why they should take risks if they want to retain the top spot otherwise history will imo repeat itself. Unless an apple badge is really the only thing that drives you to purchase they're products which would be rather sad.

I think we can agree that what all companies have in common that once flourished in the sense they were top companies and as time passes they all lost that innovation which once made them great. As will all companies that stop innovating they will soon go on the decline if they aren't hungry enough to innovate and provide and another company will take their place. Apple are not immune to this, they carry on slacking and pumping out iphone 4s and you can bet your bottom dollar that an apple emblem will not be enough to retain your customers.

I very much doubt Apple can just innovate at will. The public will judge whether that product or that gadget meets up to their expectations not apple. That is why they should take risks if they want to retain the top spot otherwise history will imo repeat itself. Unless an apple badge is really the only thing that drives you to purchase they're products which would be rather sad.
I'm starting to think many people would buy a stick as long as it has an Apple logo on it.

"iStick, it does stuff".

And if Apple created a magic wand, the Windows/Android bigots would say, "its just a stick."
No, I'd remark on the capabilities of said stick, and give it credit where its due.

Then I'd comment that its just a stick and as useful as any other and that the branding means absolutely nothing.

I'm sure since the i comes before the stick everything "stick" belongs to apple and exclusively owned by apple? I could be wrong with that assumption. Law suits would be pending, and pdfs published in they're abundance via idoc.

I remember when the "i" meant "internet". Now it is a meaningless and obligatory prefix on all of their product names.
I always wondered where the 'i' came from...still haven't figured it out..

I just read through this thread and now I feel like I just bought the iConfused permedition. :)

As far as the thread topic...windows is an operating system...I absolutely think including social services is just a waste of my system resources...It should not install by default with windows. I like my windows computer but if this metro crap is forced on install I will go back to calling m$ MicroShaft as that is what describes how I feel about being forced to have this installed and then I will continue trying to find a solid OS that is completely binary compatible with windows with all services rebuilt.

Like I have said before on this forum, windows should stick to worrying about patching up local machine functionality and less about opening up more connections to the internet before you computer even finishes booting. If I want to use twitter or facebook I will open a web browser and log in ... like a non-lazy person should. Seriously there is no need for the crap. All I need from Microsoft is a stable operating system to run software that is dependent on it. All that metro crap should be optional and not default...period.

Well hopefully there will be an options to turn on and off all the touch screen thing. And all the graphical junks. I want to give my CPU power and memory to my apps, not windows.

I think that Microsoft is hiding something. Touch screens for desktops indeed does not make a lot of sense. My monitors are positioned well outside my reach. Im sure I am not the only one who likes their monitor not in his face.

The new technology developments that where presented at CEBIT this year show that something new is coming:
I think they will bring Kinect like motion-sensing control to windows 8. Its basically the same as touch, but you control the system by hand motions, while the cam sees it. Here is ASUS its version:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Say goodbye to your mouse.

Move the mouse around and click VS raising my arms doing gestures. . . I'll have my mouse thank you. I imagine the latter would be extremely mundane after a while. And looks stupid

Well hopefully there will be an options to turn on and off all the touch screen thing. And all the graphical junks. I want to give my CPU power and memory to my apps, not windows.

Move the mouse around and click VS raising my arms doing gestures. . . I'll have my mouse thank you. I imagine the latter would be extremely mundane after a while. And looks stupid
Maybe it will be promoted as a "full-body workout" for the sedentary desk jockey.

Okay, this entire thread has me completely confused. I feel like I didn't even watch the same video.

It seems like no one noticed that the touch thing was just there for touch devices. They even said you're free to still use the mouse if you want. They were running the OS on tablets and desktops that weren't even designed for it. You really can't comment on how hard the touch functionality will be to use before we even see what kind of devices are going to be developed specifically for it. (And that's not even acknowledging the tablet use in the video.) And if no developer is thinking the first thing I thought, "hey, how about a desktop screen that lays flat, like a Wacom Cintiq", similar to the developer's computer they gave everybody at that Keynote, then there's something seriously wrong with the them to begin with.

And I think the idea that old people will have hard time with that new layout, well, let's just say I think maybe you're being a little old fashioned. That layout is about the most simplified one they've ever done, which was a criticism in another thread about this same subject. Big blocks that you hit. I also think that older people are smarter than we give them credit for. It's just some of them are stubborn, and those are the one's we always end up having give help to. We can't develop technology for stubborn people. That also means that just because you hate, or at the very least don't use, social networking, doesn't mean you can ignore that the lions share of the internet using population who uses it daily. It would be downright ignorant and backward thinking on a developer's part to not include that functionality in a system that's supposed make everything streamlined. I mean, you will probably still use the social elements to send an email. So, really, you would use it, even if you never ventured near a Facecbook or a FriendFeed.

Did anyone even notice the really big deal with regard to those metro apps? Even I would be able to make metro apps. That means most of you will, too. That's a big deal for all of us, when we think about it. Sorry, but I think you guys are jumping on a non-neutral bandwagon. Neutral appraisal might be difficult, but at the very least, you have to acknowledge that some of the criticisms in this thread are at best inflated, and at worst, straw men.

(And to preempt any suppositions on where I stand with Microsoft and Apple as a company, my stance is "I don't care". I don't give a flip about companies. I like new stuff that works. I buy what I can afford.)

Top Bottom