Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Which Windows OS Do You Prefer?

• Total voters
Back-up has been replaced by File History (very slick)
SkyDrive integration (god send)
MS account integration (slick)
Shutdown/boot optimisations (slick)
Updated start screen with app integration (simpler/slick)
Pricing is more than reasonable

Lots of under the hood stuff.

Anyone that says that Windows 8 doesn't work well on a desktop is deluded, it's a great OS. Key board and mouse also work very well, there is no compromise so don't believe the reviews that complain about touch integration.

How'd you hear about that video ? It's great.

Microsoft itself said Windows 8 was a make or break OS.
That's not good for MSFT.
I see why M$ canned the Windows Guy.

View attachment 38325

Microsoft continues to flounder.
Releasing a Tablet OS for non-tablets is a weird plan.
Wow. I told my mom she'll just have to deal with Windows 8 after I installed it on her computer and installed the Classic Shell program to remove the start screen. I was even thinking about doing that on my Mac but after watching this vid I changed my mind. Thanks for this. I'm just gonna throw Windows 7 on both.

For a desktop PC, what does Windows 8 offer that Windows 7 does not?

Smoother media/games, faster usable desktop (but only barely faster overall boot), significantly improved USB stack (everything inits much faster, glitchy devices like the Steelseries Xai are fixed), desktop interface generally feels faster, plus loads of other stuff

I like some decided to just install it and not look back. I didnt want to make my opinion based on all the bad things I had read. Instead, I removed my old hard drive, put in a new ssd and put windows 8 on it. I actually have become quite fond of it so far. There are definately some things to get used to, but for the most part I think a good majority of people who hate it is based purely on the stuff they read online. Once they see the start screen, they panic. lol

It's noticeably faster than 7.

... I think a good majority of people who hate it is based purely on the stuff they read online...

I have this same assumption. Honestly, I was one of theme but since I don't necessarily care that much and the notebook that was on sale ($400 with 3rd generation Intel i3) featured W8 pre-installed I went with it. Once I started using it for days straight, its actually perfectly fine. Not perfect, but there will never be a good OS in my opinion.

It's not faster. (at least for me)
Same damn speed.

Something may be wrong...

Is it old hardware?
Did you do a fresh-install or did you clone. You shouldn't clone the hard drive.

For one, it boots faster. The shift to UEFI, and also a clever tweak to the boot process - I don't know the details but when you shut down Windows 8 your state is actually saved to your drive. When you re-boot only drivers need to be reinitialized. Its kind of a modified hibernation, but better and it works very well. Even without this little tweak cheat, W8 would still boot faster than W7.

I know some claim not to care about boot time, but honestly... before, I would turn on my Window 7 computer THEN go wash my hands or make a mid-day snack, but now with Windows 8 I simply turn the computer on when I'm ready to use it. I know that may sound silly, but the fact that I have changed my routine shows that W8 is significantly faster. I was using compatible hardware, and even the same SSD that I used on W7. Speaking of SSD, W8 is optimized for theme.

Don't for get what some of you are saying... W8 was designed for touch-screen tablets. That in itself means Microsoft streamlined the OS for these "weaker" devices, so a desktop must really shine?

I probably sound like I'm trying to sell W8, but I'm not. I don't like either W7 or W8... mhaa

How in the hell do I get a Windows 7 aero type theme for Mac OSX? This is driving me nuts.

All I want is transparent, glassy type windows on my Mac!!!

I purchased a laptop yesterday and it came with Windows 8. I used Windows 8 on my PC (Win 7 upgraded to 8, and so I am used to it). For years I strongly disliked Windows (I think most of those that owned an Amiga felt the same way about anything MS), so I never thought I would ever say this: MS finally got it right. I love it.

With that said, Skype for Windows 8 is bloody awful (not MS's fault, Skype did this to themselves).

I

so I never thought I would ever say this: MS finally got it right. I love it.

Have you been able to find out how to do a search for something, and switch windows and do something else while that search is working in the background. Whenever I switch windows/tiles when I start a search, it stops. The only way I can search is if I keep the search tile/window open.

Have you been able to find out how to pin notepad somewhere in which it can be started as administrator? If I want to edit my hosts file on my machine, I have to start search and look for notepad, the right click it and click "run as administrator" at the bottom of the page. I can't seem to find out how to pin the notepad so that it runs as administrator all the time.

Have you been able to find out how to pin notepad somewhere in which it can be started as administrator? If I want to edit my hosts file on my machine, I have to start search and look for notepad, the right click it and click "run as administrator" at the bottom of the page. I can't seem to find out how to pin the notepad so that it runs as administrator all the time.

Search for Notepad > Right Click > Pin to Taskbar

Then you can right click, the notepad icon and right click the notepad icon on the jump list to select Run as Administrator

zTYa0lZ.png

Another tactic I've been using recently...

Where the start button used to be, if you right click:

cM8Ahqz.png

Select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

Any command executed from there will have admin privs :cool:

Oh. And then there's the task manager. That allows you to do a similar thing from the Create New Task menu.

Top Bottom