Will VerticalScope try to acquire Xenforo?

Money does crazy things to people. I'm not saying it has/will happen. but, if someone drop millions of dollars on the table I am not so sure they wouldn't take it. John and James did it at vBulletin and no one thought they would do it either.

I think XF is different from TL in that the purchase would be software assets, not customer's content.

Still, i'm glad i never used TL. That's a horrible thing and i hope people read the terms of the data and use privacy.

Either way, if xf gets acquired, i will continue to run my license as is but might no upgrade.

Well, yeah, but i don't think anyone with an existing site is using their cloud as there's no conversion process to get there.

but, that may all change at some point.

self-host.
read the privacy policy and data
understand implications if the company you are using sells out.

I feel OP's anxiety. I went through the car crash that was vb being sold to internet brands and I don't want to repeat the same years long s-show. I too am worried about Vertical Scope, as they've made multiple attempts to acquire my forums over the years (most recent offer was last month). It hadn't occurred to me that they could buy Xenforo and now I feel like an idiot. From their point of view it would make good business sense. Now I'm going to have nightmares about this...

I have no idea if XF will be bought out, but I do know that if enough money is waived at almost all people, they will sell. I hope XF stays as it is, but, unfortunately, nothing is 100% certain. Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
I'm actually curious how IB ruined vB. Is there any juicy link any of you can share that partly explains what happened and how it changed things?

I'm actually curious how IB ruined vB. Is there any juicy link any of you can share that partly explains what happened and how it changed things?
Here's a couple for ya.

Enjoy. :cool:

Here's a couple for ya.

Enjoy. :cool:
i've had fun with forums since the late 90s and this was devastating news to me; had just recovered from Star Wars Galaxy NGE, too.

They are useless speculations for one simple reason. If Vertical Scope had an interest in buying XenForo, it would do so silently and make a suitable offer that XenForo's owner would hardly refuse at that point. Something that we users would know only after the fact. In my opinion, I don't think Vertical Scope is worth buying XenForo, because they, in my opinion, are more interested in establishing themselves as publishers than software buyers. And if anything I think that the risk is that they want to make a forum software from scratch, in order to have it as they want.
I disagree, being an ex-vBullettinian, that vBulletin has come to a bad end after being bought by Internet Brands. Meanwhile, it has not met any bad end because it is still there and some, even if less and less, use it. Simply, the thing is version 5 was a flop. Things that happen. Which could also happen to Jelsoft, if they kept vBulletin. Sometimes a great film producer or great director gets a movie wrong. A great music producer or great musician misses an album. A great cook cannot make the cake dough grow. And a great team of programmers get it wrong forums.

Last edited:
They are useless speculations for one simple reason.

If Vertical Scope had an interest in buying XenForo, it would do so silently and make a suitable offer that XenForo's owner would hardly refuse at that point.
Isn't that just another speculation? An offer that the seller can't refuse is rarely a suitable offer for the buyer IME.

More speculation. If VS want their own software I imagine at some stage they will develop it from scratch rather than paying a licence for something which they dumb down and *******ise anyway. Not to mention any plugins they have to licence. They could then call the software Oneforo instead of saying it's xenforo but in form that put a lot of people off xenforo because they look at VS sites and judge actual xenforo on what they see there.

Isn't that just another speculation? An offer that the seller can't refuse is rarely a suitable offer for the buyer IME.

More speculation. If VS want their own software I imagine at some stage they will develop it from scratch rather than paying a licence for something which they dumb down and *******ise anyway. Not to mention any plugins they have to licence. They could then call the software Oneforo instead of saying it's xenforo but in form that put a lot of people off xenforo because they look at VS sites and judge actual xenforo on what they see there.
You and I are saying the same thing, in a different way. This is why I don't think Vertical Scope will ever buy XenForo.

Top Bottom