Will VerticalScope try to acquire Xenforo?

Hostile takeover has been underway, NordStar Capital was awarded acquisition of Torstar in a 60 million fire sale basically. That's under appeal by competing bidders.
Yeah, Torstar itself was taken over which complicates things even more, eh. International relations ain't got nuthin' on business dealings. A buys B and spins off C into its own division which get taken over by D and ya da ya da.

Torstar paid 200 million to acquire VS... So the 60 million takeover price for all of Torstar and its holdings looks paltry in comparison.
https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/13223-62#stock Interesting numbers here re: revenue.

TBH I am a bit surprised Kier never sold. Still a chance haha, despite the claims to the contrary, it seems to make a lot of sense for both businesses in some situations. I mean I appreciate XenForo for doing what they are doing, I think keeping XenForo smaller and private helps keep the forum space (in some respects the open internet) democratic. I have to imagine they were given a reasonable offer at some point. If both parties are happy, ie just a license, I think that might be a win for everyone, us included. Most woulda sold, so there is a lot of honor in that for all who are trying to hold their own on their corner of the internet.

There are good folks that work at VS too to be clear, but something about a large forum software market share being owned by a large publicly traded ad company, I dont know.

Those of you who think it's not a scam may i ask why is that so?
Because what Chris D says is important.
You assume there was ever an offer
Note to everyone: Phishing scams are around at the moment. I strongly suggest that if you get something that tells you there's offers going around like that and has their address and logo on it. Please do a check with the real company just in case somebody's hoaxing you.
You get them all the time with gift cards saying they're from your local supermarket but you look at the email address and it is obvious they are after your details.
Be aware of everything and don't believe anything that comes your way.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/13223-62#stock Interesting numbers here re: revenue.

TBH I am a bit surprised Kier never sold. Still a chance haha, despite the claims to the contrary, it seems to make a lot of sense for both businesses in some situations. I mean I appreciate XenForo for doing what they are doing, I think keeping XenForo smaller and private helps keep the forum space (in some respects the open internet) democratic. I have to imagine they were given a reasonable offer at some point. If both parties are happy, ie just a license, I think that might be a win for everyone, us included. Most woulda sold, so there is a lot of honor in that for all who are trying to hold their own on their corner of the internet.

There are good folks that work at VS too to be clear, but something about a large forum software market share being owned by a large publicly traded ad company, I dont know.
He's most likely smarter than you think.

Those of you who think it's not a scam may i ask why is that so?
Because what Chris D says is important.

Note to everyone: Phishing scams are around at the moment. I strongly suggest that if you get something that tells you there's offers going around like that and has their address and logo on it. Please do a check with the real company just in case somebody's hoaxing you.
You get them all the time with gift cards saying they're from your local supermarket but you look at the email address and it is obvious they are after your details.
Be aware of everything and don't believe anything that comes your way.
Not trying to be hateful or mean but must ask - are you by chance on the autism spectrum, possibly Asberger's? Please don't take offense it's an honest question.

Edmund: Ah, yes — a drawback. Yes… Perhaps we need something a little more cunning.

Baldrick: I have a cunning plan.

Edmund: Yes, perhaps, but I think I may have a more cunning one.

Baldrick: Well, mine’s pretty cunning, My Lord.

Edmund: Yes, but not cunning enough, I imagine.

Baldrick: Well, that depends how cunning you mean, My Lord.

Edmund: Well, pretty damn cunning. How cunning do you think I mean?

Baldrick: Well, mine’s quite cunning, My Lord.

Edmund: (fed up) Alright, then, let’s hear it! Let’s hear what’s so damn cunning!

Baldrick: Right, well, first of all, you get him to come with you–

Edmund: Oh yes, very cunning. Brilliantly cunning. I ask
him to come with me and then…then stab him, perhaps. How cunning can you get?

No, I meant exactly what I said. People can sell businesses too, and there are more intricate options as well.

If you look at the state of....all forums? It isn't remotely a leap.
This is what it can affect if this stuff happens.
It affects xenforo's brand.
They have a unique style where the software is easy customisable.
Whoever VS are i wouldn't want to be ripped off by them who think it's ok to scam others. Because the issue is if you go with them and they constantly have server issues then you're kind of screwed.

This is what it can affect if this stuff happens.
It affects xenforo's brand.
They have a unique style where the software is easy customisable.
Whoever VS are i wouldn't want to be ripped off by them who think it's ok to scam others. Because the issue is if you go with them and they constantly have server issues then you're kind of screwed.
At this point, I don't think even you know what you're going on about half the time.

I have no information either way so can't comment but there doesn't seem much point in worrying about something you have no control over.

If the owners of XF decide to sell to whichever company in the future, asking them not to isn't going to change that.
This is true but XF customers could prepare themselves ahead of time in case they do plan on selling to VS.

This is true but XF customers could prepare themselves ahead of time in case they do plan on selling to VS.
Why would you prepare for a possibly unrealistic hypothetical situation? There are a bunch of different hypothetical situations that are possible, but not necessarily probable.

It is possible that XF ends development, and shuts down... But the probability is unlikely as they've increased their revenue and income with Cloud.

It is possible that XF is acquired by VerticalScope/Internet Brands or some other company... But again, the addition of Cloud makes that less probable unless Kier wanted to cash out.

The world could become sentient and implode upon itself due to getting fed up with the sheer idiocy of the overall population of the world, but that's also not very likely.

Even if it did happen, people could choose to stay on the current version of XenForo until they have the ability to transfer away (if they chose to do so).

The world could become sentient and implode upon itself due to getting fed up with the sheer idiocy of the overall population of the world, but that's also not very likely.
I would have agreed with that about 7 years ago.

Now, not so much ...

Top Bottom