Will North Korea Nuke South Korea?

Only one country has used nuclear weapons in warfare, the U.S. North Korea is fully aware of what the consequences would be should they attack U.S. interests in such a manner. Like others have said, it's all saber-rattling, as always happens before they want to start negotiations about something.

The sad thing for me in all this is China. They have an opportunity to step up into world politics now for the good of the planet and help to sort this out, by getting tough (in diplomatic terms) with North Korea. But they won't, because like Russia they will always only take the anti-West, anti-Europe and anti-US stance, even if it means supporting - by not condemning - a ridiculous regime..
Yeah, China is not interested in having a staunch U.S. ally with several U.S. bases right on its border. So North Korea, the "crazy uncle," it is. China already feels sad about South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines forming a semi-circle of U.S. happy-fun-time, best-friends-forever, routine-bilateral-military-exercises to its east, while flanked by 60% of U.S. warships by 2020.

Meanwhile, the U.S. reinforces its bases in South Korea with more troops and more uber-expensive equipment such as F-22s, establishes a missile defense system in Guam, deploys additional silos in California and Alaska, and spends millions more on an already earth-shattering massive military to prepare against superpower North Korea.

I know very little about North Korean politics but, despite the powerful rhetoric coming out of them, there is not much to fear. Kim Jong Un, from what I understand, spent much of his childhood in a boarding school in Switzerland and was largely unknown to North Koreans until a few years ago. Him replacing his father could not have been a popular decision with high-ranking officials. It sounds to me like he's just trying to assert power and competency.

Of course, what lengths he will go to do so are unknown and that is troubling.

I caught a piece on the BBC News Channel yesterday, by a BBC reporter that has just got back from North Korea, he's doing a Panorama Special on the country and the current situation to be broadcast in the next week or two, which should make for interesting viewing.

He seemed VERY pleased to have got back out of the country, describing it as having the worst government in the world, and in his words, 'believe me there's a lot of competition for that title', and going on to describe the country as 'very scary', cut off from the outside world since the last war back in the early 50's, with a population that has been brain washed for three generations.

Although, he felt Kim Jong Un was just putting on a show for the 'home side', particularly the military, in order to reinforce his authority as the new leader, and therefore nothing is likely to happen, he did also say that little is known about Kim Jong Un and what power struggles could be going on inside the country, and exactly who has the ability to push the button, so everything is very unpredictable.

Summing up, he described the situation like Dad's Army having control over nukes.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they are not stupid enough to try anything, and if they do, thank f*ck that China appears to have had enough of them and are unlikely to get avoid in whatever fall-out will occur if they do start anything.

Dude from the BBC kissed the ground (he made it sound literally) when he got back to Britain. Apparently, it's pretty bad in North Korea. Go figure.

In a way, I feel sorry for Kim Jong Un. Here's a younger guy who is trying desperately to fill the shoes of his father, stay in power, and not look like a doofus to the world. He's young enough that he's truly worried about how he's viewed and he was put into a terrible position when he got chosen to lead the nation. Any show of weakness will be leapt upon by the generals so he's got to bluster. How much of it is real and how much of it is show? Remember, he was educated in Oxford. He knows what modernity looks like and he HAS to realize how bad his country is in this regard.

I'm wondering why we don't know more about him, considering he was educated in the West.

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I remember a LinkAsia (original news program for Link.TV) interview with an English diplomat who spent some time in North Korea, and one of the most notable things he said is that the average North Korean was genuinely shocked when they learned that the diplomat had been to the States, and wondered why he would want to go to such a dangerous, backwards place.

Yes, to the North Koreans, America is what we understand as North Korea, in terms of development indicators. Escape From LA is not just an action flick, but a documentary.

Little men who threaten a lot will have to make good on a threat at some point, otherwise they continue to look foolish and weak. I don't think DPRK will "nuke" anyone but I think they will strike using conventional weapons.

He just needs a hug..or a smacked bottom. Can't decide which.

The latter except replace bottom with "nose" and we have a great solution at our disposal.

ewpaper.webp

But see, all of this return bluster is just making it worse. You are thinking about it too Western. Remember, in Asian countries, you have to give someone the chance to save face. Instead, we are sending in bombers, air craft carriers and missile batteries. Am I saying we should back down every time there's something going on? No. Doing that would mean that we'd do nothing but give in to terroristic threats. But we have to be a little willing to step back and give the guy at least a little bit of a break. Pushing him into a corner will do nothing but give him nothing to lose.

But see, all of this return bluster is just making it worse. You are thinking about it too Western. Remember, in Asian countries, you have to give someone the chance to save face. Instead, we are sending in bombers, air craft carriers and missile batteries. Am I saying we should back down every time there's something going on? No. Doing that would mean that we'd do nothing but give in to terroristic threats. But we have to be a little willing to step back and give the guy at least a little bit of a break. Pushing him into a corner will do nothing but give him nothing to lose.

Good point, a man with nothing to lose is more dangerous than a man with too much power.

The sad thing for me in all this is China. They have an opportunity to step up into world politics now for the good of the planet and help to sort this out, by getting tough (in diplomatic terms) with North Korea.
That is a great thing from China that at least they don't encourage brother North Korea.
Russia encouraged brother "Yugoslavia" to fight with the promise that they will help.(Kosovo)
Yugoslavia fought and lost.

Perhaps it may happen if/when the US attacks Iran. But I doubt NK will actually use nukes.
I don't understand how a country that does not yet have nukes can be a bigger threat than a country that does and threatens to actually use them. Oh wait I forgot, Israel.:rolleyes:

I am not sure this is a particularly bright idea...

North Korea's official Twitter and Flickr feeds taken over by hackers

Messages apparently from Anonymous activists appear on North Korean social media accounts

Hackers have apparently broken into at least two of North Korea's government-run online sites as tensions rise on the Korean peninsula.
The North's Uriminzokkiri Twitter and Flickr accounts stopped sending out content typical of that posted by the regime in Pyongyang, such as photos of North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un meeting military officials.
Instead, a picture posted on Thursday on the North'sFlickrsite shows Kim's face with a pig-like snout and a drawing of Mickey Mouse on his chest. Underneath, the text reads: "Threatening world peace with ICBMs and Nuclear weapons/Wasting money while his people starve to death."

MORE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/04/north-korea-twitter-flickr-hackers
Although, this image....

kim-jong-un-pig-hacked-snout.png

... is mildly amusing. :)

Only one country has used nuclear weapons in warfare, the U.S. North Korea is fully aware of what the consequences would be should they attack U.S. interests in such a manner. Like others have said, it's all saber-rattling, as always happens before they want to start negotiations about something.
That's a really good point. I was stationed on Whiteman AFB as a refueling vehicles mechanic for 5 years under the 509th Bomb Wing. The 509th Bomb Wing is the same bomb wing that bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The 509th Bomb Wing is well-known for it's B2 Bombers (the stealth bombers that look like Batman's batarangs). I have been driving down the road off base and one swooped low over me and I did not hear it. You can only hear it after it passes because of the way their engines are designed. North Korea does not want none of that and those Bombers will be way too high for them to reach anyway. These Bombers strike with extreme precision. After 9/11, many times we were forced (lol they literally make you) to watch camera footage of the bombs those B2's dropped on Afghanistan and Iraq. If you walk into the Bomb Wing's headquarters, you'll see proudly displayed mushroom clouds of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and B2's in flight blowing sh!t up. Our uniform patch "Defensor Vindex" shows those mushroom clouds as well. The United States Air Force is very proud of it's ability to blow sh!t up anywhere in the world with their bunker busting 30,000 pound bombs.

Our nation's two-party system is very corrupt. I hate to know that we have all these people in power with toys like the B2 lying around and crazy generals spending their time tinkering away on their home computer or at a war room trying to figure out new and inventive ways to blow sh!t up. I mean I like blowing sh!t up too. There's probably a pyro in all of us, but when our lives are at stake over some country on the other side of the world then I'm not feeling that sh!t. I have friends in South Korea and my little brother is stationed there. I don't want to see any of that crazy stuff go down on either side cause there will be repercussions. I really wish they'd just calm down. I don't even like reading news about this. This is why I voted for Gary Johnson this past election cause he knows the deal. I wanted to vote for Ron Paul but he dropped out.

"Maintaining a strong national defense is the most basic of the federal government’s responsibilities. However, building schools, roads, and hospitals in other countries are not among those basic obligations. Yet that is exactly what we have been doing for much of the past 10 years.​
Given trillion-dollar deficits, America simply cannot afford to be engaged in foreign policy programs that are not clearly protecting U.S. interests. There is nation-building and rebuilding to be done right here at home.​
Our military should remain the most potent force for good on Earth. To do this, we should resort to military action as the last option and only as provided in the Constitution."​

Hate to ramble in here but I love my little bro. I practically raised him. I'm really proud of how far he's gotten in the Army so far. He's a K-9 cop and is actually certified, which is rare. That means he can work anywhere and start his own company. He really, really, REALLY loves dogs. I think it's cause when my mom was pregnant with him we had a really good dog at the time that we spent a lot of time with. It's like the love we had for that dog imprinted on my brother when he was in the womb or something. Somebody stole that dog...

Anyway back on subject. I enjoy reading South Korean manhua like The Breaker and Tower of God. We talk about these manga all the time on another Hip Hop/Sports forum I'm on called The Coli. Probably one of the rarest sights on that forum, seeing a bunch of Black dudes go fanboy crazy over some foreign comic. South Korea isn't just known for that Gangnam song but has had a large effect on America with their other exports like Tae Kwon Do. I was trained in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido when I was a kid and I really loved, enjoyed and respected this martial arts form. I would think that having spent years bowing to both the American and South Korean flag would have me biased but I really don't want to see US there provocating NK like that cause we have way more serious problems in the US.

Top Bottom