1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiki Pages, why is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by surfsup, Jul 5, 2012.

1. surfsup

surfsup Well-Known Member

I am curious, why is having a Wiki addon actually worth it for a Forum?

What are the Pros?

Sorry newb question!

Digital Doctor likes this.
  2. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

My take is that most sites will not benefit from a wiki.

But some may......

It's bad form to have a lot of areas of a site which are not heavily used or fully developed. Therefore, if you have a wiki....it better be good.

On my site, it's somewhere in between the form - which is a free for all, and my static articles, which are well developed. In that sense, it's a bit of a scratchpad where I and others can post things like owners manuals, the history of certain brand names (stoves and fireplace is my gig), etc.

But a forum...and eventually the RM, can serve the same purpose.

3. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

A wiki and a forum are two separate entities, and should be treated as such. A wiki is a tool for sharing knowledge, a forum is a tool for discussion. There is no benefit of just adding on a wiki and thinking it will be a huge hit. My experience suggest you need to actively promote it to your users, and be prepared to do allot of the starting grunt work.

My idea of a good integration of a wiki is to integrate it to your forum by creating a new thread for a new page, with a link, as well as posting in that thread when the page is updated. That way you have the discussion in your forum and that static content in your wiki. I have no need for a wiki, but I have previously had one running alongside another forum, and it was heavily under used, even though there was a ton of good stuff in it. I think the major flaw of it was that there were no indication on the forum of wiki activity.

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

A bad wiki isn't very useful.
    There has never been a good forum // wiki combo.
    Guiltar is likely to change that.

Here's the formula that will ensure victory.

Wiki-like editing of posts + Xenforo alerts + creative wiki permissions = Content win = good SEO = success.

The success will be getting forum members to contribute to the wiki.