Why table wasn't added to the editor?

refael

I see that table is supported by Redactor editor.
Is there a reason why this wasn't added to XenForo as well?

Redactor is an editor that produces raw HTML as its output.

The Redactor implementation for XenForo is highly customised to output BB code.

It's not about an editor supporting tables. It's about having the underlying BB code to support tables. And, as we've seen from the various add-on implementations of table BB code -- it's not an easy thing to get right.

Nor is it something that forums generally NEED as standard. At best it's a "nice to have". But in all of the forums I am involved with or are a member of, I've never once needed a table.

So in the grand scheme of things, it's not something that should be a high priority over other things.

The XenForo editor is based on Redactor but is not Redactor (in a sense). Everything you see in the Redactor demo isn't available in XenForo's version, mostly do to the reasons Chris stated above.

Is this the same reason image wrap and proper flow around images and captions are not properly supported? Is it really that big of a technical hurdle?

As much as I will be forever grateful to @King Kovifor for the BBCM add-on, without which I wouldn't have been able to switch from phpBB, I too would like to see custom BB Code supported, which would enable tables, float and many other useful post formatting options to be made available.

There is an open suggestion for it so perhaps one day :)

Yes, there is no BBCode that is built to support those features.

So, to be slightly technical, could an add-on like Xencarta or the articles system easily add those features just to the add-on, or is all of the processing done through the XF engine no matter what...so that the decisions of the core team set the stage?

It's so obviously a shortcoming that I find myself amazed at the seeming lack of attention it gets. Even VBB seems to have decent image captioning. Is even just image caption that difficult? Or it is just a lack of attention?

I am actually hoping that my add-on becomes obsolete one of these days. I was one of the first supporters for custom bb-codes being core.

So, to be slightly technical, could an add-on like Xencarta or the articles system easily add those features just to the add-on, or is all of the processing done through the XF engine no matter what...so that the decisions of the core team set the stage?

It's so obviously a shortcoming that I find myself amazed at the seeming lack of attention it gets. Even vBulletin seems to have decent image captioning. Is even just image caption that difficult? Or it is just a lack of attention?

It can be added via add-ons. I have one that does it (or rather, allows you to do it).

You can try our addon: Advanced Table BBcode
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-advanced-table-bbcode.2283/

As much as I will be forever grateful to @King Kovifor for the BBCM add-on, without which I wouldn't have been able to switch from phpBB, I too would like to see custom BB Code supported, which would enable tables, float and many other useful post formatting options to be made available.

There is an open suggestion for it so perhaps one day :)

Could you point us to that thread? I'd like to like it to hopefully get this pushed :)

Top Bottom