1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why table wasn't added to the editor?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by rellect, Aug 2, 2013.

1. rellect

rellect Well-Known Member

I see that table is supported by Redactor editor.
    Is there a reason why this wasn't added to XenForo as well?

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Redactor is an editor that produces raw HTML as its output.

The Redactor implementation for XenForo is highly customised to output BB code.

It's not about an editor supporting tables. It's about having the underlying BB code to support tables. And, as we've seen from the various add-on implementations of table BB code -- it's not an easy thing to get right.

Nor is it something that forums generally NEED as standard. At best it's a "nice to have". But in all of the forums I am involved with or are a member of, I've never once needed a table.

So in the grand scheme of things, it's not something that should be a high priority over other things.

Jay and aiman.h.kallaf like this.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The XenForo editor is based on Redactor but is not Redactor (in a sense). Everything you see in the Redactor demo isn't available in XenForo's version, mostly do to the reasons Chris stated above.

4. EasyTarget

EasyTarget Well-Known Member

You can use courier new font to keep things aligned.

5. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

Is this the same reason image wrap and proper flow around images and captions are not properly supported? Is it really that big of a technical hurdle?

6. Jeremy

Yes, there is no BBCode that is built to support those features.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As much as I will be forever grateful to @King Kovifor for the BBCM add-on, without which I wouldn't have been able to switch from phpBB, I too would like to see custom BB Code supported, which would enable tables, float and many other useful post formatting options to be made available.

There is an open suggestion for it so perhaps one day :)

8. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

So, to be slightly technical, could an add-on like Xencarta or the articles system easily add those features just to the add-on, or is all of the processing done through the XF engine no matter what...so that the decisions of the core team set the stage?

It's so obviously a shortcoming that I find myself amazed at the seeming lack of attention it gets. Even VBB seems to have decent image captioning. Is even just image caption that difficult? Or it is just a lack of attention?

9. Jeremy

I am actually hoping that my add-on becomes obsolete one of these days. I was one of the first supporters for custom bb-codes being core.

It can be added via add-ons. I have one that does it (or rather, allows you to do it).

Marcus likes this.
  10. Brivium

Brivium Well-Known Member

11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm glad... The simpler the editor the better... Hell, I've considered removing support for all text formatting BBCode. Facebook seems to do fine without letting their users make giant bold/red text. :)

soloarquitectura, RoldanLT and Bob like this.
  12. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Removing formatting for text makes sense, unless it concerns a writers community.
    Yet, tables are a different matter. While not all sites will need it, information oriented websites tend to need spreadsheets & tables.

DeMelo, CountRock, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  13. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

Could you point us to that thread? I'd like to like it to hopefully get this pushed :)

14. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You just need to create/add your own custom bb codes.