Why have paid unmaintained add-ons in Resources?

Would it be worth a post in the announcements forum to explain what's happening?
It's not a new policy as such, it's just that until now we have relied on members to report them as checking them all manually is very labour intensive.
As there were so many though, we decided to check them all at once.

I'll post a thread though so everyone understands what's happening.

Also would it be worth moving the deleted resources to a 'Deleted Resources' category so they're not mixed in with current / active ones (just a thought)?
No, because they can be restored at any time and the threads remain open for community based support.

Presumably this is why @tenants StopHumanSpam add-on has been marked as deleted (along with others of his).

Would it be worth a post in the announcements forum to explain what's happening?

Also would it be worth moving the deleted resources to a 'Deleted Resources' category so they're not mixed in with current / active ones (just a thought)?

Cheers,
Shaun :D
Yeah, I clicked "view new posts" today and 5 pages of deleted resources popped up. I was like "???"

I can see this being a mild irritant for those of us who release under a specific name - as there are more than one of us releasing under the name - but are regularly online on our personal primary accounts. I'm on XF daily under this account, but all our addons under the Stolen Sheep Design account were listed as unmaintained. We only use the account to release so everything is under the same name instead of multiples - but we actively support under our primary accounts.

Literally all you need to do is log in with that account once every couple of months, and ensure your last activity time updates, to avoid any associated resources being marked as unmaintained or deleted.

Literally all you need to do is log in with that account once every couple of months, and ensure your last activity time updates, to avoid any associated resources being marked as unmaintained or deleted.
Yeah, I'm fine with it. It just would have been nice to have some notice prior to it happening lol

Yeah, I'm fine with it. It just would have been nice to have some notice prior to it happening lol
Judging by his posts in this thread and time of the automatic post in resource threads for being deleted, you had like 45 minutes - 2 hours notice.. how much time do you need woman? :p

Judging by his posts in this thread and time of the automatic post in resource threads for being deleted, you had like 45 minutes - 2 hours notice.. how much time do you need woman? :p
Oh... at least a week :D

Look, I haven't complained about anything in ages... give me this :p

Sorry, I personally don't think just logging in is enough. If there are support questions being posted and going unanswered by the author, then that's a problem, especially when someone paid for the add-on.

Oh... at least a week :D
You know how BroganBot works. It gets a task in it's system and it executes quickly. We've tried taking some ram out, it just doesn't work.

Sorry, I personally don't think just logging in is enough. If there are support questions being posted and going unanswered by the author, then that's a problem, especially when someone paid for the add-on.
I think they already mark them as unmaintained when reported and there isn't discussion going on. This is just above and beyond that.

You know how BroganBot works. It gets a task in it's system and it executes quickly. We've tried taking some ram out, it just doesn't work.
I think it's because it's using some stolen tech from Area 51, with AI capabilities that incorporate into the whole system. That means, once it's removed, it's too late as it's spread like a virus!

Okay, I'm scaring myself now . . .:cautious:

In which case users of the add-on can report it and we will treat each one on a case by case basis.

What we can't do is check the history of each resource thread to try and determine whether it's being supported or not.

What we can't do is check the history of each resource thread to try and determine whether it's being supported or not.
I know you can't. But I think he does address the real issue at hand. The issue is not if a developer is absent or not, but if the addon has open bugs or open questions or not. The XF Resource Manager has no way to see if this is the case (other than reading the whole thread) Under the current policy addons that work fine will be deleted.
It would be useful if a future incarnation of the XF marketplace would resolve this issue.

to me, it's simple. If you want to sell add-ons on xf, which is free, you should maintain and support them as necessary. I don't think that's unreasonable. To me, support and maintain means answering questions posed by members and fixing bugs in a timely fashion.

If you don't want the hassle of supporting an addon, then release it free, but don't charge for it, promise support, then abandon it for months at a time.

to me, it's simple. If you want to sell add-ons on xf, which is free, you should maintain and support them as necessary. I don't think that's unreasonable. To me, support and maintain means answering questions posed by members and fixing bugs in a timely fashion.

If you don't want the hassle of supporting an addon, then release it free, but don't charge for it, promise support, then abandon it for months at a time.
Exactly this.

Using the xF marketplace is a gift, don't abuse it.

Or something like that.

Top Bottom