Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

Its just a shame that both look like they had their GUI's designed by a blind man - they look horrid, especaially PHPStorm on the mac :sick:
I'm not saying your wrong, but I can look past the GUI since functionality and speed is what I really care about in an IDE.

Am I the only person here that develops PHP in Visual Studio? The only one?
I used to have to do that at my old job, it was mostly an asp shop and that was the only program I was allowed to use :P

Ended up using vs.php worked pretty well.

Okay... been using Zend Studio 9 for about a month now... every other IDE I've ever tried/used (a TON of them) can fo f*uck itself. Haven't had any issues what-so-ever... I love it.

Is it bloated/slow like the other java based editors?

I love the features of stuff like PhpStorm etc., but when the absolute basics like typing don't even happen smoothly it's a bit of joke.

Even with all its shortcomings, PhpED wins for me - it's as responsive as Notepad++ and completely native. Quite a bit faster than VS2010 and that's saying something

It *is* Java based, but for whatever reason it's much faster than Eclipse, phpStorm, etc. I really wanted to like phpStorm, but it was too slow for me.
I've never had a problem with phpstorm running slowly and have a free license of zend studio 9 which I thought was great if you were using their phpcloud product.

It *is* Java based, but for whatever reason it's much faster than Eclipse, phpStorm, etc. I really wanted to like phpStorm, but it was too slow for me.
I never had issues with speed with PhpStorm (for Java that is, I am on sublime edit 2 now and it is all instant which makes me throw away all my IDEs). But I did have issues here and there with Zend Studio when I last tried it, including the speed :/ Java IDEs seem to act different for everyone :/

Is it bloated/slow like the other java based editors?

I love the features of stuff like PhpStorm etc., but when the absolute basics like typing don't even happen smoothly it's a bit of joke.
Fix for smooth typing and smooth interface:

1. Install latest JRE 1.7
2. Remove jre folder in PhpStorm installation folder (or replace with JRE 1.7 jre folder).
3. Add -server option in "bin/PhpStorm.exe.vmoptions" file

OR

1. Install jRockit JRE 1.6
2. Remove jre folder in PhpStorm installation folder (or replace with jRockit jre folder).
3. Edit "bin/PhpStorm.exe.vmoptions" file:
Code:
-Xms16m
-Xmx512m
-ea
-Xverify:none
-XXhpm
-XXaggresive:opts

If the choice of free and fee-based IDE, PhpED is better to buy and receive high-quality and fast environment with a powerful debugger.
Unfortunately, the free IDE can not boast of speed, plus they need a lot of RAM (for Java).

If you have a Mac I highly suggest Coda. I'm not to big on IDE's for web development, so Coda suits me perfectly. One of the best apps I have ever used.

Top Bottom