Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

Why an ide instead of a simple editor?
Heh... well as I said, I've always used Notepad. I've always been proud of the fact that I code in notepad.

I'm also one of those old fogies who have been using computers for two decades and love command line interfaces...

And I'm 26.

I've been using NetBeans ever since an upgrade meant Eclipse PDT would crash upon loading, and any and every version would crash on loading. :(

Using an IDE to work along with a MVC framework really helps.
However I handle most of my CSS & Javascripting, and the creation of templates in Dreamweaver (coding, not the WSIWYG side).

I'll usually then import in the HTML and format it with pure PHP templating (which runs a lot quicker and smoother than parsing template files to insert variables).

It'll be interesting to see the resource usage for XenForo, and equally interesting to see if any of the overhead makes it much easier to extend the XenForo framework into a CMS or website.

You need an IDE to debug your app. and as Brogan mentioned .... it keeps the team sane ;) otherwise nothing will get done

I use Panic's Coda, with a plugin installed to do php syntax verification so I don't take down my employer's site with a dumb error. :D

I used to work with Zend Studio but for some reason I cannot remember I switched to NetBeans.

A fully equipped IDE is a bit overkill for me since the most advanced feat I use is FTP Upload and looking up function declarations within the project. I like NotePad++ but miss the file tree and an FTP feature.

I think Kier mentioned in an interview that Eclipse PDT would be a good IDE to develop for XenForo, just to be able to see all the methods and other artifacts available in the MVC framework.

Are their any special gotchas or setup tips in PDT in order for xenforo to get xenforo to work? Can I just import the source as a project, and start poking around with a new plug-in?

You don't even need to import it, just open any XenForo file using Eclipse and it will match up things. But I would suggest importing it as a project that way it has a complete read of all files.

I just set up my first XF project in Eclipse (Helios, PDT 2.2.0, Windows 7), working just fine. DLTK indexing and validation took a while, but the source is on Samba share from my Centos box, so that's normal.

Xdebug'ing right now, just walking through some typical forum and thread page loads, get a feel for how XF hangs everything together.

So far I like what I see. A lot!

-- hugh

I'm using TextMate on Mac.
However I'm tring to find a better alternative (for Mac!). Any suggestion?

Since this is about eclipse pdt.. I am trying to get it going. I got it to import as a project. But how do I get it so that when I see a class being referenced somewhere that I can rightclick it and go to definition?

I assume eclipse can handle that?

If you like homesite, try Dreamweaver CS5 for mac, you gonna love it.

But please don't get me wrong, I'm not Adobe's salesman after all.

Not sure, but isn't dreamweaver something for 'beginners' that don't know html/CSS?
Because I do know that stuff and I'm interested in something php oriented ;)

Thank you for the reply however ;)

I'm not good at arguing which one is good for beginner or expert coders...

the choice is up to you dude...

one thing for sure dreamweaver cs5 is quite different with what you think it is!

Top Bottom