Which hosting provider would you recommend, or warn against?

EdSt

Which hosting provider for XenForo would you recommend, or warn against?

Currently looking at (but suggestions are MORE than welcome :) ):

one.com
godaddy.com
siteground.com

Any thoughts?

I recommend Ramnode. Their Virtual Dedicated Servers (VDS) offer dedicated processor core(s), and quite a lot of memory/disk space at various price points. They are unmanaged, however. I have found their support to be excellent.

If VPS I also agree with RamNode. I usually use a dedicated server (did when I had several sites going) but since I went back down to 2 I've gone back to them (they were my choice prior to dedicated servers) as they had some of the best support I've seen (what little I've had to use it) and their system has been very reliable as far as uptime goes.
The only caveat is you do have to know how to admin a Linux server - but that's not hard to learn and if you use CentOS with @eva2000's CentMin Mod it's a dream.

I have to second this post, stay away from them.
I wouldn’t say stay away completely, I used them before I went solo and my experience wasn’t too horrible. I did get told I had too many folder levels from them once! Was warned it was causing issues. I was using a folder for fast hldownloads for my steam servers and they didn’t like that either even though I had the folder location password protected. I did like how they create totally different instances with the databases or at first I didn’t like it but it grew on me! In the end I got too many warnings from them about my directory being to full with my unlimited plan so I decided to build my own server host my site on my own!

The only caveat is you do have to know how to admin a Linux server - but that's not hard to learn and if you use CentOS with @eva2000's CentMin Mod it's a dream.

I second the recommendation to use eva2000's CentMin Mod if going the VPS route. I was a System Manager for most of my IT career, including Linux management for the last few years, before retiring a few years ago, but I didn't want to have to bother with various administration tasks if I were to go with a VPS/unmanaged solution. Once I found the CentMin Mod, I discovered that most of the Linux administration tasks, especially those related to running a forum product such as Xenforo, were taken care of by using his script-based/menu-driven approach. Still, it helps having some understanding of basic Linux and Linux administration when running a VPS, and there are some crucial tasks such as automating backups that need to be set up and managed separately from Centmin Mod (but there is plenty of information online about ways to manage backups).

I was looking at dedicated server options
SiteGround seem good though from what I've been told for a cheapish shared hosting package

They have very good shared hosting, and their service is great...but I am looking for a dedicated server....and they are not competitive at all in that segment....waay over priced.

Top Bottom