Which hosting provider would you recommend, or warn against?

EdSt

Which hosting provider for XenForo would you recommend, or warn against?

Currently looking at (but suggestions are MORE than welcome :) ):

one.com
godaddy.com
siteground.com

Any thoughts?

I wouldn’t say stay away completely, I used them before I went solo and my experience wasn’t too horrible. I did get told I had too many folder levels from them once! Was warned it was causing issues. I was using a folder for fast hldownloads for my steam servers and they didn’t like that either even though I had the folder location password protected. I did like how they create totally different instances with the databases or at first I didn’t like it but it grew on me! In the end I got too many warnings from them about my directory being to full with my unlimited plan so I decided to build my own server host my site on my own!

Kudos, I would consider an awesome project like that for a smaller site. Would love to!! But at the moment, I am looking at scalability, as a main point.

Wow guys, thanks so much for these great tips! I'll be checking out all of them in a second, including mathews's page :)

At the moment, this is the best I've found so far for a full dedicated server, anyone know of Leaseweb.com?:

1x Intel Quad-Core Xeon X3440
HP ProLiant DL120
1x 4 cores
16GB DDR3 RAM
4x1TB SATA2
10 TB traffic

€29.24

Any specific budget you're trying to fit? https://www.servint.net/ is fairly expensive, but it's managed and from what I've heard their support is excellent

Don't know much about RamNode or Scaleway. hetzner is super cheap but you can only get a server in Germany, so if you need something in NA you're not going to find it there

Found this dedicated at Leaseweb for 29.94 EUR:

1x Intel Quad-Core Xeon X3440
HP ProLiant DL120
1x 4 cores
16GB DDR3 RAM
4x1TB SATA2
10 TB traffic

I'd check out VersoBit if you're after a managed service - currently running our site on a dedi tailored for us with high traffic downloads coming through constantly. We started on a basic web hosting package and they were happy to scale with us and manage the entire process for us.

For the record I have run my forum on GoDaddy and Siteground shared hosting. the cheapest tier on both is too slow, you need to use the second or third tier. Siteground has better features including automatic free Let's Encrypt certificates. I also use cloudflare which does reduce server load some. My site gets 4 millions hits a month, 100gb in traffic each month and 50k unique users each month to put it in perspective. If you do that much traffic or less I don't see any reason why not to use these services if you do not require root access, do not have a moral dilemna with these companies and need cheap hosting. The promotional rates are less than 12$ a month for the second tier. I have also received excellent support from both these companies, believe it or not!

This is just my experience, mileage may very

For the record I have run my forum on GoDaddy and Siteground shared hosting. the cheapest tier on both is too slow, you need to use the second or third tier. Siteground has better features including automatic free Let's Encrypt certificates. I also use cloudflare which does reduce server load some. My site gets 4 millions hits a month, 100gb in traffic each month and 50k unique users each month to put it in perspective. If you do that much traffic or less I don't see any reason why not to use these services if you do not require root access, do not have a moral dilemna with these companies and need cheap hosting. The promotional rates are less than 12$ a month for the second tier. I have also received excellent support from both these companies, believe it or not!

This is just my experience, mileage may very
I currently use their second tier, GrowBig and have had ZERO issues. The daily backup even saved my neck. I made a mistake and erased users off the live install instead of the test install, and the backup was 2 hours prior. Perfect timing on saving my neck from hours of headache.

I did the same. Well, no. I really messed up and wiped out an entire site. Called HE and was back in maybe 20 min.

As for fast, they are. They offer a variety of services. I have 4 urls with GoDaddy that host on HE. I have 1 url on netsol hosted on HE. I will likely move it to GoDaddy but hosting stays with HE.

I was looking at dedicated server options

They have very good shared hosting, and their service is great...but I am looking for a dedicated server....and they are not competitive at all in that segment....waay over priced.

Is there a user threshold they are good for, for shared hosting, before you need to move? It's kind of pointless to pay for the best when you have 0 members or just a few hundred.

PSU's dying happen. The thing is that is normally why you equip with redundant PSU's on a mission critical server.
One dies and no big deal, you get an alert, you order a new one in and the system continues running on the other PSU. Rarely do you have 2 PSU's in a redundant system die at the same time.
Otherwise, you should have a small supply of mission critical items that typical fail on hand. One goes bad, replace from stock and then re-order to maintain on-hand stock.

Top Bottom