Which addons would you require?

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

That's a tough call, I'd really have to take an inventory of all of the modifications we've made plus the ones we've used from places like vb.org...

I'd be extremely curious about the modding and/or plug-in features of XenForo... (I haven't read through all of the threads, sorry if I've missed something just yet.)

I realize it's way early in the game, but customization is a really big part of a usable software package. My partners and I stuck with VB simply because of the community of modders and other 3rd party options available. This is in addition to the ability to do a lot of complex or easy modifications on our own.

I'll probably buy a license out of curiosity, depended on cost of course. But to make a switch from my current software to Xenforo, I would need to have a gallery, blog, arcade, download and link section. Ideally, I would like a converter for them as well.

I think that depends more on the core features of xen ... vb3 included a lot of features that had to be hacked into vb2, etc.

What I would like to see:

* Being able to run multiple sites / forums in a "network" like vbfans does is something I really want. Sorry Floris ;)

* Being able to use Xen out of the box with Wordpress, Joomla, Droopal, would also be a big deal for a lot of folks and it would open the door to using mods that already exist for them inside of xen perhaps?

I probably should not post because I think I am probably not typical.

From the user side I think my people work best with the simpler the better. They are there to read. I am going to guess most of what I want will already be in there. If it allows multiple secondary user group icons to display on the avatar I am almost good to go.

From what I have seen so far something like Nexus and a CMS and I would be happy. Nothing else required.

Need a way to serve up ads. Without that it would be impossible for us.

Otherwise we are extremely flexible, depending on how testing goes.

I do hope there is a free or even leased demo for a few users for testing. Like the one vb & ipb has, but possibly longer.

Being able to run multiple sites / forums in a "network" like vbfans does is something I really want. Sorry Floris ;)

Don't say sorry! :) And we're currently discussing (if) we move away from vB 3.8 to say .. xenforo .. that we will open source release the multi-site plugin, or perhaps sell it, ..

My community really has to have a feedback system for transactions along the lines of iTrader. We have an active B/S/T marketplace and that information is essential to us. I'm sure there are some other things, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the question.

I would need something like a simple CMS (vBAdvanced) in order to migrate my site. Doesn't need to be a full featured CMS. Just to fetch news from several forums and display them accordingly.

iTrader for my Sale forums would be much appreciated as well.

I do hope there is a free or even leased demo for a few users for testing. Like the one vb & ipb has, but possibly longer.

I will poke Mike and Kier for an "official" answer regarding the topic of 'demo'. At the moment, the lucky ones that find this site can demo it on the front-end. I can understand while it's in early alpha and not yet on sale, the reason for a demo is a bit lower priority than a few other higher priority items. (Doesn't mean I as potential customer don't find it a high priority :D)

I will poke Mike and Kier for an "official" answer regarding the topic of 'demo'. At the moment, the lucky ones that find this site can demo it on the front-end. I can understand while it's in early alpha and not yet on sale, the reason for a demo is a bit lower priority than a few other higher priority items. (Doesn't mean I as potential customer don't find it a high priority :D)
Completely understand, I was merely planting a seed for the future.

I may not do some thing s I was going to do tomorrow.

:)

That reminds me... and I guess it goes without saying, we'd really need a solid converter to bring sites over into XenForo.

I mentioned this in another post. Even if xenForo is working on a convert option (and I did not hear anything negative about this), we have a developer at xenfans.com that has made a vb4 to vb3 downgrade service, and is working on xenPort, a convert option to go from old_system -> xenforo_system. Since we do not have the database structure at the moment, it's not yet finished. And I am sure perhaps others are considering offering a convert option as well. I am certain this is not a showstopper for people with existing boards like vbulletin or ipb.

Completely understand, I was merely planting a seed for the future.

I may not do some thing s I was going to do tomorrow.

:)

Yeah, I know. Just giving info with the hope it help :)

For me to even consider changing my main forum, I would need at the bare minimum:
  • Automatic posting new threads to twitter (whilst minimal in nature, it provides a huge service to a large audience who are twitter oriented to follow new topics)
  • CMS - Some type of basic article with sections ability to isolate important content for ease of finding and reading.
  • Ability that google translate integrates into the site to allow user multi-lingual abilities for true multi-lingual community discussion, ie. post in Chinese and I read in English, vice versa.
  • IM & live chat (arrowchat, cometchat, something along those lines as a third party would need to support integration)
  • Blog would be nice, as my users do use them, ie. member diaries, group blogging. (not as essential as CMS, but would be nice as an additional product)
New Ventures
  • CMS minimal (I don't do bridging well nowadays and prefer an all-in-one product - vb or IPB)
The product obviously needs to have decent inbuilt abilities for spam protection to stop it in its tracks.

Ignore user, ignore thread, ignore forum (with admin overrides).

Like system is nice but a true rating system that can sink troublesome threads would welcome also.

Stopforumspam integretion and a keyword spam detector would also help

Anti spam measures are a must for me, but even more so: user friendliness. I hate signing up on sites where I spend 15 minutes just to get an account.
Akismet support for existing content, and stopforumspam integration as preventive meassure; would help.

However, dealing with a spammer is easier than I've ever seen before on a forum. I am looking forward slaying some users on my sites with this :D

I mentioned this in another post. Even if xenForo is working on a convert option (and I did not hear anything negative about this), we have a developer at xenfans.com that has made a vb4 to vb3 downgrade service, and is working on xenPort, a convert option to go from old_system -> xenforo_system. Since we do not have the database structure at the moment, it's not yet finished. And I am sure perhaps others are considering offering a convert option as well. I am certain this is not a showstopper for people with existing boards like vbulletin or ipb.

We're mostly still on VB3.8.X boards for the big stuff and smaller boards and new projects are on VB4.0.5 - We'll keep an eye on that point. I noticed the XenPort option floating around and I didn't know about xenfans.com - sorry for the redundancy.

Top Bottom