Where to hold my domains? - Not happy with godaddy

Marc

Hi guys,
Please could people give me some recommendations on where to transfer all my domains to. I currently have them all on godaddy, however since a site for my brother that I only use once a year has been removed for selling of pharma goods (its a pub football team site :rolleyes: ) without any warning whatsoever and want to charge me $75 dollars for the priveledge, and on top of that cannot even speak to me like a human being even after a complaint about the 'standard reply' stuff. I want to move them all.

That's a shame, haven't had a bad experience with them yet, but I do own some domains through namecheap and am rather happy with them as well.

Have registered an account on namecheap ... Does indeed seem to be a very good service. Transfered one across earlier today and unlocked all my other accounts ready to transfer (20 or so domains), and supprise supprise an email arrived from godaddy sorting the issue I wanted sorted originally.

Hi guys,
Please could people give me some recommendations on where to transfer all my domains to. I currently have them all on godaddy, however since a site for my brother that I only use once a year has been removed for selling of pharma goods (its a pub football team site :rolleyes: ) without any warning whatsoever and want to charge me $75 dollars for the priveledge, and on top of that cannot even speak to me like a human being even after a complaint about the 'standard reply' stuff. I want to move them all.

So you want to leave what's pretty much the best domain name registrar out there because your brother's site got compromised which is 100% user error on your brother's part?

So you want to leave what's pretty much the best domain name registrar out there because your brother's site got compromised which is 100% user error on your brother's part?

No, I want to leave "what's pretty much the best domain name registrar" because the domain was removed with no notice, no contact, nothing even to tell me it had been done (as stated in the post you quoted). Cannot speak to me about it, even if it is to say "tough its a user error", did not respond to my complaint regarding lack of correspondance, and resulted in 2 telephone conversations across the atlantic.

Apart from that you were completely correct.

EDIT: Just to add to the point, I also stated it was a site 'for' my brother not by him. Therefore there was absolutly zero error on my brothers part. The error was actually mine as I didnt check the site since it is seasonal and currently not being used as such.

What I would do is write everything that happened up, factually and leave any kind of editorial stuff out of it, and send it over to them (I'd consider to do this by snail mail since it's hard to find a good email address of someone who matters). I would write it so that it can be read in less than 5 minutes tops.

When complaining, about anything to anyone really, one also needs to provide some meaningful and reasonable way to resolve the situation. So in your case, what do you want from GoDaddy? I would write that up and say something along the lines of how long you have been a customer, how many domains you hold, how there's never been a problem till now and how you just didn't appreciate the way the incident was handled. Suggest ways of how GoDaddy could improve handling such incidents in the future and ask for whatever it is you want from them.

If they then refuse to remedy the situation then you can move somewhere else. I think it's too much of a knee jerk reaction to just give up on GoDaddy if you were otherwise satisfied with them just because some minimum wage customer service people didn't care about your issue.

What I would do is write everything that happened up, factually and leave any kind of editorial stuff out of it, and send it over to them (I'd consider to do this by snail mail since it's hard to find a good email address of someone who matters). I would write it so that it can be read in less than 5 minutes tops.

When complaining, about anything to anyone really, one also needs to provide some meaningful and reasonable way to resolve the situation. So in your case, what do you want from GoDaddy? I would write that up and say something along the lines of how long you have been a customer, how many domains you hold, how there's never been a problem till now and how you just didn't appreciate the way the incident was handled. Suggest ways of how GoDaddy could improve handling such incidents in the future and ask for whatever it is you want from them.

If they then refuse to remedy the situation then you can move somewhere else. I think it's too much of a knee jerk reaction to just give up on GoDaddy if you were otherwise satisfied with them just because some minimum wage customer service people didn't care about your issue.

Actually did the above via email. Yeah I know, its better to do via the post if possible as its better to get it resolved. This said however I did eventually manage to get someone to respond. Its quite funny really as all I actually wanted was a resolution to why I was not receiving correspondance, and for the domain to be reinstated along with myself making any changes nessecary to resolve the issue that had caused it in the first place, even doing so before the domain was reactivated if needbe.

The kneejerk reaction was due to the shear frustration of recieving 1 generic responce to my complaint in the first instance, then moreso because I recieved a further 2 generic responces (basically T&C jobbies) to my complaints about the generic responces LOL

I would say however the issue has now been resolved, however only through contacting someone high up in order to do so. As such I am now leaving the domains I have not yet moved on the account.

It's interesting that when I look into some of the suggestions a few don't have full contact information nor ICANN accredited. Some look like resellers without real understanding of who you are dealing with.

I would look for an ICANN accredited registrar has full contact information easily found on their website.

If you're looking for a US based registrar namecheap.com doesn't look bad.
If you want one outside the US then rebel.com might be worth a look.

Top Bottom