XF 2.2 When will we get FontAwesome 6 support?

Stuart Wright

Fontawesome 6 has some useful icons and I’d like to use one of them (slider-flip).
But there are some changes.
HTML:
<i class="far fa-alarm-clock"></i>
in FA5 vs
HTML:
<i class="fa-regular fa-alarm-clock"></i>
in 6.

Is FA6 support in the pipeline?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
We have a license for Font Awesome 5 Pro that permits us to use FA5 Pro the way we currently use it.

We do not have such a license for Font Awesome 6 and currently obtaining such a license is difficult due to their focus on a subscription model.

At least, for now, it may be necessary for customers wishing to upgrade to Font Awesome 6 to pay for their own license and implement the changes themselves.

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
I wish it were as simple as just switching the version number in XF (which it more or less is, from a technical standpoint) but there are licensing issues at play - our license for FA5 was already grandfathered from an earlier agreement to allow us to distribute it in the way that we do, but so far we have not been granted a license to do so with FA6.

beerForo

The 5 library suits for now. The only annoyance I ran into was, I was trying to put an icon somewhere and it kept giving me the wrong one. I realized I was in the 6 library search, where, the same exact icon exists but is a different code. Why on earth isn't the code the same for the same exact icon? 🤷‍♂️

Stuart Wright

Font Awesome was successful because it's a good idea done well.
But also because it was free. The owners need to make money, sure, but they should find a better way than charging a license fee for 6 as it will kill it off eventually.
Like going from a free-to-join forum to charging for membership would kill off that forum.

If I were the XF team, I'd be thinking about implementing a system where icon sets can easily be used and replaced. Some kind of mapping system for the icons themselves. Sure it's most likely an absolute ton of work in the back end, but it would make XF more future proof if any one of the icon providers disappears or, as in the case of Font Awesome, breaks in some way.

I also think that this addon should be in the core.
Because it's wasteful to load the whole font when only a small subset is used. And getting good with Google is what it's all about these days.

nicodak

I also think that this addon should be in the core.
Because it's wasteful to load the whole font when only a small subset is used. And getting good with Google is what it's all about these days.
it seems that will be the case

nicodak

And since we shouldn't expect any more answers from the developers on this forum, apart from @Stuart Wright who had to offer them an OLED screen for everyone (his simple question woke up from their sleep and @Chris D and @Kier himself !!) we will have to wait for a HYS to see more clearly! 😋