• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

When threads are merged, a link to specific post is redirected to the merged thread?

Dean

This is probably intended, just want to confirm.

Merging: thread A & thread B

A link to specific post in thread A, prior to merging A & B, will simply point to the combined A & B merged thread, and not the specific post it was pointed to in thread A.

Correct?

Or am I not being clear as usual :p

Cezz

I haven't seen this, but I would guess using basic server knowlge that you are right because the # isn't seen by the server... would require a second redirect via JS after the page has loaded.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
This is one disadvantage of the post permalink going to the position of the post in the thread, though I find the advantages (namely, the friendliness of the link) to outweigh the disadvantages.

Dean

So, the link to the specific post, changes to a general link to the merged thread. Correct?

edit: I don't really care how it is handled, just curious what to expect.

Nick

Couldn't the post permalinks be changed to /community/posts/12345? It seems to me that this link will redirect to the proper thread, and jump right to the post.

For example, Abomination's post above mine:
The current permalink is: xenforo.com/community/threads/when-threads-are-merged-a-link-to-specific-post-is-redirected-to-the-merged-thread.1892/#post-26579 (which works fine if the thread doesn't get merged)
Why couldn't it be: xenforo.com/community/posts/26579/ ?

Enigma

But then if people copy/paste the permalink, then they get the link that does a 301 redirect instead of the canonical URL to the post.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
That's what it was (and it still works if you make the URL manually). But in 99.5% (non-scientific! :)) of cases, the link to the post based on the thread surrounding it is better, clearer, more understandable. I really like having the thread data (title mostly, though also the page number if applicable) in the post URL directly.

Nick

That's what it was (and it still works if you make the URL manually). But in 99.5% (non-scientific! :)) of cases, the link to the post based on the thread surrounding it is better, clearer, more understandable. I really like having the thread data (title mostly, though also the page number if applicable) in the post URL directly.
Okay. I assume we can simply change it to /posts/123/ with a simple postbit template edit, correct?

Enigma

how about doing a 301 redirect to the new permalink, if the old permalink contains a threadid that no longer exists?