whats up with the SpaceBattles forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on when SB will be up and running? Also will we also have these awesome new smilies:D because as all my fellow SBers know I'm all about the smilies :giggle:

Frankly, I like SBs smileys better (though it could use a few more.)

I still say not to expect the move to be done until Sunday evening at the earliest. Otherwise "it'll be done when it's done."

On that note, I am curious how large the SB database is...

I think it depends how Kier ended up doing the database convert. I am still of course hoping it will be finished earlier than later...

I am also curious as to what features will be enabled on SB. I can't see the "like" button or trophies being enabled, for example.

I don't see a problem with the "like" button; the trophies probably not. Still, aside from the database size, there's conversion time and Kier's horribly slow upload rate.

Hopefully thread subscriptions convert to watched threads as well (a much better name for them!)

Frankly, I like SBs smileys better (though it could use a few more.)

I still say not to expect the move to be done until Sunday evening at the earliest. Otherwise "it'll be done when it's done."

On that note, I am curious how large the SB database is...

Yeah. Well at least this has given me time to work on a project I've had come up. I'm in the process of trying to save our nicest shade tree. It is a nice sized young (10 years old) maple that is starting to split. I've got it strapped together for right now and I'm debating on drilling a couple of 1/2 inch holes through it and bolting it together in a couple of different spots. My other option is to just cut the darned thing down and plant a new one over just a bit in a better location in the back yard.:cautious:

I don't see a problem with the "like" button; the trophies probably not. Still, aside from the database size, there's conversion time and Kier's horribly slow upload rate.
I imagine it'd end up like the tagging system... a horrible travesty that was quickly put down. To be fair, I imagine if they'd let it ride out it would have ended up less difficult, but still.

haha, the tagging system introduced a whole lot of problems (such as thread necromancy!) I don't think just having "likes" on a post is really going to make much of an impact, except to see who may have liked your post. It's not like it throws up random links to 5+ year old threads at the bottom of every page or anything...

Who the hell cares? "Oh no, my post was liked a lot!"

EDIT: Does it even do anything beyond the little counter on the post and in your profile?

No, I imagine it doesn't. Then again there's nothing really wrong with thread necromancy either, as long as the post is on-topic... and most were, because they didn't realize how old the thread was. It wasn't like they were just starting them up again for kicks.

There was nothing wrong with tagging other than that people were remarkably silly with it, and I expect the same would be true of liking.

There's not much you can do to be "silly" with the "Like" functionality - you click it or you don't. I think the biggest issue with the tagging was that it did some sort of auto-tagging, didn't it? Which is how we ended up with super old threads being linked to everywhere by it...

Again, I don't think there was anything wrong with the tagging feature, or the fact that it linked old threads. It was that people abused it, and I'm sure they will do the same with the 'like' feature. Yes, there are only two things people can do with it- like or don't- but that certainly won't prevent it from being abused. For comparison, look at the thread rating feature (which gets very little play because it's old and nobody cares); there have still been a few recent cases of people drama-ing over it.

Yes, but unlike the tagging, it's still there - it doesn't really have an affect on anything. I don't see Like being any different except of course for being quite simple. Also your name gets attached to it, so it's obvious to anyone who's abusing it if that comes up.

Yes, but unlike the tagging, it's still there - it doesn't really have an affect on anything. I don't see Like being any different except of course for being quite simple. Also your name gets attached to it, so it's obvious to anyone who's abusing it if that comes up.
It's still there because nobody cares about it. I imagine if they'd left tagging alone for six months, the same thing would have happened to that.

Same question as everyone else.

What percentage is the forum transfer looking at? Any idea how much longer it will take?

I suddenly have an urge to thump people.

Data migrations take a long time, even when doing light data transformations. The XF DB schema is probably quite different to the VB DB schema. The SB DB also seems to be one of the larger VB DBs out there.

So, when will it be done?

When the site is back up and running reliably.

Quit asking and go read a book or learn something in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom