XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd kill for tagging to be built into the core. Tagging permeates all major forms of content (either addon created or in the core), so it should be in the core itself. It's a major set of features, so perfect for a major upgrade.

Forums are perfect for long-tail Google searches, but once threads fall off the main page, they lose their Pagerank fast. Tags fix this. This means more new visitors to convert to regulars and then more revenue. My WordPress sites kill my forum on search results, and I'm sure it's because of the tagging. We can beat off the social media behemoths, but it's all about finding people, and that means long-tail SEO for us. XenTag works for now, but this really needs to be built into the core.

Thread tagging is currently the fourth most popular suggestion in the suggestions forum. Please cast your vote!
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/thread-tagging.374/

Also, in terms of major point upgrades, I'd love to see thread ratings used to make forums more Reddit-like, so the best content rises to the top. Forums are often about bonding and ego, and if ego is important, we need to reward the members who give us the best content. My take is that we do that by making the best content rise to the top.

Here's the suggestion thread for thread ratings:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-thread-voting-rating-feature.363/
It's a very simple way to make us more competitive with the Stack-Exchange sites, as it would be easy to create various simple addons to display (recently updated) highest rated threads.

Those are the major-point upgrades that would make a big difference in my smallish 1500 post per month forum.

Last edited:
All i'm saying is that right now, when somebody want to create a website with forums and maybe some gallery and blogs in the future, to make his business/website feature richer he will say

Xenforo:
✔ Has decent forum system
✘ No Gallery
✘ No CMS for front page and other pages,
✘ No Blogs

Competitor:
✔ Good forum system, not better than xenforo
✔ Gallery
✔ CMS that can help me customize my website with front pages and other pages
✔ Blogs

Though, IF XenForo had more addons, things would have been way more different...

I have to agree with this - a suite is vital now to XF and the CMS should be top of the list under forum development; adding a CMS to XF would open up so many doors to expand sites and make them more interesting, diverse and immersive. Forums on their own are fighting an uphill battle against the more usual places that people visit for Social Interactivity, so forums need something 'extra' to help combat this decline and exodus. It's not an easy task and it's not something I would suggest lightly, but there is a need for diversity. Whilst 3rd party developers are capable of delivering these 'extras' there is no guarantee that they will continue to do so - and no guarantee that they will implement upgrades in a timely manner when XF moves to v.2 which could leave site owners in a predicament.

Fully supported first level apps are a must as they instil confidence in the overall product and they would, essentially, be an investment that could leverage sales for XF and more activity on owners sites.

I have to agree with this - a suite is vital now to XF and the CMS should be top of the list under forum development; adding a CMS to XF would open up so many doors to expand sites and make them more interesting, diverse and immersive. Forums on their own are fighting an uphill battle against the more usual places that people visit for Social Interactivity, so forums need something 'extra' to help combat this decline and exodus. It's not an easy task and it's not something I would suggest lightly, but there is a need for diversity. Whilst 3rd party developers are capable of delivering these 'extras' there is no guarantee that they will continue to do so - and no guarantee that they will implement upgrades in a timely manner when XF moves to v.2 which could leave site owners in a predicament.

Fully supported first level apps are a must as they instil confidence in the overall product and they would, essentially, be an investment that could leverage sales for XF and more activity on owners sites.

Devils advocate here - I dont particularly want or need a CMS , or Blog , or Gallery built in the Xenforo system. I prefer to use a wordpress front end and Xenforo back end. I personally dont feel that a CMS can offer quite the same level of beauty and flexability a more bespoke package can.

That's great for you Andy and I'm really happy that you have them working well together - however, not everyone wants to work with two different systems and XF (fantastic forum that it is and why I use it) could be seen to left standing still when it comes to offering a complete package. Again it's a matter of preference and choice and whilst a choice exists then you can choose your preferred methods, but when choice is limited that's when issues arise.

A CMS is a must for sites now who want to expand beyond a forum and having to rely on other software and hoping that it will work with XF could be eliminated.

Wholeheartedly agree - that's what choice is about. I don't use the RM as I have no need for it, but I understand how others may have a need for it and it is therefore a choice. If the developers of XF can create a CMS add-on that's as good as the forum software then it would be a no-brainer as a purchase option.

Would love to see integrated blogs and gallery, too. XF 1.4 does a great job of pushing Profiles into active social media pages, but users still do not have photos or videos to associate with their profile.

I would love to see a XenForo CMS but in fact, I love the way XenForo is now and if it was planned to have a XenCMS, I would prefer to have it the same way as the RM ;)

Would love to see integrated blogs and gallery, too. XF 1.4 does a great job of pushing Profiles into active social media pages, but users still do not have photos or videos to associate with their profile.

There are a couple different galleries already available, each integrated into XF near perfectly (I only add "near" for staying safe purposes). Why wouldn't you install one of those two?

There are a couple different galleries already available, each integrated into XF near perfectly (I only add "near" for staying safe purposes). Why wouldn't you install one of those two?
Because an official app from XF would be safer than an addon where the addon developer can disappear.
Transferring the images to another addon is a hassle.

And an official app from XF takes away from the development of the software itself. Exactly how stretched do you want updates to XF, ES and RM... add in another product or two, and 2 people are doing quite a bit.

And an official app from XF takes away from the development of the software itself. Exactly how stretched do you want updates to XF, ES and RM... add in another product or two, and 2 people are doing quite a bit.
Products like a CMS and Gallery would be able to piggy back off of already existing functionality (e.g. text editor, likes, content, comments, etc). It really shouldn't be that difficult to release updates in a timely manner. Especially if the XenForo architecture is as good as we all bragged about in the beginning.

Products like a CMS and Gallery would be able to piggy back off of already existing functionality (e.g. text editor, likes, content, comments, etc). It really shouldn't be that difficult to release updates in a timely manner. Especially if the XenForo architecture is as good as we all bragged about in the beginning.

Just because a lot of the functionality already exists doesn't mean it's not still a lot of work. Just talk to @Chris D . Plus comments aren't actually an existing functionality, they don't have their own handlers and stuff; to make comments for another thing (for a lack of a better word), you have to make a new table and make the datawriters and everything just like they don't already exist in other places.

The architecture is as good as we all said, however v2 is a recode and we don't know anything about it. In theory, it should be just as good but in theory it could also be horrible (I obviously doubt it but the point is we don't know).

Just because a lot of the functionality already exists doesn't mean it's not still a lot of work. Just talk to @Chris D .
I'm not saying that up front it wouldn't be a lot of work, I'm saying once it's already established it shouldn't be difficult to update.

Plus comments aren't actually an existing functionality, they don't have their own handlers and stuff; to make comments for another thing (for a lack of a better word), you have to make a new table and make the datawriters and everything just like they don't already exist in other places.
That, to me, says it could have been architected a lot better. In one of the enterprise applications I work on, we have a comments system that can be plugged into anything. All I have to do is add a new content type and it uses the same CommentService class. They share the same table, because why would you want a bunch of xenforo_xxxx_comment tables, for example?

The architecture is as good as we all said, however v2 is a recode and we don't know anything about it. In theory, it should be just as good but in theory it could also be horrible (I obviously doubt it but the point is we don't know).
I'm not sure exactly what they're doing for 2.0 - I think I remember at one point in the beginning them talking about the use of Zend Framework was just to get the product out more quickly. It would be interesting to see how far from the current architecture that move away from.

I don't see a gallery as an essential part to a forum. It's nice to have but that's it. There should not really be the need for it to be in the core. A Calender is even less essential to a forum than a gallery, for most I assume it's even useless. A CMS or article frontpage system is completly different though. We don't live in the last decade anymore where boring forum-only sites were common. These days people want interesting content right in front of their eyes on a frontpage without the need to click through forums with hundreds of threads to find interesting content. The web has evolved and so should forum software.

I'm not saying that up front it wouldn't be a lot of work, I'm saying once it's already established it shouldn't be difficult to update.
Yeah this issue is the time up front. Maintaining isn't the problem. It's all the man hours that have to go into it first.
That, to me, says it could have been architected a lot better. In one of the enterprise applications I work on, we have a comments system that can be plugged into anything. All I have to do is add a new content type and it uses the same CommentService class. They share the same table, because why would you want a bunch of xenforo_xxxx_comment tables, for example?
I agree. I've mentioned before in a few posts that this is a design flaw which really erks me. In the grand scheme, it's a relatively small issue though so all in all I still call it a solid architechure.

I'm not sure exactly what they're doing for 2.0 - I think I remember at one point in the beginning them talking about the use of Zend Framework was just to get the product out more quickly. It would be interesting to see how far from the current architecture that move away from.
We all just have to wait and see. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom