1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"What's New" Forum Filter / Subscribe to Forum

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by DeltaHF, Mar 8, 2013.

1. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

I'd like to be able to "subscribe" to forums, such that I could then look at a page like "What's New?", but filtered to only show updated topics from the forums to which I'm subscribed.

For example, let's say you really want to stay on top of the "Announcements", "Bug Reports", and "XenForo Development Discussion" forums here. You'd just click a "subscribe" link, then view the respective "subscribed forums" link for a quick view of what's happening in the areas of the site you're interested in.

vBulletin's "New Posts" search has similar (but somewhat hidden) filtering functionality, though it wasn't fully baked in to the software: you have to append "&include=XX" parameters (where 'XX' is the forum ID number) to the URL craft your own search results ("&exclude" was also supported), but it is still a very useful feature that I have taught many of my users how to use.

A more comprehensive system built into XenForo would be very useful and should be fairly straightforward to implement.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

1.2 has a Watch Forum, although doesn't do thread listing could help alert you to new threads / messages. Would you consider this implemented (so I can give Brogan some work. Hehe)?

3. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

I think that Whats New is so various it's better to cut out what we don't want as it arises.
    That way I can just click Whats New - which is many people's lifeline - and I dont get loads of old clutter Ive seen many times before as we do now.

A quick selection to cull out whole forums I dont want - maybe development if Im not a dev, the addon Search if Im not a big board, Styles if that's not my bag, and Offtopic if I don't personally come here for anything except strict XF.
    After that I want tick boxes I can go tick tick tick down the Whats New page, and click HIDE at the bottom.
    Bliss - no more clutter n spam - just a few more cull clicks to do each time I check WN. Like I do my email.

4. DeltaHF

Unfortunately, no, I don't consider it implemented. Although I'm happy to see the "Watch Forum" feature and the "Watched Forum" page, it's not an effective way to filter just the discussions in the forums I'm interested in.

It would be so great if the "Watched Forum" page simply offered another "view" which combined all of the active threads in the forums which are watched.

5. giorgino

giorgino Well-Known Member

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

@giorgino, you need to like the first post to show support. A +1 doesn't help the developers gauge community support.

7. giorgino

giorgino Well-Known Member

8. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

giorgino and DeltaHF like this.
  9. DeltaHF

Nice work, I'll definitely be installing that when I convert my forum, @Waindigo.

Jon W likes this.
  10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

[Implemented] ?

11. DeltaHF

Is it?

12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Nope.