What's New Digest

What's New Digest 5.0.6

No permission to download
No - the addon currently only does new and updated threads.

I have no immediate plans to add media gallery support - but it is something I might revisit in the future.

Hi, your add-on has like 2,477 files in the recent update, mounting to 2.6mb compressed.. Is this normal? I feel like I’ve installed a new software.

Hi, your add-on has like 2,477 files in the recent update, mounting to 2.6mb compressed.. Is this normal? I feel like I’ve installed a new software.

oooh - you're right, it does.

My bad - I forgot to update my build.json to remove all of the test code once I added the unit tests.

I will re-release the addon shortly.

Thanks for letting me know!

oooh - you're right, it does.

My bad - I forgot to update my build.json to remove all of the test code once I added the unit tests.

I will re-release the addon shortly.

Thanks for letting me know!
No worries, I actually found out after uploading the files. What would you suggest I do?

It should work as normal - you can continue with the upgrade if you've already over-written the previous version.

Otherwise, if you haven't copied the files to the addon directory yet, hold off until I release the update.

It should work as normal - you can continue with the upgrade if you've already over-written the previous version.

Otherwise, if you haven't copied the files to the addon directory yet, hold off until I release the update.
That’s the thing, I’ve copied the files to the add-on directory haha.

Sim updated What's New Digest with a new update entry:

5.0.3a

No changes to functionality - but I removed all of the testing code from the release package.

There is no need to install this version if you already have v5.0.3 installed - it won't fix the problem and there is no new code.

If you have already installed 5.0.3 and you want to clean up the additional files, you can safely remove the following files and directories under src/addons/Hampel/WhatsNewDigest/...:
  • composer.json...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I've released 5.0.3a without the additional files.

Upgrading won't remove them for you so I wouldn't bother installing 5.0.3a if you already have 5.0.3 installed - you can either just ignore the additional files, or manually remove them using the instructions here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/whats-new-digest.6596/updates#resource-update-36529
I recommend upgrading anyway because it's now showing a notice with the following:
There are 2,426 missing files or files with unexpected contents. You should review these.

This add-on looks great, but I had a question regarding the sending of emails in batches.
I currently use my shared host server for emails and it is limited to 100 emails/hour
I know I can use Gmail smtp to get to 500 emails/hour, but still I have ~3600 users.

So does this add-on supports sending batchs of email (i.e. 100/hour)?
Thanks

No - given that there are other components of a site that also send emails, maintaining a hard limit like this should be the responsibility of the mail transport layer, not an individual addon.

I could set my addon to restrict it to 100 emails per hour - but then other components would still be sending and send you over the limit.

Best to get an addon that manages the mail queue at the system level (I'm not aware of any - other than a commercial addon I built for sending via SparkPost).

I'm not sure if @Xon has an addon that can manage sending limits for mail queues?

I didn’t find any setting to limit the amount of mails on a global level.
I could set my addon to restrict it to 100 emails per hour - but then other components would still be sending and send you over the limit.
If you can do that it will be awesome - especially if the value can be set in the ACP.
On my server the limit is 200 overall, so 100 specific to the digest is great, but every server is different.

I'm not sure if @Xon has an addon that can manage sending limits for mail queues?
Nope, it has never been an issue for me since I run my own outbound postfix mail server with custom rate-limits per destination.

Reactions: Sim
I didn’t find any setting to limit the amount of mails on a global level.

If you can do that it will be awesome - especially if the value can be set in the ACP.
On my server the limit is 200 overall, so 100 specific to the digest is great, but every server is different.

It's not something I plan to add to this addon.

How can I send a What's New digest manually to all members? I tried to run the Daily cron but I didn't receive no email.

How can I send a What's New digest manually to all members? I tried to run the Daily cron but I didn't receive no email.

Running the daily cron is the way to do it - but only those people who are supposed to get the daily digest will get it. You also need to manually run the Weekly or Monthly crons to cover everyone.

There is a test tool to help you work out who is getting what emails - it might be that you aren't on the list to receive the daily email.

The default is for people to to receive the digest weekly, so you'd need to run the Weekly cron task instead if you haven't changed your default settings.

To verify who will get sent what:

Go to the Admin CP > Tools > Test What's New Digest

Select List Users > Daily and then click Start Test

This will give you a list of users who will receive the daily email (max 200 users shown). If nobody is in the list, then nobody will receive the daily email and you should probably adjust your Digest settings.

Next change the test type to List Threads and digest type to Daily to show which threads would be sent.

If no threads were found, then no email will be sent. The daily digest only sends an email for new or updated threads in the last 24 hours, so if there has been no new content, no emails will be sent.

Finally, set the Test Type to Send Test Email with the digest type on Daily and then click Start Test - you will be sent a test email.

If you didn't receive the email, then there is a problem with your mail configuration somewhere.

Check the What's New Digest Options - most likely you have the Default Frequency set to Weekly in the options menu and you haven't changed your own preferences and so you'll only receive the weekly digest.

If you also have my Monolog addon installed, you can check the log file to see who was sent emails.

Running the daily cron is the way to do it - but only those people who are supposed to get the daily digest will get it. You also need to manually run the Weekly or Monthly crons to cover everyone.

There is a test tool to help you work out who is getting what emails - it might be that you aren't on the list to receive the daily email.

The default is for people to to receive the digest weekly, so you'd need to run the Weekly cron task instead if you haven't changed your default settings.

To verify who will get sent what:

Go to the Admin CP > Tools > Test What's New Digest

Select List Users > Daily and then click Start Test

This will give you a list of users who will receive the daily email (max 200 users shown). If nobody is in the list, then nobody will receive the daily email and you should probably adjust your Digest settings.

Next change the test type to List Threads and digest type to Daily to show which threads would be sent.

If no threads were found, then no email will be sent. The daily digest only sends an email for new or updated threads in the last 24 hours, so if there has been no new content, no emails will be sent.

Finally, set the Test Type to Send Test Email with the digest type on Daily and then click Start Test - you will be sent a test email.

If you didn't receive the email, then there is a problem with your mail configuration somewhere.

Check the What's New Digest Options - most likely you have the Default Frequency set to Weekly in the options menu and you haven't changed your own preferences and so you'll only receive the weekly digest.

If you also have my Monolog addon installed, you can check the log file to see who was sent emails.
So to send it to everyone, regardless of their email preferences, I would need to adjust the Default Frequency to Daily, Weekly and Monthly and run the cron corresponding to the settings. I.E. Default Frequency on Daily, then run Daily cron. Weekly = Weekly Cron, Monthly = Monthly Cron. That should do it? I just did it, but didn't receive an email yet. I do have my email digest preference to none though. Could that be it? If so, how do you bypass that?

So to send it to everyone, regardless of their email preferences, I would need to adjust the Default Frequency to Daily, Weekly and Monthly and run the cron corresponding to the settings. I.E. Default Frequency on Daily, then run Daily cron. Weekly = Weekly Cron, Monthly = Monthly Cron. That should do it? I just did it, but didn't receive an email yet. I do have my email digest preference to none though. Could that be it? If so, how do you bypass that?

No, don't adjust the default frequency before you send - just make sure the default is something other than "none" (otherwise nobody will get it), and then run the daily, weekly and monthly cron tasks.

If you change the default frequency each time, then everyone will get the digest emails 3 times.

If your preference is set to none, then you won't get the email - that's exactly what the setting is designed to do.

If you want to test the email for yourself, use the test facility in the Admin CP Tools menu instead.

You might want to install my Monolog addon so you can see exactly who is getting sent what.

Top Bottom