What's John Percival doing these days?

It is also relevant to anyone with a knowledge and interest in the history of modern forum products, or with a background from VBForums to know where John is now, I am interested, even though I couldn't give two figs for vB, and haven't for many many years :)

John and James were always very good sports on VBForums.

I hope he is atop his mountain of money and enjoying life :D

Sooo, what's John Percival doing these days? :D
John's involvement with vBulletin effectively ended when I took his place as lead developer and product manager. He is now a minister of the Church.

They both got the same.
No

I think it was vbforums or vbforum. not sure which one.
The site was called VB-World (VB for Visual Basic), and lived at vb-world.com or vbworld.com, I forget which. The actual forums lived at vbforums.com The site is now part of developer.com.

Interesting, looks like Jelsoft was established in 1997.
Correct. Jelsoft was not created for vBulletin, it's just that vBulletin became by far its biggest product (to the point that all the others were pretty much shelved as soon as vBulletin took off).
Second surprise, Jelsoft is about to get canned as a company. So this thread is soon nostalgia.
Last I saw, the request to strike Jelsoft from the companies register had been withdrawn or denied. Not sure why.

Correct. Jelsoft was not created for vBulletin, it's just that vBulletin became by far its biggest product (to the point that all the others were pretty much shelved as soon as vBulletin took off).
Wow, all this time I thought vBulletin and Jelsoft were created at the same time. I never even knew/heard of this before. :eek:

Wow, all this time I thought vBulletin and Jelsoft were created at the same time. I never even knew/heard of this before. :eek:
That would explain why 'Jelsoft' was only named after James and not John, the company was probably founded by James and then John joined the company and then worked together with James on vBulletin 1. Not sure if this is assumption correct though :)

That would explain why 'Jelsoft' was only named after James and not John, the company was probably founded by James and then John joined the company and then worked together with James on vBulletin 1. Not sure if this is assumption correct though :)
Jelsoft was James' company and although John was also a director, it was James that held the majority stake.

John's involvement with vBulletin effectively ended when I took his place as lead developer and product manager. He is now a minister of the Church.
Did he have a minor role at Jelsoft after you took over?

What other products did they have?

Did he have a minor role at Jelsoft after you took over?
No, not really. Once I took over, John effectively left the company and remained in name only.
What other products did they have?
Jelsoft was created to sell and market various small visual basic applications created by James and John. I don't really know any more specifics.

Top Bottom