1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I seem to be getting corrupt databases often these days

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by gavpeds, Sep 25, 2014.

1. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

So i seem to regularly have an issue with my databases getting corrupt. Being innoDB i am unable to repair or optimize in phpmyadmin and infact if i do try to repair it just crashes the mysql server all together. Any suggestions on how to better manage this?

2. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

Check your harddisks and make a backup. It might be a bad disk.

3. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Servint have been looking into it and said they can't find anything so will try moving server to another host machine.

4. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

Run

mysqlcheck -u root -p --auto-repair -c -o --all-databases

from command line

Digital Doctor likes this.
  5. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Will this still not result in the problem that apparently innodb can not be repaired or optimized or as I understand does not support this.

6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Does it effect your members ? Slow down the site .. etc ? Will the accumulation of errors result in bigger problems ?

7. dethfire

I've done it for broken tables and it gives a warning saying optimize is not valid, but it does an alternative function like recreate and analyze. My forum then works.

8. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Yes it effects the site loading and members.

Ah OK so now I need to figure out SSH assuming that's what you mean by using command prompt. I have in the past tried to connect to SSH but have just never been able to figure it out.

9. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

He didn't mean command prompt, he said command line.

Use something like putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    Connect using your IP, default port is 22, and you should know your username and password if you're using a VPS or dedicated server. If you are using shared hosting, contact your host.

10. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Sorry yes ment command line. I will give it a go. I know in the past I have tried to connect putty but for some reason never figured it thanks for the help will try it again.

11. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

OK so finally got connected, used the command and got this error. mysqlcheck doesn't support multiple contradicting commands.

12. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

mysqlcheck -u root -p --auto-repair --all-databases

That should be fine

13. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Will give it a try.

14. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Just a quick question. I am also trying to run a backup via ssh. I have the command but when prompted for password it does not work. This could be the app I am using as I am using juicessh app on android. But when I go to type password nothing is actually typed. It only seems to be when I am promoted for password after trying to run backup of dB. Again this is all pretty new to me so could be the app but I am not sure.

15. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

You don't see the password but when you type it is actually typing, just type it in and hit enter.

16. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

Thanks OK so now when in run it I get this error. Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect

17. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

What command are you using?

18. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

The one you posted. I ran It from the root directory and also tried my site directory. Both gave the same error.

mysqlcheck -u roomo
    -p --auto-repair --all-databases

EDIT:
    OK it seems that my root myslq password was different from my root SSH password so my host is changing it now. Will try again in a mo

does this repair all databases or just one database? Reason I ask is I have a few sites on my vps so wonder if I ran this from root if it would do them all?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  19. gavpeds

gavpeds Active Member

OK so after we got the passwords sorted my host told me to run this which worked.

mysqlcheck -Ar -u root -p

Thanks for the help all. ;)

20. dethfire

Are you using MySQL 5.6? After upgrading to 5.6 I haven't had any table crashes