what's a good antivirus program?

Norton anything will generally slow down your computer to a crawl. I recommend removing any Norton software immediately.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! on my PC's/Laptops at home and never had a problem with either.

I used to recommend AVG Free, however that seems to have become rather bloated with recent versions and has dropped off my favourites list.

If your going to be scanning for Malware, then Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) is the best program I've found for scanning, detecting and removing things in the past 2 years. For a free online scan, I tend to use Panda Antivirus http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

Not that it matters, but I've been using Computer Associates anti-virus software since 2001, and have NEVER had a single instance of infection . Never. It's not a free solution, and I'm sure there are others that do the job well, but until it breaks, I won't fix it. Oh, and it updates multiple times per day, and is very user friendly. I don't know if the support is good or not because I've never had to ask for it.

Just my .02 :)

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! on my PC's/Laptops at home and never had a problem with either.

I used to recommend AVG Free, however that seems to have become rather bloated with recent versions and has dropped off my favourites list.

If your going to be scanning for Malware, then Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) is the best program I've found for scanning, detecting and removing things in the past 2 years. For a free online scan, I tend to use Panda Antivirus http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
This. Avast! and MSE, never had any problems. Every Windows computer I use is using either of these.

I use Kaspersky only because I got a year free.

I would use NOD32.

As for free, COMODO and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware make a great combo. Then get CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy. Throw in some Windows Defender and security essentials and you got yourself a beast of defense for free.

COMODO and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware make a great combo. Then get CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy. Throw in some Windows Defender and security essentials and you got yourself a beast of defense for free.
Or you could spend a tiny amount of money and just buy one product... NOD ;)

I'm hoping people realize; you really only need one firewall and one antivirus (Excluding one to handle the full on network on top of a single system, and hardware firewalls).

Anymore, and you're usually impeding the ones you have installed along side it.

MSE is my single install for most viruses; I have an AV from my work that handles the full network, and my last AV is for specific things that most AV's can't handle. 

I personally don't use any antivirus, but based on my past experience I would definitely recommend ESET NOD32 or Microsoft Security Essentials (Free).

Try to stay away from Norton, McAfee, and Kaspersky. All what I noticed from these products, is the slow down and
memory hogging of your PC. Useless, completely useless.

I usually use ESET Online Scanner, every now and then when needed (when I downloaded files I want to check, or when I suspect there is something wrong). But other than all of that, I use commonsense. :)

My personal choice goes to AVG free... for home use that is.. for a company a paid solution makes more sense
I agree woth staying away from McAfee, Norton, but not necessarily because of the bloat/heavy load (which they are) but because their 'famousness' has them being a target for virus writers

Top Bottom