• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Need a good and EASY to use FTP program

Can anyone please recommend a good and EASY to use FTP program? I use to use FileZiller, but it is now loaded with add ware - The latest reviews are very bad due to this.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
^ That.

I swear by it and use it for all the official installs I do.

Whatever you do, don't use Filezilla.
If one FTP application has been responsible for 95% of FTP related tickets/problems, it's that.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I was still using FileZilla until very recently without issue. However, I've also switched to WinSCP for the same reasons: adware. That's a very recent change, and I'm highly disappointed that it's gone down that route.

Jake B.

Another awesome feature of WinSCP is, of course, SCP, which is part of the SSH suite so it encrypts everything that is transfered (including username/password). Also means you don't have to install extra unnecessary services since it essentially uses SSH :)

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I use FileZilla. Can someone explain me this "adware" talk? I am not aware of something like that.
When you download it now from the recommended source, Source Forge, it downloads the Source Forge Installer which attempts to install a load of adware.

I would hope that existing users upgrading from within the app are safe, but I'm not 100% sure.

There's also other sources to download from on their website, but honestly that kind of practice didn't give me enough faith to find out. Went straight to WinSCP and that's all I use now.

Fred.

Any recommendations for MacOS X?
I'm using Cyberduck but it's so slow.
I'm looking at Yummy FTP now, but not sure If I can use the license on all my Mac's

Wow! Thanks for all the great 411. I downloaded, installed and set up WinSCP in five minuets and logged on to my server and installed a new addon that I got from @AndyB . FileZilla (n) Yek! Thanks everyone for turning me on to WinSCP it's great. (y)