what's a good antivirus program?

Kaspersky I find to be very good. It's a commercial solution though.
Kaspersky is actually pretty inefficient now, it takes up way to many resources and causes a lot of drag on most systems.

It'll sound odd, but Microsoft Essential Security is -the- top rated AV currently (Last I checked anyways). It has a very low resource footprint, and its free ;).

If you also need a Firewall, I'd suggest Online Armor. The last test I heard it go through blocked about 98-99% of attacks, and it also has a very low resource usage, and is fairly not very intrusive. It is also relatively cheap. 

MS makes an antivirus program? the irony!
Actually, within the last 3 years they've put a lot of effort into increasing the security of the OS.

I've found -very- little to complain about with MSE, and I'm usually a stickler for bagging on security solutions. 

The problem with many AV's is they don't use proper methods for hooking into the OS to actually scan, increasing the resources required. 

My pc is acting weird, and I need to find a good anti virus program. Any recommendation?
Kaspersky by far. It's the best anti-virii on the market.

MS makes an antivirus program? the irony!
The funny thing is that it's actually pretty damn good, and free. It is definitely the best of the 'free' options and blows a few of the paid solutions (Symantetc, I'm looking at you here) out of the water without even trying.

It hasn't been the best for a while; I think it was 2 years ago that Nod32 overtook them.
I think we're going to have to disagree here but in all fairness, I've never used Nod32. :confused:

Kaspersky 11 is a rock solid solution. It's never failed me. Many others have.

I think we're going to have to disagree here but in all fairness, I've never used Nod32. :confused:

Kaspersky 11 is a rock solid solution. It's never failed me. Many others have.

Take a look at the VB100 tests and you will see that Kaspersky is nowhere neear the best by any means. The KAV products are resource hungry and ridiculously complicated.

MSE works very well but is a bit to uninfomative for my taste. Avast 5 free version is superb and another line of protection to consider is IMMUNET http://www.immunet.com/ a free cloudbased AV which can be run alongside other AV systems.

I have tried nearly all of them, and the only one I have ever had zero viral issues with the entire time using it, is NOD (Eset). It doesn't interfere with my use, it doesn't perform stupid tasks, it has caught every single thing in an email or website immediately, and even after trying to test it by running a good range of viral scanners online today, they all returned a clean result. Used it across our network for years now, still not one infection.

I've had issues with Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee & AVG at periods during use, and once I have an issue, I usually don't go back with something as important as antivirus. Don't get me wrong, some are decent, but I wanted a truly hidden antivirus that didn't bother me at all, and NOD does it. IMHO... many existing big names are only still trading on the brand that is aimed at the home user.

Take a look at the VB100 tests and you will see that Kaspersky is nowhere neear the best by any means. The KAV products are resource hungry and ridiculously complicated.

MSE works very well but is a bit to uninfomative for my taste. Avast 5 free version is superb and another line of protection to consider is IMMUNET http://www.immunet.com/ a free cloudbased AV which can be run alongside other AV systems.

I have the same issue with MSE, but I also use 2 other solutions that work a bit differently as well. As far as detection and the like, and intrusiveness its one of the best.

This is the first I've ehard of IMMUNET, I'll have to try it out.

I have tried nearly all of them, and the only one I have ever had zero viral issues with the entire time using it, is NOD (Eset). It doesn't interfere with my use, it doesn't perform stupid tasks, it has caught every single thing in an email or website immediately, and even after trying to test it by running a good range of viral scanners online today, they all returned a clean result. Used it across our network for years now, still not one infection.

I've had issues with Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee & AVG at periods during use, and once I have an issue, I usually don't go back with something as important as antivirus. Don't get me wrong, some are decent, but I wanted a truly hidden antivirus that didn't bother me at all, and NOD does it. IMHO... many existing big names are only still trading on the brand that is aimed at the home user.

As far as commercial solutions go, Nod is the best. They solved a lot of the issues they had with one of the older versions (Back when they had mad amounts of resource hogging).

Norton/McAfee are just joke anti-viruses. They're to inefficient with the huge footprint they offer, and they lack detection for many things.

I'd say MSE if you want a free solution (It also does spyware), and Nod32 (Get the one with the firewall as well unless you choose to go with Online Armor). 

My pc is acting weird, and I need to find a good anti virus program. Any recommendation?

I run open source software (Ubuntu) because there's no way to see what's running in Windows. I don't trust to enter my passwords there.

Anyway, the best antivirus is always yourself. Be sure not to get the software from bad sources and know what you install.

Commercial: Eset's NOD32 (used for many years, lowest footprint)
Free: Microsoft's Security Essentials (sufficient for an average user)

Comodo if you want an unbreachable line of defence (but loads of notifications and reduced overall speed), MSE for simplicity and speed, or just common sense and MalwareBytes if you know what you're doing.

I used Kasperky the last years but the problems began with the 2010 Update and now I don't know if I continue using it.
As mobile solution I use MacOS ;)

If you think you've got a virus download and run the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It's extremely effective at detecting and clearing out an infected PC.

For ongoing protection, Microsoft Security Essentials which is free, NOD32 or Norton are all good.

Two to avoid are Kasperky and McAfee.

The effectiveness of anti-virus software changes all the time e.g. Norton is often slated based on past performance. It was unnecessarily bloated and performed very badly in tests. That is no longer the case, it's currently one of the best there is and the same goes for MSE which is free.

Top Bottom