What theme is IGN Boards running?

It's about the clean, modern look.
Restyling is simply achieved by literally removing all default XF styling and starting from a raw page product.

You then write your own CSS from the ground up, cutting out of templates what you don't want seen, etc. That is how you write a completely custom template when you want nothing, in essence, from the default design.

From everything I've seen (And from talking to Forsaken about his design process) you work off the default style and change the code.Removing existing styling would require re-creating every portion of the design from scratch, which takes more time than editing existing code.

Restyling is simply achieved by literally removing all default XF styling and starting from a raw page product.

You then write your own CSS from the ground up, cutting out of templates what you don't want seen, etc. That is how you write a completely custom template when you want nothing, in essence, from the default design.
How do you achieve the footer like that?
I remember you released something similar but in blocks. Can we use one big block and enter html code directly into it?

From everything I've seen (And from talking to Forsaken about his design process) you work off the default style and change the code.Removing the existing styling would require re-creating every portion of the design from scratch, which takes more time than editing existing code.

Not in all cases. I'm creating a somewhat mediocre modified theme from existing code from a previous style. In most cases you can use the same code and drastically alter it with some css changes and a re-designed sliced psd. Example, I could drastically alter the navbar on the nature calls style I'm doing with a few clicks in photoshop, changing the slice dimensions, adjusting the css/html to reflect those changes.

Not in all cases. I'm creating a somewhat mediocre modified theme from existing code from a previous style. In most cases you can use the same code and drastically alter it with some css changes and a re-designed sliced psd. Example, I could drastically alter the navbar on the nature calls style I'm doing with a few clicks in photoshop, changing the slice dimensions, adjusting the css/html to reflect those changes.

You're still using the same CSS/HTML for the basis of the style, and mostly only changing certain sections to an extreme degree. You'd never completely re-do the styling as you'd have an extreme amount of work to do, and are going to have to spend more time testing.

It's also something you would ever want to do with an advanced/detailed style, not a minimal one.

Doing a complete retheme or building it from scratch is not an option for me. It'd just take me too long. I can do a little bit of editing to suit my needs however, and this is why I am trying to find something with a similar style as IGN.

Doing a complete retheme or building it from scratch is not an option for me. It'd just take me too long. I can do a little bit of editing to suit my needs however, and this is why I am trying to find something with a similar style as IGN.
You'll probably end up having to have a custom done; I don't know of anyone who has done a style similar to it, and my minimal styles aren't anywhere close to completion and aren't all that similar to it.

How do you achieve the footer like that?
I remember you released something similar but in blocks. Can we use one big block and enter html code directly into it?
If you mean:

Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 8.25.27 PM.webp

That is just a simple CSS box, with a right and left column, both containing lists floated or simple paragraphs / divs with the links in them.

You won't be able to.

As has been stated numerous times, they are large multi million dollar operation who will have paid for a custom theme. It won't be available on the internet and nor will anything similar, since they will obviously have made it unique.
You do realize that the word "similar" does not mean "identical" right? That they are not synonymous? :)

Of course it's possible for someone to have a similar looking theme. Every single CMS out there, and every single forum system out there, has themes that are similar to others. Certain sites and styles inspire others and give them ideas to create sites and styles that are similar. The frontend of IGN is using a News style CMS. Over at Themeforest, there are plenty of similar styles to that front end. Over at Rockettheme.com there are plenty of Joomla styles that are similar as well.

No one is asking for an identical looking site with identical features. What I said I'm looking for, is something with a similar look. And coming up with a similar look is not beyond the possibilities and capability of someone who knows how to theme.

The look that sets apart IGN's XF theme is merely the header and the footer. They don't seem all that complicated (to get something similar). It's silly to me that because an organization has millions of dollars...somehow...it prevents creative people from coming up with similar looks or tweaking their header and footer. Doesn't make any sense.

Like Forsaken stated, I don't think there is anything similar enough to that style already available right now...but there may be something close to chose from that you might be able to work with. Can't think of anything in particular to point you to, though...sorry.

You do realize that the word "similar" does not mean "identical" right? That they are not synonymous? :)

Of course it's possible for someone to have a similar looking theme. Every single CMS out there, and every single forum system out there, has themes that are similar to others. Certain sites and styles inspire others and give them ideas to create sites and styles that are similar. The frontend of IGN is using a News style CMS. Over at Themeforest, there are plenty of similar styles to that front end. Over at Rockettheme.com there are plenty of Joomla styles that are similar as well.

No one is asking for an identical looking site with identical features. What I said I'm looking for, is something with a similar look. And coming up with a similar look is not beyond the possibilities and capability of someone who knows how to theme.

The look that sets apart IGN's XF theme is merely the header and the footer. They don't seem all that complicated (to get something similar). It's silly to me that because an organization has millions of dollars...somehow...it prevents creative people from coming up with similar looks or tweaking their header and footer. Doesn't make any sense.
If what you really want is just the navigation and footer look, that is easy enough to do.

I can throw together the template changes when I get a bit more time, and you'll just have to modify it to your taste.

If you mean the full design, you're likely going to talk to a style designer about doing a custom (If you mention them retaining resell rights, that might lower the price).

It really isn't a difficult style, the only thing is that there isn't a large market for styles like that. I do have a minimal style I'm working on, but chances are it won't be ready till next year (Onimua needs to add some things to my framework before I can finish it).

If what you really want is just the navigation and footer look, that is easy enough to do.

I can throw together the template changes when I get a bit more time, and you'll just have to modify it to your taste.

If you mean the full design, you're likely going to talk to a style designer about doing a custom (If you mention them retaining resell rights, that might lower the price).

It really isn't a difficult style, the only thing is that there isn't a large market for styles like that. I do have a minimal style I'm working on, but chances are it won't be ready till next year (Onimua needs to add some things to my framework before I can finish it).
Yes, just a header/nav and footer that is similar to IGN's is perfect. It's enough to get me started to tweak it as I need.

My communities may be a bit different than other communities. My primary board is an online debate community that covers current events, religion, politics, philosophy, the whole gamut. We have a number of professionals and academics who are going to start writing articles specifically for this community. Having them in a "magazine" layout is ideal for our needs. Another community is a religious based community with similar articles. Forum discussion is a big part of our community of course, but it's followed closely by the exclusive content we offer.

The biggest difference I see on IGN board and most other boards is simply the header/nav and footer area. The CMS part of their site is something that I can do in a WP style when I get XF and WP bridged.

Top Bottom