What steps do I need for changing the forum URL

Brandon Sheley

I need to change one of my xenforo sites from forumA.org to forumB.com

what would the steps be to go about this with very little downtime?

thanks
-Brandon

How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.phpfile with the new database details as required. It may be necessary to set permissions for the data and internal_datadirectories to world writeable (CHMOD 0777). Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Help Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

thx Brogan

so I should change this before making the database backup right?

Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information,

otherwise when I pull forumB.com up, it wont work because it'll think it's forumA.org?

Is there really a reason to move everything to another server? You're changing the domain name of the site, right?

EDIT: Has the thread title has changed from when Brogan answered it? Now I'm confused on what is trying to be done... :)

--Ed

Is there really a reason to move everything to another server? You're changing the domain name of the site, right?

EDIT: Has the thread title has changed from when Brogan answered it? Now I'm confused on what is trying to be done... :)

--Ed
yes, moving the forum to a new server with a new domain
the title hasn't changed

PS... thanks Brogan, that worked perfectly :)

Top Bottom