what ssd should i buy

maidos

its normally for my desktop usage for storing os, saving project files from my uni where i usually code in programing language, aswell many multimedia files as converting and editing videos. But im considering getting ocz revodrive 2 but the question is would it be safe? i know its a raid0 but then again it uses 4 sandforce controller :S as far as i know it uses garbage collection since raid wont support trim but any ideas?

The biggest upgrade you can do for your computer is a fast SSD or 10k (or 15k) hard drive as a boot and scratch drive. There is little reason to store data on an SSD drive.

By the way, Crucial has a closeout on refurbished SSDs. $1 per gig.

my thought is as long as i dont use the full space capacity on the ssd i would be rather safe for storing my project files. i could had the ssd as boot and storage at the same time while having backup files on my magnetic drives.
yeah i heard about that discount but that ssd is rather slow
im considering this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=g.skill_ssd_120gb-_-20-231-378-_-Product
with newegg buisness account, this would cost 173 usd which is pretty good deal

There is little point in getting an SSD for anything other than to boot windows and run commonly used programs from - they don't offer all that much over traditional hard disks in terms of sequential read/write so using it to encode videos from/to isn't a great reason to get one.

That being said, you should aim for 60GB (in my experience 40 isn't enough) rather than 120.

I have been researching SSDs for over 2 years. There is a lot of information to consider. In short, I recommend the 160GB Intel which is what I currently use:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inc...R&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288569029&sr=1-1

Or if you can wait then Intel should be coming out with their generation 3 SSDs in a couple months.

When looking at SSDs you need to consider some important factors:

1) Random IOPS for both read and write (but mostly for write). This is as opposed to bandwidth which is usually the number you see advertised.

2) Performance degradation over time, especially if your OS doesn't support TRIM.

The Intel drive excels in both of these areas.

Some other factoids:

1) SSD performance is affected by the amount of free space on the drive. So you should never fill a SSD to capacity. I try to keep mine always half full.

Yep... my only recommendation would be the Intel SSD's... and it is select in those which one's. They are absolutely awesome for adding 50% performance improvement to a computer.

I agree with the NAS side of things though... in that SSD is only needed for the OS and software, not file or media storage, which a NAS will do better in RAID5 / RAID10 configurations.

Top Bottom