What percentage do you use for fluid width?

anotheralias

I use 90% because that's what my first board was set at out of the box, but to me it takes up a ridiculous amount of space on a wide screen. Is that still the norm?

----edit----

I meant fluid, I'm sorry!

90% would be a fluid width and not a fixed width. I normally set fixed width at 980px but now that Brogan mentioned 992px I might have to give that a try.

I like fluid width to some extent but when you have a monitor larger then 20" it gets hard to follow text paragraphs and it also makes laying out articles with pictures difficult to work on all monitors and resolutions.

Remember the days of 780px?

It wasn't that long ago was it?

At least we didn't have to design for 640 x 480 ...
eek.png

It wasn't that long ago was it?

At least we didn't have to design for 640 x 480 ...
eek.png

I guess it wasn't that long ago. I still can't believe how many people still use a 15 or 17" CRT monitor on 800x600.

ugh, 640px... I don't even want to think about it :D

Uh-oh, wait until Dragonfly sees this thread... ;)

I actually had a hatred for fixed widths but I thought i would develop a fixed width derived from mjps thread and they really aren't that bad. I guess the last time I used it I had to compensate for those 800x600 users that most probably put me off fixed solutions.

I have always designed fluid styles, due to the many different width monitors, and varying resolutions.
That said, my new forum is fixed, set at 980 I believe.

Oh damn, I did mean fluid, could a Mod please change the title? :D But thanks for all the fixed-width answers, that's good information too.

Top Bottom