What percentage do you use for fluid width?

Most fluid layouts are based on setting a left/right margin, and the width of the main content is then automatically calculated. Using a % changes the margins depending on the width of the window which some do not like. If you want to limit the maximum possible width of your fluid design, you can always use the max-width property. Here's an example:

min-width: 853px;
max-width: 1300px;
margin: 0 35px 0 35px;

However this will make your forum left aligned, to fix this you need to set the margins to:

margin: 0 auto;

There's just one problem with this: you'll have no margins if the window is narrower than the max-width. Unfortunately there's no min-margin property. So to fix that you'll need to create fake minimum margins.

Hope this helps.

The minimum percentage I'll go on a fluid style would be 85% where normally 90% is my usual percentage and on occasions the maximum will be 95%.

It depends, I'll narrow it down to the minimum requirements if I'm overlaying imagery on the background (body), throughout the forum or if I'm adding image borders.

I dont want to bump this thread but could someone tell me precisely where I go and what to do there to change the width please? I would like about 980 to 990 as that seems to be the preferred in this thread.

Thanks for any help!

Style Properties -> General -> Page Width Controller

You can use the width or additional field like so:

width.webp

FYI, 992px is the widest you can go if you still want it to display on a 1024 screen.
That leaves enough room for the vertical scrollbar and the "new" post indicator wrapping outside the main content area.

Thanks for the additional information Brogan. I tried it first at 992px and it worked fine except that Im using XenPorta for my frontpage. 992 squished the center section into the right hand section. I chose to go with 1150px as a happy medium. I will find out if my members like it or not.

Top Bottom