What Operating System do You Use?

I sitll don't think the typical end user will find much of a real-world benefit to Win7 64-bit (or any 64-bit OS, for that matter), as most probably won't be running 64-bit ready applications.

Obviously, being able to have some 128 GB of memory is good, but until everyday applications are ready for 64-bit, there won't be such an obvious need for a 64-bit OS. Not yet.

Then why does the industry bother?

UNIX is where that all came from, FreeBSD, BSD, Linux distributions, such as ubuntu, etc.

UNIX = not free
LINUX = free alternative to UNIX.

BSD is licensed under UNIX
FreeBSD is a free alternative to BSD.

Ubuntu is not BSD, but a custom linux distribution.

UNIX is where that all came from, FreeBSD, BSD, Linux distributions, such as ubuntu, etc.

UNIX = not free
LINUX = free alternative to UNIX.

BSD is licensed under UNIX
FreeBSD is a free alternative to BSD.

Ubuntu is not BSD, but a custom linux distribution.

If I'm not mistaken, as far as Ubuntu is concerned... isn't it based on Debian?

UNIX and LINUX, whats the diff?
Haha, not a lot, and quite a bit (depending on who you ask).

Unix is/was a proprietary operating system developed at AT&T. It was licensed to businesses, governments and universities for use. While it was open to use, it was not available to individuals, and the fees to use it were pretty steep.
Around 1983, Richard Stallman was working on an operating system named GNU [Gnu's Not Unix] that would be "Unix-like", and be able to perform the same functions as a Unix system. Around 1991, Linus Torvalds wrote a kernel he named Linux, which would later be put with the GNU operating system. The combination today is what many call a Linux operating system (or GNU/Linux, more appropriately).

Unlike Linux, FreeBSD is an actual continuation of the Unix code that was used at Berkley University; while GNU does not contain any Unix code.
However, a lot of the programs FreeBSD uses are from GNU (such as gcc), and this reduces the difference between the two in some people's eyes. Since FreeBSD is open source, as well as with a more liberal (irony) license, code can be taken under the BSD license and used under the GNU license, as well. However, GNU software can not be relicensed under the BSD license; so it's a one way street.

Mainly, it comes down to ideals.

Alienware M17 Windows 7 Ulimate
Desktop: Windows 7 Ultimate
Server 1: Red Hat Linux Ent.
Server 2: Fedora
Server 3: Windows Server 2008 Ent.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Windows XP Professional x86
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x86
VMware ESX 4.0

<3 TechNet Plus Direct

Ubuntu Lucid with Windows 7 in a virtual box to download from Audible and copy music, videos and audiobooks onto my iPod Touch.

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2. Will upgrade to Windows 7 eventually, but the current set up works fine as is so not a priority.

Ubuntu 10.04 on dual boot, and Windows 98 in a VM.

CentOS 5.4 in the VPS.

I still suffer on Windows XP ("Oh look, another security update is downloaded!"), but I switched my trophy wife over to Fedora 12 64bit about a year ago, and she is in love with it. She thought it was OS X at first ("Is that one of those Apples?"). The only problem is it won't do her crappy iTunes, and its a slight hassle to update the flash client in the browser.

For personal development sites, I use 64bit CentOS VPS through Slicehost and Linode, but work with a lot of RHEL VMWare clients, and the occasional [shudder] Solaris zoned server.

... I switched my trophy wife over to Fedora 12 64bit about a year ago, and she is in love with it. She thought it was OS X at first ("Is that one of those Apples?"). The only problem is it won't do her crappy iTunes, and its a slight hassle to update the flash client in the browser.
This might depend on the mp3 player, however I've found that my sansa clip has no trouble being detected as a USB device. If she's holding onto iTunes due to having an iPod, I'm not so sure, though. As far as Flash, though, are you using the official YUM repos from the adobe site? I haven't had any trouble with that (although I'm not using it on 64, which could be the difference).

I don't believe Adobe has released official yum updates for Flash for 64bit linux, at least not a month ago when I last checked. They have to be downloaded and installed separately, which isn't a big pain, but they aren't updated nearly enough. I believe I'm using the nsiplugin wrapper mentioned here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

My wife uses Rhythm Box to play her non-drm music, but she's always asking me to add or change something on her Ipod through itunes because she has a credit at the itunes store. I use Amazon and MediaMonkey myself for music.

Top Bottom