What name should I use for my new forum?

D37

Hey everyone I'm a xenForo owner now :) I am starting up a forum on anything and everything. It will be a "general" forum to talk about whatever you want. Now I have registered the two domains and am trying to decide which name to go with. Which should I go with?

• Miscopolis.com or MiscOpolis.com
  • MiscTalk.com
  • GeneralChat.net
(Misc, stands for Miscellaneous)

Between the both, I'd choose MiscTalk.com... anyway I find much more interesting to run original niche forums / websites.

Good luck with your new website!

You should pick something that is easy to remember. If at the same time you can find a word/combination that is original too then it would be ideal.

However I should point out that domains are getting less important... these days it's all about offering something to people. If the offer is good enough, even a crappy domain name won't matter much. People will find your site through Google (and other SE) if it has enough to offer.

PS: from those two definitely MiscTalk.

Other ideas?
Trying to think of some more but everything seems to be taken.

You should pick something that is easy to remember. If at the same time you can find a word/combination that is original too then it would be ideal.

However I should point out that domains are getting less important... these days it's all about offering something to people. If the offer is good enough, even a crappy domain name won't matter much. People will find your site through Google (and other SE) if it has enough to offer.

PS: from those two definitely MiscTalk.
Thanks for your advice.

Looks like I'll be going with MiscTalk :D

It's meant as a silly forum name that might attract some attention, in people going wut? and dialling in.

Running a general chat site can be one of the toughest things to do btw as you don't have a hook to draw people in. We're resurrecting an old one on Xen, but since that involves me actually doing some work it might take a while ;)

It's meant as a silly forum name that might attract some attention, in people going wut? and dialling in.

Running a general chat site can be one of the toughest things to do btw as you don't have a hook to draw people in. We're resurrecting an old one on Xen, but since that involves me actually doing some work it might take a while ;)
That makes sense.

Vote for this one, seem the best: MiscTalk.com ,

domain memorable and short in length. :)

Miscopolis.com or MiscOpolis.com
MiscTalk.com
The problem with both of those is they are hard to pronounce. I understand that some people don't think that matters, but it does. Even if someone doesn't say the name out loud, they pronounce it in their head. By cutting the word off after a silent 'c' you are forcing people to say the word incorrectly. You need something that flows better than misc.

If you are married to misc how about miscellopolis? Looks like hell, but it's fun to say (so is miscellaneopolis for that matter).

multiopolis.com
variopolis.com
diversiforum.com
etc.

Flow, baby!

thanks for the advice.

Does it matter if it's a .com ... there are some other names i like but they are either .net or .org
The problem with both of those is they are hard to pronounce. I understand that some people don't think that matters, but it does. Even if someone doesn't say the name out loud, they pronounce it in their head. By cutting the word off after a silent 'c' you are forcing people to say the word incorrectly. You need something that flows better than misc.

If you are married to misc how about miscellopolis? Looks like hell, but it's fun to say (so is miscellaneopolis for that matter).

multiopolis.com
variopolis.com
diversiforum.com
etc.

Flow, baby!

Profit/commercial/internationally oriented/general/US = .com .biz
Non-profit/non-commercial/internationally oriented = .org .net .edu
Nationally oriented = .us .eu .co.uk .nl etc.

Thank you.

What are your thoughts on GeneralChat.net ?
Profit/commercial/internationally oriented/general/US = .com .biz
Non-profit/non-commercial/internationally oriented = .org .net .edu
Non-profit/non-commercial/nationally oriented/non-US = .eu .co.uk .nl etc.

Thank you.

What are your thoughts on GeneralChat.net ?
Not bad but not great either... I'd prefer MiscTalk.com over it.

You can also try to come up with a funny or original name, this often works very well. Like some funny words or idioms people use... I think it helps for a general chat forum to have a catching word/phrase.

Not bad but not great either... I'd prefer MiscTalk.com over it.

You can also try to come up with a funny or original name, this often works very well. Like some funny words or idioms people use... I think it helps for a general chat forum to have a catching word/phrase.
What the person above was saying about how "misc" is hard to pronounce really starting bothering me LOL :p but I guess it won't matter a whole lot... I was just thinking to myself that if I tell a friend in person for example, they may get the "misc" confused with "misk" because how "talk" ends with a "K"

What the person above was saying about how "misc" is hard to pronounce really starting bothering me LOL :p but I guess it won't matter a whole lot... I was just thinking to myself that if I tell a friend in person for example, they may get the "misc" confused with "misk" because how "talk" ends with a "K"
It's a valid point though. If you have to explain or if there is a high chance for error, it's not ideal... If I were you I'd write down a whole list of things people say or words that have something to do with chatting. Try to think out of the box :)

Top Bottom