XF 2.2 My new forum got hacked, what I should do please?

KhanTastic

Hi friends,

I purchased a new domain, setup my new forum, did all the hard work and now after days when I went to my website, the browser shows warning message and says its risky to visit that page.
Please let me know how I can put my forum under maintenance manually visa cPanel a I do not want to proceed visiting my site by forcing the browser and take the risk of effecting my laptop.
I am worried about all my hard work I did on work, will lost all the categories and posts.
Which files I should not replace so that I will not lose my work, I am thinking of replacing all the files with the fresh copy but worried of losing data.
Also how I Can put my site under maintenance manually via cPanel please.

Appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Khan

I purchased a new domain, setup my new forum, did all the hard work and now after days when I went to my website, the browser shows warning message and says its risky to visit that page.
Sounds to me like it could either be some misconfigured https, or then sometimes new domains can fall into the "safe browsing"-list and needs to be reported as "not malicious" https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_error/?hl=en

But yes, as @otto wrote, a screenshot would be needed to help further..

Also, if a warning page is shown, there is usually also a "show more" or "advanced" button/link to see more info about why the browser complains...

Hi friends,

Please let me know how I can put my forum under maintenance manually visa cPanel a I do not want to proceed visiting my site by forcing the browser and take the risk of effecting my laptop.
I am worried about all my hard work I did on work, will lost all the categories and posts.
Which files I should not replace so that I will not lose my work, I am thinking of replacing all the files with the fresh copy but worried of losing data.
Also how I Can put my site under maintenance manually via cPanel please.

Appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Khan
Are you sure it wasn't a demo site you used?

It may not be a hack issue... do you have any anti-virus or web browser (anti-virus related) extensions installed?
What is your site?
Thanks your reply,
it is hacked because I have other wordpress sites on same hosting they got totally hacked, so they have affected my XenForo forum as well.

I just do not want to lose my forum structure and posts, how I can replace the files from fresh files of XF? Which files should not be replaced please. :(

Can you please scrreenshot the exact message do you see when visit your site?
Do you have no backup taken after install and setup?
Sounds to me like it could either be some misconfigured https, or then sometimes new domains can fall into the "safe browsing"-list and needs to be reported as "not malicious" https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_error/?hl=en

But yes, as @otto wrote, a screenshot would be needed to help further..

Also, if a warning page is shown, there is usually also a "show more" or "advanced" button/link to see more info about why the browser complains...
Yes I will share my screenshot when I am on my computer, thank you so much everyone for replying me so fast and trying to help me. You are great community, helping each other.

Thank you everyone for your help, I had one old backup of my forum, I imported that and now I see this error

An upgrade was found for a version of XenForo that is newer than the uploaded files. Please reupload all of the files for the new version and reload this page.

I can login to my forum now but I can not do anything as it shows that message as I mentioned above. I downloaded the latest version upgrade pack only from the XF account and reuploaded and ran the mydomain.com/install and now I see that error, can not do anything further :(

My wordpress sites killed my whole VPS server and its a big mess, I was hosting like ten websites and was running them for years. I am so stressed, lost my years hardwork, everything is effected :(

Thank you everyone for your help, I had one old backup of my forum, I imported that and now I see this error

An upgrade was found for a version of XenForo that is newer than the uploaded files. Please reupload all of the files for the new version and reload this page.

I can login to my forum now but I can not do anything as it shows that message as I mentioned above. I downloaded the latest version upgrade pack only from the XF account and reuploaded and ran the mydomain.com/install and now I see that error, can not do anything further :(

My wordpress sites killed my whole VPS server and its a big mess, I was hosting like ten websites and was running them for years. I am so stressed, lost my years hardwork, everything is effected :(
Change hosts. Wordpress is not good for you

Wordpress isnt insecure if the Wordpress admin has the knowledge to make the right settings to secure it. Its easy but you have to inform you BEVORE you bring a site online. Same for Xenforo and Security around own servers or vservers.

Wordpress isnt insecure if the Wordpress admin has the knowledge to make the right settings to secure it. Its easy but you have to inform you BEVORE you bring a site online. Same for Xenforo and Security around own servers or vservers.
Exactly, I just never touched Wordpress settings or did anything to secure them. I posted over 200 blog posts, spam was keep increasing and I was keep deleting and finally they got fully hacked and hackers inserted codes in every single file.
I learned a lot from my mistakes and lost years of hardwork too :(

Now I just installed my XF forum again fully fresh and looks perfect but need to spend again so much time on it to restructure it :(

I just want to thank everyone here, who added his/ her input on it and tried to help me. You guys are amazing and so helpful ❤️

Now I just installed my XF forum again fully fresh and looks perfect but need to spend again so much time on it to restructure it :(
Good luck restructuring!(y)
Tip: Malware is often found with Wordpress in for example leak themes. It wouldn't hurt to install Maldetect on your VPS. I don't know if you use a panel and which it is, but Maldetect can be run with and without a panel.
First time takes longer for inventory, after that it runs every night and even can move malicious code automatically to a quarantaine directory.
It's also not 100% fullproof but it detects a lot.

Good luck restructuring!(y)
Tip: Malware is often found with Wordpress in for example leak themes. It wouldn't hurt to install Maldetect on your VPS. I don't know if you use a panel and which it is, but Maldetect can be run with and without a panel.
First time takes longer for inventory, after that it runs every night and even can move malicious code automatically to a quarantaine directory.
It's also not 100% fullproof but it detects a lot.

Thanks a lot for the info, I used paid wordpress themes, I do not understand how my sites got attacked.
I will look into it Maldetect, thank you for letting me know about that, much appreciated.

Top Bottom