What Is You Experience With TinyMCE [XenForo's Editor]?

kkm323

TinyMCE is an amazing editor i love the way it works.

Pros
  1. The Eraser : remove formatting saves me tons of time
  2. if mistakenly hit a link just press "backward" and your content is still there
  3. Simple and Sexy
  4. works prefect if you are typing and editing links font ... etc
Cons
  1. The pop-up delays if you want to post link,image, or video
  2. When you want to copy content from external sources and want to edit them: is like nightmare
Why TinyMCE? When we started out, we evaluated a lot of editors for suitability. Of all that we tested, TinyMCE was the best fit. Yes, it has annoying bugs, but the others had more, and in some cases they were show-stoppers. Recently, CKEditor fixed a major bug that was a significant factor in it's rejection from our selection process, so in time we may revisit a TinyMCE / CKEditor swap, but that time is not yet.
Now, What Is Your Experience With TinyMCE [XenForo's Editor]?

CKEditor is much better in my opinion, I installed vBulletin 4 recently and played around with it seeing what I thought first hand. Hate to say it, but I liked using CKEditor and not only do I think it would suit XenForo more from a styling point of view, but I found it more enjoyable for using by far.

Personally I hope they ditch TinyMCE at some point and convert to using CKEditor instead. I don't even think TinyMCE suits XenForo's that well because of it's more modern look, not like CKEditor would.

I just did this for a comparison between the two in Photoshop. Just messing only, but it does shows you how both look compared with one another style wise used with XenForo.

tinymce.webp

===========

ckeditor.webp

i detest tinymce. it is a pain to customise, its ugly, pasted code is ugly, and the pasting of coloured text in chrome is annoying to no end.
unfortunately, i think it will never be replaced. there will always be something more important to do.

As long as it is easy to add a custom button to the editor, I'll vote for it.

Don't go off the buttons displayed in that picture, that's the quick reply box with less used. Here is full view showing more.

ckeditor-full.webp

With the number of bugs related to the editor that Xenforo fixed recently, they probably have thought about revisiting an alternative editor.

Well that's what I've been wondering, if they might be having second thoughts about re-looking at CKEditor. I hope they do myself and go with it instead. Not only am I finding it much better and smoother for using running vBulletin 4 on WAMP with it, but the whole style of it suits XenForo much better. TinyMCE is "boxy and square" - it stands out like a sore thumb and doesn't blend in well with the more modern style of rounded corners XenForo uses.

Also, does anyone else find at time when using TinMCE that you tend to make a lot of text mistakes for some bizarre reason and seems a real pain to write with. It's just not smooth at all.

I wouldn't make arguments about the aesthetics of it, as that can be changed. Personally, I don't really like how CKEditor looks in those mockups. I'm personally fine with the look that we have now, though I know plenty of people aren't (and I don't think Kier is).

If you have problems with TinyMCE, it should probably be related to formatting-type issues. :)

I guess I meant more the behavior of it than the look - issues like pasting, inability to remove some formats, the slow overlays, etc. The look of the editor is controlled by CSS, so it is completely possible to change it - there's an Office 2k7 theme that probably looks a bit more like your CKEditor examples (http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/skins.php - needs some border radius).

To be honest I don't paste using the mouse anyhow, I use CTRL -V instead, that solves the issues I've read people talking about with pasting from the mouse, I also tend to switch to HTML mode also.

That Blue theme you mentioned looks better, how hard is to use those themes. Are they easy to add. I wouldn't mind testing that blue theme out

That Blue theme you mentioned looks better, how hard is to use those themes. Are they easy to add. I wouldn't mind testing that blue theme out
In theory they're easy to add, but we do have some modifications to the CSS for our needs (custom buttons, moving images, etc), so I think those would have to be maintained.

I'm also prefer CkEDITOR. I have some issues when pasting with Tinymce...CkEditor is more cleaner and powerful.

Agree with Mike here. TinyMCE looks better in those pics. But copying pasting issues are a pain for us. We have to remove formatting by editing users posts. We have a light skin and a dark skin. Most of the time copied/pasted posts are unreadable in one of the skins. If these issues can be fixed without replacing the editor. I am fine with it.

Like Mike pointed out... the looks of TinyMCE (or even CKEditor for that matter) can be made to look like whatever you want. If XF can get the missing tabs thing worked out in the current editor, I have no complaints at all.

Agree with Mike here. TinyMCE looks better in those pics. But copying pasting issues are a pain for us. We have to remove formatting by editing users posts. We have a light skin and a dark skin. Most of the time copied/pasted posts are unreadable in one of the skins. If these issues can be fixed without replacing the editor. I am fine with it.

Are you talking about when you copy and paste content from another site and formatting is carried across with it. If yes, that is a problem most WYSIWYG editors suffer from, you would usually switch to HTML mode and paste copied text to be sure formatting gets left behind and then switch back to normal mode. Even when I used IPB 3 with it's own editor it suffered from that same issue with it being WYSIWYG.

That's if I'm reading you right here?

Top Bottom