What Is You Experience With TinyMCE [XenForo's Editor]?

Wow sure they are using it? It is not like the default style of the ckeditor demo or the editor on vbulletin 4.1
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5822-ipboard-320-new-text-editor/
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-6054-ipboard-320-dev-update-editor-updates/

We had a lot of compliments on the new functionality of our editor but most were put off by its look. We agreed that the default skin is a little ugly and not really suitable for a professional application like IP.Board so we took an afternoon to skin it to fit in better.

CKEditor its so slowly

Have you ever tried it on vbulletin 4.1? its a mess

Sorry, don't agree with you at all there. I'm running vBulletin 4 and XenForo localhost and TinyMCE is by far the slower of the two. Maybe you tested it on an older version of vBulletin 4 when it was first added and very buggy.

Also, there is an "autosave" feature being used with CKEditor in vBulletin 4 now, quite a neat feature to stop you losing your post content (the same way WordPress uses it) and saves ever so many seconds (depending on what you set the autosave time setting as). Smilies are also faster to add, they get displayed on the right-side for instant one-click-and-add smiley.

When you switch from normal editor mode to "HTML" in TinyMCE the text becomes really small, too bloody small in HTML mode for me. That doesn't happen in CKEditor, no matter if your in normal or HTML mode the text remains the same size. A decent readable size!

I personally have never liked tinymce, it doesn't function too well and has it's quirky moments plus it just looks ugly. The icons (I know they can be changed via the spritesheet) but they look like 1990.

I've only used ckeditor in short bursts when i setup my test ipb forum so haven't really compared the two on what functions better on one that the other does better (faster). I know out of the box, ckeditor looks better.

Well I think most know I have a dislike for TinyMCE, frankly I think it sucks! That said I have tried to look at the best in both on my localhost set-up. I have no idea why, but when using TinyMCE there is no real smoothness when typing messages compared to other editors I've used. It sounds really stupid to say, but it's like TinyMCE has a problem keeping up if your fast at writing text like me.

But anyway, here is something else I wanted to say. Both IPB and vBulletin use CKEditor meaning it's going to be a factor that some people will judge XenForo on, should they use XenForo coming with TinyMCE or vBulletin and IPB coming with CKEditor. Now to me it makes sense that XenForo should follow the other two and use CKEditor because it will take away that judging factor if all 3 use it.

Sorry, don't agree with you at all there. I'm running vBulletin 4 and XenForo localhost and TinyMCE is by far the slower of the two. Maybe you tested it on an older version of vBulletin 4 when it was first added and very buggy.
and you consider that to try any forum software in localhost is the best option to determine if it is slow or fast?

OMG..

and you consider that to try any forum software in localhost is the best option to determine if it is slow or fast?

OMG..

I've also run vBulletin 4 live on my server last week (now removed), so no my opinion is not based solely from a localhost install point of view.

But anyway, here is something else I wanted to say. Both IPB and vBulletin use CKEditor meaning it's going to be a factor that some people will judge XenForo on, should they use XenForo coming with TinyMCE or vBulletin and IPB coming with CKEditor. Now to me it makes sense that XenForo should follow the other two and use CKEditor because it will take away that judging factor if all 3 use it.
I am sorry, but I am totally against the idea that all forums should use the same editor. Maybe an option for users to choose whatever editors they prefer;)
  1. CKEditor
  2. TinyMCE
  3. anyeditor

I am sorry, but I am totally against the idea that all forums should use the same editor. Maybe an option for users to choose whatever editors they prefer;)
  1. CKEditor
  2. TinyMCE
  3. anyeditor
Yeah... That means they'd have to support multiple editors, rather than just TinyMCE.

Is there a way of changing the editor? That would be a great feature to include in the admin panel and then we can choose which one we want to go with.

Top Bottom