What is the future of XF?

back

I feel that XF is getting bloated now. How will management make sure that it will be future proof? Are there plans to make the software run faster or make it headless?

Personally I would like to see a JS frontend which supports native streaming threads like Facebook or Twitter.

The world is turning to a fully client side rendered model while XenForo is 95% server rendered. It worries me because I don’t want to rewrite all my **** again if the XF devs decide to make a new front end :).

The world is turning to a fully client side rendered model while XenForo is 95% server rendered.
That makes sense for applications like Facebook and Twitter where there is lots of rapidly-changing, unstructured content such that there isn't really a concept of 'a page', but in the case of a forum you are far more likely to encounter multiple related items that far more represent 'a page' so server-side rendering is far more efficient.

That makes sense for applications like Facebook and Twitter where there is lots of rapidly-changing, unstructured content such that there isn't really a concept of 'a page', but in the case of a forum you are far more likely to encounter multiple related items that far more represent 'a page' so server-side rendering is far more efficient.
Thanks for speaking to me Kier 😅. I’m glad to hear such changes aren’t planned. I’m looking so much forward to seeing what’s coming. ❤️

I'm not sure I follow that argument. Both Twitter and Facebooks default page are a list of multiple content types, but the same applies to Xenforo's news feed, which in a modern setting would be the default page as well.
Both Facebook and Twitter have dedicated content views with comments that are all related to the main item and to each other (nested comments, etc.) which are practically identical to forum threads on a macro level.

There's a lot of arguments for both sides, server- and client-side rendering, and as a compromise, a lot of modern applications provide a mixture of both (plus static pages). For old-school forums where SEO and content discovery are key, server-side rendering is pretty essential, but a modern community could leverage a client/mixed rendering a lot.
I think switching over from what comes out of the box makes little sense at this point, providing the tools for third parties to build their own solution would be huge though. That would include a more powerful API with access to pretty much every functionality plus proper authentication, and maybe a more modern API layer like GraphQL.

Top Bottom