what is the confirm email link?

Brandon Sheley

Hello,

I'm getting ready to send out first email blast out since we moved to xenfor and I see several users that are in the "unregistered or unconfirmed email" group.
I want to include a clickable link that would allow anyone to confirm their account if needed.

Thank you

-Brandon

also.. is there a nice simple newsletter type mod in the works or one available already?

This is the link where they can request a new confirmation email:

http://xenforo.com/community/index.php?account-confirmation/resend

Or with friendly URLs:

http://xenforo.com/community/account-confirmation/resend

Note that this page requires that the user be logged in.

I see several users that are in the "unregistered or unconfirmed email" group.

Note that XenForo has a user state to designate a user as awaiting confirmation. Check their user state (not their group) to know if they are awaiting email confirmation:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users -> [find the user]

Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 9.38.28 PM.webp

also.. is there a nice simple newsletter type mod in the works or one available already?

You can send emails through the Admin CP:

Admin CP -> Users -> Email Users

You can send HTML emails too.

This is the link where they can request a new confirmation email:

http://xenforo.com/community/index.php?account-confirmation/resend

Or with friendly URLs:

http://xenforo.com/community/account-confirmation/resend

Note that this page requires that the user be logged in.
Thanks but I'm asking for one link they can click to confirm their email since they'll be getting an email from me already, can I bypass the resending of the link and just give them the direct link?
Note that XenForo has a user state to designate a user as awaiting confirmation. Check their user state (not their group) to know if they are awaiting email confirmation:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users -> [find the user]

View attachment 16941
I have colored the user groups and I see a ton of users in that are the same color as the unconfirmed group, I wish there was an easy way to see all users of a group.
You can send emails through the Admin CP:

Admin CP -> Users -> Email Users

You can send HTML emails too.
Yes I know that, I'm asking about a newsletter app or something to make a much better looking email.

For example the email I got from xenforo about the 1.0.4 upgrade looked very amateurish, I'm trying to avoid that on my forum.

Thanks for the help

-Brandon

can I bypass the resending of the link and just give them the direct link?

I don't see an option for this. The user must first request an activation email using that page.

I have colored the user groups and I see a ton of users in that are the same color as the unconfirmed group, I wish there was an easy way to see all users of a group.

You can search for members of a particular group in your:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users

You can also search by user state on that page which is the proper way to find all users awaiting email confirmation (instead of by group):

Screen shot 2011-07-15 at 10.44.57 AM.webp

The Unregistered / Unconfirmed group designates the permissions for those types of users, but users are not normally assigned to that group unless you have manually put them there. If you see a user in the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group it doesn't mean they are awaiting email confirmation. You need to look at their user state.

Thank you Jake for the help, exactly what I was after. (y)

Kier, I'm not impressed with your aggressive reply or the follower after.
If I had wanted to make suggestions for the email blast xenforo sent out, I would of made a thread about it. ;)
I was using it as an example to Jake of what I didn't want. (hence the phrases "For example")

I'll certainly try to give you a few examples of good professional email newsletters as I get them in the mail. I get some really nice looking newsletters from different groups I'm in, I'd like to be able to produce something similar for our members. :)

Thanks!

There is a bridge to mailchimp in the addons section
oh really, that's great
I'll search for it, have you used it before?

One more question, is there a mod or setting in xf to help in removing bounced emails from the system?

Thanks!
If your intention was constructive criticism as you claim, your language was ill-chosen. You will find that people tend not to respond favourably to insults.
My intention wasn't constructive criticism or an insult.
with just a simple mod i think it will look amateurish.
PS.. I think you guys are taking my comment a little to personal.
Look at the screenshot Kier posted, than check out some examples of professional newsletters here
http://bit.ly/pGAlON
You'll quickly see what I mean.

It wasn't meant to be a dig at xf, it was an EXAMPLE in reply to a suggestion to use the built in system..

The bridge is here but it is on hold until 1.1 is released. And i dont take anything posted in a forum too personal, but compared to chimp mail any other small addon will produce junk.

@the xenforo newsletter, i like it and it's good. it fits to the whole CI. Yes, you can go to themeforest and buy a e-mail template for 4$ but will it fit?

XenForo has HTML mail support. How your email looks is 100% up to you. I recommend to look into this and customize something that's unique to your site.

You can set a bounce mail. As far as I know there's no "mod" (add-on) for XenForo that taps into a mail account and auto processes these. Don't forget, this is not Google Inc or Facebook with millions a month in funding and profit. This is version 1 of a forum product.

It wasn't meant to be a dig at xf, it was an EXAMPLE in reply to a suggestion to use the built in system..
That's how your recent posts come across though. And I am not just saying that because I dislike you.

The newsletters you linked to in Google are outdated ugly designs for the most part, takes me back to the html 3.2 days. If you want "good looking" newsletters, check out something like this:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/07/15/email-newsletters-worth-subscribing-to/

That said, 50% of those are just as ugly as the rest. Bloated, small letters, 40% render fail in outdated browsers, etc.

The bridge is here but it is on hold until 1.1 is released. And i dont take anything posted in a forum too personal, but compared to chimp mail any other small addon will produce junk.

@the xenforo newsletter, i like it and it's good. it fits to the whole CI. Yes, you can go to themeforest and buy a e-mail template for 4$ but will it fit?
thank you very much for the info (y)

hmm. I don't understand why 2 users that are in the same group (the only group) and their account state is set to valid, show as two colors

I have the "registered" group" set as green
The unconfirmed/unregistered" as black
One of these users is green, one is black

Is there anything I else I can check, they are both newer members but this is showing up on older members as well and I can't figure out why they would be different?

Thanks for the help

hmm. I don't understand why 2 users that are in the same group (the only group) and their account state is set to valid, show as two colors

I have the "registered" group" set as green
The unconfirmed/unregistered" as black
One of these users is green, one is black

Is there anything I else I can check, they are both newer members but this is showing up on older members as well and I can't figure out why they would be different?

Thanks for the help
Anyone with ideas about this?
I guess I can just color the uncofirmed/unregistered group as green too so they look the same :unsure:
I'll keep digging

Just had a quick look.

The members which are showing in black also have a user title of Member instead of General Users.
I suspect that the database information for these users is incorrect.

To test this I added the member which is showing incorrectly (KjAthena) to the Contributors group as a Secondary and saved.
Then I removed them from the group and saved again.

Now they are showing correctly.

Either there was an issue during the import or one of the add-ons is the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately there's no really quick fix so you will have to manually edit, save, edit, save the members who are affected.

If it continues to happen with new members then you will need to disable your add-ons to try and determine which one is causing the problem.

Although, having said that, if it is just the xf_user.user_group_id and xf_user.display_style_group_id which are wrong in the database, then these can be changed directly there.

Only if the xf_user.permission_combination_id is correct though, as that won't be updated when manually editing the database.

You will need to compare the records for the members who are affected against a member who is OK to determine which fields are different.

Top Bottom