What is the average price of a custom style?

xIsabel38

As the topic says, I'm going to be investing soon in someone to do a completely custom XenForo style and I'm trying to figure out now what sort of pricetag most people offer for such services so I can begin saving up as these funds come out of pocket.

Some ideas about the style:
I'm thinking an old style parchment scroll as the forum background, blocked two-column node layout, and a lot of pretty graphics to spice the layout up.

I'm not a fan of plain and functional because I believe beautiful and amazing can also be functional.

I'll likely be wanting this on XenForo 1.2 when it is released.

So how much do pay charge for such services?

As the topic says, I'm going to be investing soon in someone to do a completely custom XenForo style and I'm trying to figure out now what sort of pricetag most people offer for such services so I can begin saving up as these funds come out of pocket.

Some ideas about the style:
I'm thinking an old style parchment scroll as the forum background, blocked two-column node layout, and a lot of pretty graphics to spice the layout up.

I'm not a fan of plain and functional because I believe beautiful and amazing can also be functional.

I'll likely be wanting this on XenForo 1.2 when it is released.

So how much do pay charge for such services?
It varies.

Designers will typically charge by the hour unless you can find someone who does a flat rate. And those fees very depending on what is required.

I typically find @napy8gen to be affordable. He'll port over vBulletin styles to XenForo for $199 the last I know, which is very economical for a base price.

But again it depends on what you want, what is required, and how much time & effort is put into it. This is typical of most designers.

But a good designer can usually give you a quote in advance. :)

I'm in the process of creating a list of exactly what I want it to look like and how I want it to perform and operate. I even use MSPaint to draw up a basic layout, but until the time that I am ready to begin hiring someone, I just need some basic quotes on creating totally custom styles.

Off the top of my head, requirements would include:
  1. Extensive Forum Styles Development (Coding via CSS)
    -Taking a default XenForo 1.1.5 (or 1.2 if it comes out soon) and making it amazing with a unique theme and layout
  2. Extensive Graphic Design (Photoshop, GIMP, Photonet, etc...)
    -Background image, forum borders, node borders, category backgrounds, node icons
I won't be needing any import services from VB or any other software, this will be a fresh forum.

Yeah I am using xenCarta......hang on a sec and I will allow guest viewing of the Wiki. @Russ put in alot of time and was really dedicated to making that theme look good. It's one he shows off in his thread on here.

Hmm, see I'm not sure if I'm a fan of XenCarta. I am trying it out on my test site right now but I don't know. Biggest issue for me is the inability to put links where you want them.

Like for my Site a section of Equipment might read:
Armor
-Light Armor
-Medium Armor
-Heavy Armor

But with XenCarta I can't get them to format that way since it places links in alphabetical order. That also doesn't work for me if I wanted to do something like:

Level 1 Instance
Level 5 Instance
Level 7 Instance
Level 10 Instance

The auto alphabetical listing would place it as:
Level 1...
Level 10
Level 5
Level 7

Anyway, this isn't a XenCarta thread (though the forum designer might have to do that layout too if I use it).

I have a question and here's something I've actually never seen done before. Is it possible to reformat the way an entire post looks. For example:
Take this image:

-Removed images in order to keep some aspects of my wishes between myself and my developer-

Last edited:
I have a question and here's something I've actually never seen done before. Is it possible to reformat the way an entire post looks. For example:
Take this image:

Sure, wouldn't be hard to do with CSS. Though on the right, instead of the username again I would do some custom fields like main EQ character name, character class, guild, realm.. etc.

Only thing that could be an issue like that using that background would be longer posts. as your space is limited.

Sure, wouldn't be hard to do with CSS. Though on the right, instead of the username again I would do some custom fields like main EQ character name, character class, guild, realm.. etc.

Only thing that could be an issue like that using that background would be longer posts. as your space is limited.
Awesome ideas. The username twice thing was simply a for now idea but this idea is much much better. As far as the space thing goes, is it possible to have some sort of expanding image?

Awesome ideas. The username twice thing was simply a for now idea but this idea is much much better. As far as the space thing goes, is it possible to have some sort of expanding image?

The right person might be able to make it expand for longer posts. That would actually be a pretty awesome deal if it could get done.

Top Bottom