1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the average price of a custom style?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xIsabel38, Jul 7, 2013.

1. xIsabel38

xIsabel38 Well-Known Member

As the topic says, I'm going to be investing soon in someone to do a completely custom XenForo style and I'm trying to figure out now what sort of pricetag most people offer for such services so I can begin saving up as these funds come out of pocket.

Some ideas about the style:
    I'm thinking an old style parchment scroll as the forum background, blocked two-column node layout, and a lot of pretty graphics to spice the layout up.

I'm not a fan of plain and functional because I believe beautiful and amazing can also be functional.

I'll likely be wanting this on XenForo 1.2 when it is released.

So how much do pay charge for such services?

2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

It varies.

Designers will typically charge by the hour unless you can find someone who does a flat rate. And those fees very depending on what is required.

I typically find @napy8gen to be affordable. He'll port over vBulletin styles to XenForo for $199 the last I know, which is very economical for a base price.

But again it depends on what you want, what is required, and how much time & effort is put into it. This is typical of most designers.

But a good designer can usually give you a quote in advance. :)

3. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Normally about $300 - $500 for something brand new and around $200-$300 porting it from another forum platform or making the forum match an existing site design.

Ernest L. Defoe likes this.
  4. xIsabel38

I'm in the process of creating a list of exactly what I want it to look like and how I want it to perform and operate. I even use MSPaint to draw up a basic layout, but until the time that I am ready to begin hiring someone, I just need some basic quotes on creating totally custom styles.

Off the top of my head, requirements would include:
    1. Extensive Forum Styles Development (Coding via CSS)
      -Taking a default XenForo 1.1.5 (or 1.2 if it comes out soon) and making it amazing with a unique theme and layout
    2. Extensive Graphic Design (Photoshop, GIMP, Photonet, etc...)
      -Background image, forum borders, node borders, category backgrounds, node icons
    I won't be needing any import services from VB or any other software, this will be a fresh forum.

5. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

Yeah I paid in that price range for a custom theme from @Russ and couldn't have been happier with how it turned out.

6. xIsabel38

Would you mind if I visited your site to take a lot at the work done. And was your theme created from a scratch and default XenForo or was it based off of another theme?

7. Ernest L. Defoe

Made from scratch and my site is located at http://www.simcitytalk.com

wickedstangs likes this.
  8. xIsabel38

Very nice site. I couldn't see the Wiki as a Guest. Are you using XenCarta for that? My site will require a Wiki but I can't decide between XenCarta, VaultWiki, or MediaWiki.

9. Ernest L. Defoe

Yeah I am using xenCarta......hang on a sec and I will allow guest viewing of the Wiki. @Russ put in alot of time and was really dedicated to making that theme look good. It's one he shows off in his thread on here.

10. Ernest L. Defoe

You should be able to see the Wiki now as a guest.

11. The Forum Heroes

Not for long! *cuts web server* hehe :cool:

12. xIsabel38

Hmm, see I'm not sure if I'm a fan of XenCarta. I am trying it out on my test site right now but I don't know. Biggest issue for me is the inability to put links where you want them.

Like for my Site a section of Equipment might read:
    Armor
    -Light Armor
    -Medium Armor
    -Heavy Armor

But with XenCarta I can't get them to format that way since it places links in alphabetical order. That also doesn't work for me if I wanted to do something like:

Level 1 Instance
    Level 5 Instance
    Level 7 Instance
    Level 10 Instance

The auto alphabetical listing would place it as:
    Level 1...
    Level 10
    Level 5
    Level 7

Anyway, this isn't a XenCarta thread (though the forum designer might have to do that layout too if I use it).

I have a question and here's something I've actually never seen done before. Is it possible to reformat the way an entire post looks. For example:
    Take this image:

-Removed images in order to keep some aspects of my wishes between myself and my developer-

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  13. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Possible? Yes

Although I would wonder why you would have the user name displayed twice.

14. The Forum Heroes

Sure, wouldn't be hard to do with CSS. Though on the right, instead of the username again I would do some custom fields like main EQ character name, character class, guild, realm.. etc.

Only thing that could be an issue like that using that background would be longer posts. as your space is limited.

xIsabel38 likes this.
  15. xIsabel38

Awesome ideas. The username twice thing was simply a for now idea but this idea is much much better. As far as the space thing goes, is it possible to have some sort of expanding image?

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  16. Ernest L. Defoe

The right person might be able to make it expand for longer posts. That would actually be a pretty awesome deal if it could get done.

17. xIsabel38

Haha, talking to you guys is giving me so many more ideas (and increasing the price tag on such a job)!

18. Ernest L. Defoe

But at the end of the day it would be worth it. Maybe not to anyone else but you but it will make you feel proud to have a custom unique theme that only you will have.

19. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Well... to an extent.

20. xIsabel38

Definitely! So I'm thinking a job like this might be around the $650 range? That sound reasonable?