What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

So this will work with a forum like Xenforo? Does it cache restricted content accessible to registered members only or just the public content?

We use Cloudflare. It absorbs 70% of our bandwidth and 99% of http floods/DDoS attacks, so I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I just started reading this. It is really interesting.

How would Cloudfare know whether to send a cached or new version of the page? Say I open the forum home page, it does not make a lot of sense to me for that request to go all the way to my servers, but rather, a cached version could be served as fine. If I have 500 users hitting the home page, would this translate in 500 hits to Cloudfare but just 1 for me?

Hi Rigel,

We don't impact dynamic content at all, so updates would still occur as they do now (CloudFlare caches static content). Visitors would actually be routed to the nearest CloudFlare datacenter to deliver the content. You would still be getting hits, but we would actually be saving a lot of those requests.
So, if I understand correctly, say I get 500 requests .... and those span to 2000 because of JS and CSS

My server would still get the 500 requests, for all the dynamic content
Cloudfare would server the JS and CSS, and I would be saving in the other 1500 requests

If I were to set an "expires" header on my PHP content, would cloudfare honor that and cache my dynamic content for say, 5 minutes?

"If I were to set an "expires" header on my PHP content, would cloudfare honor that and cache my dynamic content for say, 5 minutes?"
Yes, we should honor any expire headers you have set. We don't cache PHP content or other dynamic content at this time (may be a possibility down the road) . CloudFlare only caches static content file extensions.

"My server would still get the 500 requests, for all the dynamic content
Cloudfare would server the JS and CSS, and I would be saving in the other 1500 requests"
Hard to address specifically. On average, however, the average site owner sees about a 60% reduction in requests (depends on site, site content, etc.).

Some of you had reported issues with the admin section of your site & certain features breaking things like an editor. The good news is that we have a beta feature you can test to exclude CloudFlare from touching certain urls & you can access the beta feature by going to: https://www.cloudflare.com/page-rules?z=yourdomaincom (put your site in where it states yourdomain.com).

Please report any bugs or issues by contacting CloudFlare.

We use Cloudflare. It absorbs 70% of our bandwidth and 99% of http floods/DDoS attacks, so I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Same here, I started using CloudFlare last week only via my cPanel. Before using it I was getting tired of seeing many timed-out pages and slow loading of pages for hours on end regularly each day. The forum has been running a 100 times better since using CloudFlare. Spam registrations which was picking up pace has now stopped, I'm also seeing lots of site threats being blocked by CloudFlare in the settings page.

A question though? There are many options you can set with cloudflare. Currently I'm using BASIC cache, not simplifies or Aggressive. I've also activated the 3 icons for CSS, Minify, HTML e.t.c. Do you you have any tips for best setting to use with XenForo

cloudflare.webp

I rarely use it anymore because it makes my site go offline. I use it for my other forum though but I'm rarely on that one so I can't tell when it goes offline.

I rarely use it anymore because it makes my site go offline. I use it for my other forum though but I'm rarely on that one so I can't tell when it goes offline.

Did you have anything blocking requests from CloudFlare ips at the host or server level? If your site is getting offline messages, the only causes are (a) server down, or (b) something blocking requests from our ips.

Same here, I started using CloudFlare last week only via my cPanel. Before using it I was getting tired of seeing many timed-out pages and slow loading of pages for hours on end regularly each day. The forum has been running a 100 times better since using CloudFlare. Spam registrations which was picking up pace has now stopped, I'm also seeing lots of site threats being blocked by CloudFlare in the settings page.

A question though? There are many options you can set with cloudflare. Currently I'm using BASIC cache, not simplifies or Aggressive. I've also activated the 3 icons for CSS, Minify, HTML e.t.c. Do you you have any tips for best setting to use with XenForo

View attachment 22239

I really don't have any specific tips for settings for XenForo specifically. You could try Rocket Loader as well, which helps load your JavaScript faster, but I do need to give the caveat that it might break some JavaScript in Automatic Mode. If you see a script breaking with Rocket Loader turned on, you can put a script tag so we ignore that particular script.

You would want to use aggressive caching if you want items with a query string cached.

I would also strongly recommend making sure that you're getting original visitor IP returned to your logs.

Hearing this makes me VERY concerned to even attempt to use CloudFlare. Why risk it? How about just upgrading your own host account? I would like to understand more of the pros and cons to have the full picture.

Top Bottom