What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

This is kind of random and probably off topic but I have to admit I am very impressed with how far cloudflare has come. It's very great to see such an amazing company expand so rapidly great job on that one.

Is anyone here currently running XF 1.4.7 together with Cloudflare with "Rocket Loader" activated? Does it break anything/did you need to exclude any scripts? Did you notice an improvement?

Last edited:
I'm running 1.4.7 with the free plan of cloudflare. Everything perfect and running very fast. 99% - 99% in gtmetrix lol

included
R 2015-05-26 at 00.13.51.webp

here my gtmetrix report:
R 2015-05-25 at 12.45.06.webp

I've had problems with the rocket loader on a lot of the admin pages. But I really have it turned off because it doesn't really give a lot of benefit to cache those admin pages.

I've had problems with the rocket loader on a lot of the admin pages. But I really have it turned off because it doesn't really give a lot of benefit to cache those admin pages.

Can you please share cloudflare rocketloader settings, what needs to be done to setup and have no issues?

Truthfully, even if it worked (not sure if it does since I've never enabled it), Rocket Loader is a terrible idea for use with XenForo.

The whole premise of Rocket Loader is that CloudFlare is going to go in and rewrite how your JavaScript works on your site because you think CloudFlare can do a better job at optimizing JavaScript in your application (XenForo) better than XenForo developers can.

It's just a really bad idea. If you want to change something with how you load JavaScript, do it yourself so you have an understanding of *what* you are doing. Don't rely on Rocket Loader to understand your application better than the application developers.

CloudFlare is great, but don't try to get it to do more than it should be doing.

On their speed optimization settings:

Polish = I wouldn't use, but probably okay (removed image meta tags from your images on the fly)
Railgun = great, but only for Business/Pro plans
Mirage = I wouldn't use. I don't want CloudFlare messing with my images. They can't optimize them better than I can.
Rocket Loader = terrible, terrible idea to enable. Optimize your stuff at the application level if you want to do it, don't expect an automated process to be able to do it properly for you.

If you don't expect CloudFlare to do more than it should do, it's great.

Personally, I have all the auto-minify options enabled, use standard caching and made a few tweaks on my end so it does a better job at caching static content with XenForo (CSS, images, JavaScript, etc.) It makes static content is served to the end user from the closest CloudFlare data center to them.
network-map.png

The other big issue I've seen where people have problems with CloudFlare is when you are on a server or data center that tries to mitigate DDoS attacks without whitelisting CloudFlare IPs. When using CloudFlare, all traffic is going to come from a small number of IPs (all CloudFlare IPs). So a poorly configured DDoS mitigation system might see it as a DDoS attack and basically start blocking traffic from CloudFlare IPs (which makes your site unreachable to the end user).

A list of IPs to whitelist:

https://www.cloudflare.com/ips

For anti-DDoS mitigation and the ability to use their global data centers for serving static content, CloudFlare is great. Just don't expect it to do magical things like rewriting your application for you (Rocket Loader).

Anybody here enabled Authenticated Origin Pulls?
@digitalpoint do you have it enabled also?
No I don't... I have everything else enabled like
HTTP Strict Transport Security. The reason Authenticated Origin Pulls weren't that important to me is I actually block all IPs except CloudFlare's already. So it's not possible for someone to route to my website without going through CloudFlare as it is.

Literally the only traffic I allow to my servers from the outside world is from CloudFlare IPs and only on port 80 or 443.

upload_2015-6-1_10-41-0.webp

Do you have any automated system to updated your firewall rules when CloudFlare adds more IP's to their network, or is it a manual process, whenever their IP page changes?

Top Bottom