• PHPStorm

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Zend Studio

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Eclipse

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Netbeans

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Text editor w/ plugins (Sublime Text, Notepad++, etc)

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

Robust

I know there's been a thread about this already, but as far as I know it's about four years old. Just curious, what IDE do you use for development (specifically for XenForo add-ons, but PHP in general)? Reply with your reasons why if you wish. Some major ones are in the poll. Here are some interesting statistics from a poll of 4000 legitimate people.

I believe PHP Storm is used for developing XenForo (by Mike, Kier etc), and I think they used to use Zend Studio before that. Not 100% sure though.

I am currently using a trial of PHP Storm, will most likely purchase it near the end of my trial (when I get a new laptop, it's on the way). It's mainly because I used Intellij IDEA back when I was doing Java programming, and I really loved the interface.

Last edited:
A very good IDE but I don't use it anymore because it's Windows only is nuSphere PHPEd.

I used to experience all sorts of performance issues using the Eclipse based IDEs, such as Eclipse, Aptana and even the Zend Studio trial.

PHPEd, however, isn't java based so seemed to resolve a lot of my performance issues. It's a native Windows application and it just works great. When I started developing on a Mac as well as Windows I wanted a consistent experience when using my IDE so I settled with PHP Storm. It is also Java based but it's not based on Eclipse so I tend to get a pretty decent experience even in Windows.

I gave my PHPEd license to @Brogan and I think he's happy with it.

Worth checking out.

@MattW Looks quite nice actually. The screenshots I saw made it look really bad. Looks a bit like Visual Studio 2010, which looked pretty nice.

Top Bottom